What does the H+ symbol mean compared to 3g,

2008bangkok

Lucky you biggrin.png

H+ stands for HSDPA+, the second fastest online data mode at the time (just inferior to LTE aka 4G).

3g is slower in terms of technical limits.

Whether you will really "feel the difference" is another topic.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/G-H-E-3G-and-LTE-Making-sense-of-cell-network-alphabet-soup/ba-p/10735263

A bit more specific:

http://telecomtalk.info/difference-between-g-e-3g-h-4g-symbols-we-find-out/121666/

When you review misc articles about the topic, you will find that the symbols stand for a certain "main" generation of mobile data.

But each can have misc. releases with ever increasing data rates. Not a simple 1:1 relation.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Lucky you biggrin.png

H+ stands for HSDPA+, the second fastest online data mode at the time (just inferior to LTE aka 4G).

3g is slower in terms of technical limits.

Whether you will really "feel the difference" is another topic.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/G-H-E-3G-and-LTE-Making-sense-of-cell-network-alphabet-soup/ba-p/10735263

A bit more specific:

http://telecomtalk.info/difference-between-g-e-3g-h-4g-symbols-we-find-out/121666/

When you review misc articles about the topic, you will find that the symbols stand for a certain "main" generation of mobile data.

But each can have misc. releases with ever increasing data rates. Not a simple 1:1 relation.

So h+ is faster than 3g?

It depends how good the operator use the protokoll

On my old iPad 3 on true h showing 3G I got between 6 and Max of 12 Mbit in download in my home country with 3 Hutchinson also in old 3G mode hdspa plus is used on all avalible data channels and I got a download speed up to 27 mbits!

More then double from here!

Also 4g can have a slow connection!

In Thailand are to many customer used at same time

Means no matter is it hdspa plus or 3G you not see any diffrence in real because the network capacity to each user is limited!operator Hutchinson in my home country plans priority data usage for that customers that pay more get a better speed!

I wonder why this money making bisness mashine Thai operators not yet use!

So h+ is faster than 3g?

Yes, HSPA+ is the fastest, measured in speed of data upload/download, of the various 3G technologies. Sorta the final revision of 3G GMS technologies before the switch to more efficient 4G technologies using OFDM. Your mobile phone will use normal GSM channel for a phone call but will switch to H+ for data applications such as using your mobile as a wifi hotspot or Facetime and so on.

To be completely honest, an "average" consumer cannot tell the difference between H+ and 4G, but that same consumer will buy a 4G phone and pay more for network access because of the slick marketing around 4G. I use a 3G/H+ SIM card in my phone and use my phone for hotspot regularly. It's cheaper than 4G, almost as fast, and more widely available.

• Like 2

It's better - in theory! The reality is that the the actual service delivery from your provider is unlikely, if ever, to reach the maximum possible allowed by the hardware, or even for that matter, the average speeds your provider will claim to give you.

I have H+ and according to Okla speed tests I have run the best download speed I have ever seen is 11Mb\sec. Averaging out the dozen or so tests I have made over the past few months it's only 3Mb\sec with the worst speed of 0.34Mb\sec.

So many variables to take into account such as location, signal strength, bandwidth available v's number of users etc etc. I don't see any improvement on my new handset which is H+ over my old 3g only handset. Most people I've spoken to with 4g also see no actual gain in average performance over there previous 3g\H+ device....

I not pay more for 4 g network access, I still have my old first avalible 599 Baht promotion , and when 3 gb is used up, and I have 4 g access I can use the whole 3 gb again in total 6 gb a month without paying more!

Maybe it's only temporary , but at moment it is like it is!