Be Careful Driving on the Roads in Chiang Mai. Video--Not for the Faint of Heart

mesquite

The only way I can figure out how he got into that position is that he pulled out of BigC, turned right perhaps as a short cut, confusion, or incapacitated. Sad anyway he managed it.

I don't think its the Big C underpass, I think its the one by City Hall. Very odd junction layout but still hard to figure out how he ended up on the wrong side of the carriageway.

You're right, it is that one - Google Street View

What was he doing in the opposite lane?

Looked like a "cartwheel", then a backflip....

One Chin more down

I.ve got to say it: What kind of people post stuff like this?

Someone died a terrible death and at least one other may be reliving the moment for years.

Unbelievable.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

Here's a translation of the original article:

????????????

------------------------------------

08.00. Today (Jan 31) IV. Accidents Registration for Car Crash Course 7288 Chiang Mai motorcycle up to 605 Mt in the tunnel underpass Ring Road 2 Chiang Mai Provincial. People riding a motorcycle is Mr.Surachai intelligence, age 37, residing at 77/1 Moo 6. Simon spins in. Fang, Chiang Mai., Died at the scene immediately in the head, limbs broken motorcycle demolished. Parts scattered all over the floor surface. The front left passenger cars were damaged.
The investigation Ms. handsome white stone is 43 years old Land Officials Mai. The motorist was driving the car that intersection as lucky. Headed the government center The tunnel This is the Way And a curve Motorcycle riding is deceased sneak back arrow on the left lane from the government center in Chiang Mai. That is their right lane
Additionally, the curves make themselves invisible. Car was hit full force. Grant died on the spot They are not shocked by the incident.
However, the authorities have checked the CCTV at the time again to be attributed to the expression of the investigation. The accident was considered as an example. Drivers who violate traffic rules.

Just 3 or 4 nights ago I had a similar incident when a motorbike with 2 young lads on it shot straight out of a side street to turn right, right in front of me. I managed to brake and swerve and avoid them, but it was quite literally by inches. I was maybe only doing about 50km an hour but it still had the potential of being very nasty. I was amazed at how quickly I managed to react, especially considering that they shot out from the side, and also how good brakes are on cars these days. Most people never get to test them like I did.

Two young kids, driving in a mind-numbingly stupid way could so easily have been killed and changed theirs and my life. In all of my years of driving in Thailand this was the closest escape I ever had. They had also managed to swerve slightly and avoid me, so they did exactly as you might expect and carried on down the road, hopefully scared shitless with a lesson learned.

As I said that was the closest I've had in avoiding a fatal accident, but not the closest I had in having an accident. 12 years or more ago I had a head on crash with a pickup that pulled out in front of me. But that is a different story. Unfortunately, my view is that having a bad accident in Thailand is more likely a case of 'when' than 'if'. No matter how well you drive the two incidents I had and the one in the video here were totally unavoidable .

Optimistic......

My guess is they laughed about it for several KM, particularly if they spotted you as a farang driver.

Dual carriageways haven't really caught on here.

I wouldn't dream of driving in thailand .. I used to own a mitzubishi jeep with bull bars and still I wouldn't drive it here in thailand now way.. r.i.p.

Are you afraid of the dark too?

Only when drunk people are driving on the roads.. what about you?...feeling suicidal?

Then, you don't drive anywhere, eh? As I suggested earlier to another overly apprehensive poster, just stay in bed, never go out; you may encounter an irate som tom vendor.

• Like 1

I wouldn't dream of driving in thailand .. I used to own a mitzubishi jeep with bull bars and still I wouldn't drive it here in thailand now way.. r.i.p.

Are you afraid of the dark too?
Only when drunk people are driving on the roads.. what about you?...feeling suicidal?

Then, you don't drive anywhere, eh? As I suggested earlier to another overly apprehensive poster, just stay in bed, never go out; you may encounter an irate som tom vendor.

Oh I go everywhere homie. .. doesn't mean I have to drive now does it? And I can have a drink too... guess you don't ;-)

bigwhitewarrior said, "Oh I go everywhere homie. .. doesn't mean I have to drive now does it? And I can have a drink too... guess you don't ;-)"

Since it is apparent my statement went over your head; drunk drivers are in other countries too. And, where in my statements did you come up with the notion that I did not drink? I am getting rather bored with this, you may have the last word.

bigwhitewarrior said, "Oh I go everywhere homie. .. doesn't mean I have to drive now does it? And I can have a drink too... guess you don't ;-)"

Since it is apparent my statement went over your head; drunk drivers are in other countries too. And, where in my statements did you come up with the notion that I did not drink? I am getting rather bored with this, you may have the last word.

You are absolutely right .. of course there are drunk drivers in other country's too! However 2 things. First no one knows (yet) if the bike rider was drunk ..and secondly ... other country's have far more stringent driving tests than thailand ! 90% of the drivers here would never pass a driving test anywhere else ;-)

As far as boring is concerned ... you started !!!

Sad... but I don't know if a driver could have anticipated that. It's a bend and even if the driver in the car was super human the motorbike was probably already going fast enough to kill or maim themselves horribly. I'm hard pressed to know how they could have gotten on that road mistakenly. I'm sad for all the people who die because of carelessness, mistakes or negligence by another driver. This on the other hand almost looks like suicide. Sad for them but this should never have happened in the first place.

Since being in Thailand I have seen a lot of people take amazing risks to just save a few minutes or a few kilo-meters. I've seen many close calls even with people crossing the roads on foot. Anyone that has spend anytime on the road as a driver knows that unless it's a real long haul, no time is effectively saved or if it is then it's only a few minutes.

We all have to make sure we pay attention on the roads at all time and treating everyone driving and walking around with suspicion of doing unexpected things.