The "Problems" Of Getting A Taxi In Lower Sukhumvit...

Sviss Geez

I reckon about 50/50 hit rate for us.

Going to Suck 'im quick often results in a refusal.

I stayed in Dusit once and every taxi took me first time.

I've taken to staying now in Silom near a BTS and hey presto.....no issues and a near 100% "OK"

Guess it is all down to the time od day and where you want to go.

• Like 1

Last week was on Suk Soi 19 and wanted to go with my thai wife and daughter to the Grand Palace, as my daughter hasnt been there since she was a kid.

Missus stopped 4 taxis before she found one who would go, all saying the traffic was too bad. 5th one took us and the traffic wasn't too bad at all.Was that happy with his service gave him a 40 bht tip.

Can't work them out.

Last Friday night/Saturday morning I left the Lounge Bar/New Wave in Soi 7 just after 3.00 am and walked down to Sukhumvit. I stopped a taxi, told the driver where I wanted to go (a 30/40 minute trip), got in, he turned the meter on and took me home. When we got to my destination he charged me the amount that was showing on the meter.

People who are unfamiliar with Bangkok should be aware that it is very rare that anything different happens.

Last Friday/Saturday morning 01:00 am I left Soi 11, gave up trying to get a metered taxi so walked to Asoke, flagged down a taxi to Ratchada, dropped at the door for 62 Baht and gave 38 baht tip to a very grateful taxi driver.

Majority of Bangkok taxis are rented at about 1,000 Baht for a 12 hour period. Returning late inconveniences, loss of earnings, etc for the follow-on driver and is difficult to explain to fares if their route would mean a late return for their shift.

I think it's really hit and miss and depends on what side of Sukhumvit Road you're on. About 2 months ago I left Soi 11 at around 3am and the taxis wouldn't take anyone western or Thai on the meter. I stopped 5 taxis myself and must have seen more than 20 taxis turn down fares. Crossed over the road and walked down to McDonald's on the other side and the second one I stopped took me.

I don't think they are as bad as some people make out but at certain times in certain locations you can have a nightmare.

I've started using the Grab Taxi app and it is proving to be a godsend - every time I've used it I've had a friendly driver with a clean car and no quibbles about turning on the meter as they have chosen the job via the app.

• Like 1

For my sixpenceworth, I used taxis for two trips last Thursday. Nana soi 4 to Pratunam and later Nana soi 4 to MBK. The first fare was 53 baht, the second 57 baht. However, the actual taxis were about the 5th or 6th I asked to stop. Most of the drivers were asking me for 200 - 300 baht off meter. I told them they were ' joanplons ' and shut the doors. Both journeys saw the drivers get a nice tip for being honest.

I think it's really hit and miss and depends on what side of Sukhumvit Road you're on.

I find it's best to be on the side of the road where they're already pointing in the right direction.

True - although my example it's actually the opposite direction, I'm taking a taxi to far sukhumvit so the most logical would be to get a taxi on the uneven numbered side as that's the way the car needs to go, however it's appallingly bad traffic at least to Asok and often as far as Thonglor. Getting a taxi on the other side allows them to turn down soi 2 and then back along Rama 4 road (which is generally almost deserted) and then pop back onto Sukhumvit around Ekamai or Prakanong.

Last week was on Suk Soi 19 and wanted to go with my thai wife and daughter to the Grand Palace, as my daughter hasnt been there since she was a kid.

Missus stopped 4 taxis before she found one who would go, all saying the traffic was too bad. 5th one took us and the traffic wasn't too bad at all.Was that happy with his service gave him a 40 bht tip.

Can't work them out.

Its fair to say the traffic can be bad down there....same as around Silom/Sathorn.

They are likely just looking for shorter fares and easier money.

Some trips are a pain for the drivers....and that will be passed on to the customer by way of a few minutes finding a willing driver.

I don't mind paying the 200THB non-metered rate to go from BTS Sala Daeng to BTS Saphan Taksin late at night as I figure it averages the same since I took the Skytrain one-way.

