VISA run Phitsanulok to Mae Sot

There's a post regarding this but it's quite old. Briefly it says there a van from the Phitsanulok bus station every day, it stops at Sukhothai and Tak before arriving at Mae Sot. As now Phitsanulok has two bus stations. The questions are: which one and is there anything else new? I'm A new to this and i could do with saving some leg work.

Thanks, Mike

I can't answer your question about the bus station. But you can always just take a bus to Tak and from there take a bus or minibus to Mae Sod. During day time there used to be a minibus every hour between Tak en Mae Sod, leaving from the bus station.

How far is the distance from pizanolok to Burma , ?

243km 3hr 9min plus stops.

May I ask have You done this trip in that time?

3hr 9min - No that is the Google est. - in the past we would stop a number of times coming and going so could not say the real life times we would have made, but still a long day trip there and back was done without a problem.

Back in the day we had to walk across the bridge and come back for a visa run but that didn't take long.

You might find road construction between Tak and border these days if I have heard right. We have not made the trip in some time but much of the road is better now then it was then with more 4 lane so you will make better time in those sections then before.

I called in at both the old and the new bus stations earlier this week. There's a bus from both stations to Mae Sot. The one nearest to me is the Indo China interchange. First one out 05:20 calls at Tak; 174 bahts one way. The price of the bus to the border I don't know it can't be a lot. I'll take the bus and a good book. It will be less work and should save In between 400 & 600 bahts on the diesel, that's allowing for two tickets as the wife will tag along to be sure I come back.

How far is the distance from pizanolok to Burma , ?

243km 3hr 9min plus stops.

May I ask have You done this trip in that time?

3hr 9min - No that is the Google est. - in the past we would stop a number of times coming and going so could not say the real life times we would have made, but still a long day trip there and back was done without a problem.

Back in the day we had to walk across the bridge and come back for a visa run but that didn't take long.

You might find road construction between Tak and border these days if I have heard right. We have not made the trip in some time but much of the road is better now then it was then with more 4 lane so you will make better time in those sections then before.

Most of the construction between Tak and Mae Sot is now confined to a short stretch of the first 20km of divided highway, which used to be in very good condition but for some reason the inbound lanes are now in horrible condition and being redone, however, this shouldn't slow you down much.

The last dual carriageway stretch down the mountain towards Mae Sot is now complete and in very good condition. Overall, it still shouldn't take much more than about 75mins to cover the 86km between Tak and Mae Sot, but it can be up to 90mins or so if you're trailing a lot of trucks.

Information correct as of last week - 6th of February. That's when I travelled from Hpa-an in Myanmar via Myawady/Mae Sot to Bangkok, all easily done in one day.

If you have a valid visa with remaining entries you will not have a problem,

I am certain those turned back did not have a visa and were trying to get another visa exempt entry after having more than one already. The problem is that people incorrectly call visa exempt entries tourist visas which creates a lot of confusion.

• 4 months later...

Just got back today on the 5th of July, 2015. I will try and get a post out this week with all the info. How to get there by van or bus, were to eat and stay, ect...If you can't wait, leave me your cell number.

First read the post by OOLEBER; Mae sot current visa run process as at 17th March 2015

That is the one I went by...Now I took a van from Phitsanulok bus statoon at 7:30 am, they leave ever hour. 170 baht.

Yes the van is faster, if you like to put your life in the hands of a f!@king Thai driver...when you get your ticket, tell them you what to go all the way to the Border bridge. Now do as OOLEBER said in his post.

If you take the bus and do pay for the VIP ticket, you need to go to the new station up the road from the border bridge.

It took me 10 mins on the Thai side and 10 mins to walk over the bridge, then cross the road over to the right side.

Walked in the last sliding door, and gave my passport w/500 baths. He will give you a card with a number on it, and tell you that you can not stay longer then 24 hrs. So I did some fast shopping, when back and got my passport and walked back over the bridge.(shopping & back to the sliding door, 20 mins)...remember, do not stand in any lines with the Burmese...we have are own lines/windows.

The Passport Restaurant is by far the best place in town to eat, and the hotel is nice also. The Hop Inn hotel is nice & clean, and the beds are so soft...for only 600 baths a night.

When I get to Mae sot, I check in to my room, than take a cab to the bridge and don't forget to get the cabs phone #.

I hope this info helped any of you...And take the bus/van at the new station on your way back.

Robin

Ret. U.S. Army, MSG/18C

First read the post by OOLEBER; Mae sot current visa run process as at 17th March 2015

That is the one I went by...Now I took a van from Phitsanulok bus statoon at 7:30 am, they leave ever hour. 170 baht.

Yes the van is faster, if you like to put your life in the hands of a f!@king Thai driver...when you get your ticket, tell them you what to go all the way to the Border bridge. Now do as OOLEBER said in his post.

If you take the bus and do pay for the VIP ticket, you need to go to the new station up the road from the border bridge.

It took me 10 mins on the Thai side and 10 mins to walk over the bridge, then cross the road over to the right side.

Walked in the last sliding door, and gave my passport w/500 baths. He will give you a card with a number on it, and tell you that you can not stay longer then 24 hrs. So I did some fast shopping, when back and got my passport and walked back over the bridge.(shopping & back to the sliding door, 20 mins)...remember, do not stand in any lines with the Burmese...we have are own lines/windows.

The Passport Restaurant is by far the best place in town to eat, and the hotel is nice also. The Hop Inn hotel is nice & clean, and the beds are so soft...for only 600 baths a night.

When I get to Mae sot, I check in to my room, than take a cab to the bridge and don't forget to get the cabs phone #.

I hope this info helped any of you...

Robin

Ret. U.S. Army, MSG/18C

Edited by doggie1955
  • Like 1