The "Problems" Of Getting A Taxi In Lower Sukhumvit...

Sviss Geez

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Black cabs turn down fares. Anyone who's lived south of the river will tell you that.

Then you have the other types of cab that operate as they wish.

This hasn't been the case for some years now - minicabs in London are licensed nowadays, and expected to abide by certain rules and regulations.

So not all Black cab drivers will stop. But all Mini cabs are licensed.

Then you have the other types of cab that operate as they wish.

This hasn't been the case for some years now - minicabs in London are licensed nowadays, and expected to abide by certain rules and regulations.

So not all Black cab drivers will stop. But all Mini cabs are licensed.

This might come as a shock to you - but sometimes people break the law. Everywhere in the world.

Did you duck. or did that really go that far over your head ?

I'm sure you feel like you're scoring a point of some kind here.

I don't really see it, but I'm feeling charitable today - so go ahead, take your little victory. smile.png

I'm sure you are not the only one to miss this obtuse geezer's musings.

He's probably from Hemel Hempstead. ;)

Assuming you don't have the time, the skills or the APP to go with UBER or Grab Taxi, here is a more efficient way to get a taxi in lower Sukhumvit.

Forget ALL ABOUT what taxis are "supposed" to do "back 'ome" in London or Sydney. They're NOT going to do that here in Bangkok.

Never bother with the "spider taxis" that hang out at major intersections or at hotels. They're not there for your convenience, they're there for theirs.

Straighten yourself out so that you don't look like you've just stumbled off Had Rin beach in the light of the Full Moon.

Decide on a landmark or BTS or MRT station before you hail the cab. Practice saying it because if you don't speak THAI that's ALL you're going to have to tell him.

Cross Sukhumvit if you need to and hail a red-lit cab with your hand pointed down to the road.

If he lowers his passenger window for you to tell him where to go, don't even bother talking to him. There's a huge correlation between these curb crawlers and drivers who refuse to use meters.

Open the rear door.

Get in and give him your destination. "Bpai BTS Ari, krap"

If he quizzes you as to what route you'd prefer he's just testing you to see if you have a clue. If he hesitates, just ask him "rujak mai krap ?

DONT get into any discussions and don't give him any maps (he can't read them)

If he takes you where you want to go and drops you off with NO HASSLE give the guy a nice tip.

He's one of the good ones.

Women alone ?? Been drinking ?? Just had a fight with the Kao San Rd bf ??

Think very hard about this first if it's dark.

Who gives a sheeeeet what cabs in merry ole london do. I've had good experiences as well as less than desirable one with taxis in Thailand. But I always make to my destination and that's what's important.

I think that was my point here Helmesman.

Next time somebody's whingeing away about something here just check it out.

Way more than half the complaints here on TV involve aspects of Thai life that the OP expects will conform to what he's used to at home.

This weird "missionary attitude" can extend to pretty well ANY aspect of expat life . . . . . . from taxis to food to women.

But they never mention that the taxis are the world's cheapest or the women are some of the world's most feminine.

Both are decidedly beyond the TV complainer's appreciation of their Old Country counterparts.

Think about it.

If most of the guys who post here ever tried back home to get a hometown girl who looked to like one of these "lower Sukhumvit" tarts into a hometown cab and eventually tried ride both for the same fare, it'd be his first step on the way to jail. ;-))

Just sayin'

Edited by Donnie Brasco

Thai women. So famously 'feminine' that you can stick some makeup and a pair of fake tits on a Thai man and people can't tell the difference...

You have a point about the taxis, though.

Regarding that whole sector of the Bkk evening crowd who, if they'd thought anything through at all might have opted for welding courses instead of joining body-mod covens . . . . . . sapeak for yourself SoiBker.

(Usually, fifty meters in the dark is close enough for me to figure out what's a feministo and whats a Thai tart.

as a frequent visitor to Bangkok it seems to me that all the Bangkok taxi drivers are interested in is driving to the airport and back.

many a time I have hailed a taxi at the Soi 4 crossroads to travel across town even with my destination written in Thai and Mr Taxi driver is not interested.

as a frequent visitor to Bangkok it seems to me that all the Bangkok taxi drivers are interested in is driving to the airport and back.

many a time I have hailed a taxi at the Soi 4 crossroads to travel across town even with my destination written in Thai and Mr Taxi driver is not interested.

I was told by my last Taxi driver that took me to the Airport that he could not get a fare back because he did not have the Airport Permit / license that would let him pick up passengers downstairs at the official taxi area

Is that true ?

uber is evil, wants you to 'trust' them, handover your creditcard, and they keep the number forever.

grabtaxi, seems to be cash on delivery , i'm going to try it

i read that one guy, when driver pulls up and rolls down windows, just waves them on, or any unreasonable attempt like that, i watched a guy with luggage this morning and 2 elderlys ask and not get like 10 taxis, pointing himself towards suk main road..... midmorning there seem to also be fewer

Is grab taxi similar to uber? And I can see 100THB being more than reasonable based on your previous example. Usually I am leaving from Sala Daeng to 65, Charoen Krung, which is about ~5 blocks at the late night hour.

I speak some Thai, but would not be able to take a phone call.

But this is all very helpful as I should learn and practice and memorize a practical scenario when a cab calls to confirm an appointment. I will do this next for my Thai Lessons!

Nemo app for iPhone is very useful for learning Thai.

uber is evil, wants you to 'trust' them, handover your creditcard, and they keep the number forever.

Really? what about any other business you pay using your credit card ?

---------

UBER charges slightly more than conventional taxi... (approx 30-50% more) but you are also in a far cleaner and better car (Camry), the drivers are all extremely polite and reliable, there is no messing around.... The drivers all use an iPad as GPS and never get lost.

GrabTaxi uses conventional taxi's and is simply a taxi booking App... for a 20 baht surcharge (all paid directly to the driver)... IMO still better than flagging down a taxi as you have all the details (of the car and driver) - this reduces the risk of issues.

Edited by richard_smith237