Now, if we could have the BTS Skytrain and Airport Link run until 3 a.m. or so, then we can show those dishonest cabbies who's boss!

• Like 1

In fact I see more people having to ask more than one taxi before they get a lift to where they are going.

TIP. Don't ask. Open the door, get in, close the door and tell him where to go. THAT'S HIS JOB!

If he refuses... point your phone camera at his dashboard ID and take a photo. If he still refuses...get another taxi and report him.

• Like 2

Sorry you are telling us a taxi driver took you home in his taxi. I could use one of your favorite saying now "it happens all over the world"

I think when you feel the need to post that someone has done their job, then you yourself are admitting there is a problem.

I bought a diet Coke from the 7-11 yesterday and the girl behind the counter served me. She served me because that is her job. She is paid to serve people.

Will you be starting a new thread on everyone in Bangkok who does their job ?

I got a taxi and the taxi took me home... That deserves a thread for sure. I hope you have arranged for said taxi driver to be awarded Thailand's highest taxi drivers medal award.

A man did his job and got a thread dedicated to him for doing so. Praise be the lord.

The difference between your daft 7-11 example and my post making a genuine point is that 7-11 girls serving coke do not get constant slagging and complaints from the public for ripping them off and refusing to serve them whereas taxi drivers do. I was redressing the balance from my point of view.

"A man did his job and got a thread dedicated to him for doing so. Praise be the lord."..if you don't like the thread you don't have to contribute to it.

As Sviss Geez has pointed out most of the taxi drivers take me where I want to go with no complaint...often a smile...enduring the traffic nightmare daily and all for fares which are very cheap by Western standards.

I love Bangkok taxis generally....bar a couple of spots in the tourist areas and outside CentralWorld of course lol.

Just though I'd post my experience, which also happens to be very typical as far as I'm concerned.

Last Friday night/Saturday morning I left the Lounge Bar/New Wave in Soi 7 just after 3.00 am and walked down to Sukhumvit. I stopped a taxi, told the driver where I wanted to go (a 30/40 minute trip), got in, he turned the meter on and took me home. When we got to my destination he charged me the amount that was showing on the meter.

People who are unfamiliar with Bangkok should be aware that it is very rare that anything different happens.

Really? So all the Thai people complaining about taxis are "unfamiliar" with BKK? Even though they are Thai and live here? It is becoming increasingly rare to get a taxi to take you where you want to go on the first try.......... Ask any Thai person and they will tell you the same.

Of course not, I'm not talking about Thais or other locals complaining, I'm setting the record straight from my perspective and suggesting to people that are unfamiliar with Bangkok that not every taxi driver is a scammer and fraudster despite ThaiVisa posts. Your post is a prime example of why I posted my experience.

I don't mind paying the 200THB non-metered rate to go from BTS Sala Daeng to BTS Saphan Taksin late at night as I figure it averages the same since I took the Skytrain one-way.

Now, if we could have the BTS Skytrain and Airport Link run until 3 a.m. or so, then we can show those dishonest cabbies who's boss!

200thb?! It's less than 15 minutes by car.

If I take a taxi on the meter to KS Road it takes almost an hour and still is only 150

met a very nice taxi driver last night speaks good english, was polite, and he is taking my mate to the airport tonight at 6pm dont know if i can do this but here goes, he gave me is card PAUL LEE 089 159 9199 , say the guy from sukhumvit plus told you,

If I take a taxi on the meter to KS Road it takes almost an hour and still is only 150

I need to work on my negotiation skills at this late hour. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely seek a lower off-the-meter rate next time.

• Like 1

I need to work on my negotiation skills at this late hour. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely seek a lower off-the-meter rate next time.

Genuinely I think 100 is more than fair - they will get a decent tip from that. Alternatively install grab taxi and you order a taxi to your location and enter your destination before they even accept the job (it sends it out to all the drivers in the area.

It helps to speak a little thai or be with someone who does as they will likely call to confirm your location. It's 25 on top of a regular taxi far but so far for me it's been great. Can order in advance too.