Be Careful Driving on the Roads in Chiang Mai. Video--Not for the Faint of Heart

mesquite

Again, not for the faint of heart. Motorbike driver gets creamed going the wrong way on an underpass on Ring Road 2.

Be careful, they say, but how do you prepare for something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&feature=player_embedded&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=ZJ-wazFuaMc

The link to the (Thai) news article is here

http://www.cmprice.com/forum/?content=detail&wb_type_id=18&topic_id=171751

Edited by mesquite

Darwin award.

Still, rest in peace.

And how do you prepare for it: By not driving a motorbike yourself, but as fat a truck or SUV as you can find.

Or by driving a tank, perhaps ? whistling.gif

People do tend to give way at junctions, to tanks/APCs, IME. laugh.png

At a car wash last week waiting for my car. Little shop next door serving shots of alcohol. 3 guys were there drinking - one was so drunk someone else had to start his motorbike for him! The other two not quite as falling down drunk as he was but pretty inebriated both got into their p/u's & drove off. Our fellow travelers. I hate driving here.

It's work to actually drive a car. Most Thais do not drive the car, rather the car drives them. They just point it in a general direction. As for motor bike riders they are the most dangerous, inconsiderate and rude drivers along with the tuk tuk drivers!

The only way I can figure out how he got into that position is that he pulled out of BigC, turned right perhaps as a short cut, confusion, or incapacitated. Sad anyway he managed it.

I don't think its the Big C underpass, I think its the one by City Hall. Very odd junction layout but still hard to figure out how he ended up on the wrong side of the carriageway.

• Like 1

He must have seen the two cars just ahead of the one he pranged into and realised he was going the wrong way???

RIP to the poor fella.........not a nice way to go.

Maybe not. From his perspective, it must have looked like he was driving in the left lane. I note that in the Thai article, they gave the guy's address as very rural Fang District. Maybe he was a country bumpkin, unfamiliar with these underpasses and took off in the direction he wanted to go without a thought to the divided highway.

• Like 2