Fined for not having license

MrEnigma

Last Friday I was stopped in my car at the Soi Khow Noi train intersection. I was asked 'do you have license' I said yes, but was in my house. Without hesitation he said 400 baht fine. You must pay tomorrow.

Well it seems I've got seven days to produce. Not a problem, but what are my options here?

BTW I do have 5 year license.

Did you get a ticket?

If so it should tell you where to produce your documents and pay the fine.

If you decide to ignore same you may have problems renewing you road tax next time.

If no ticket, nothing to do.

Likely that it is Nongprue police station where the fine should be paid.

The fine ticket will only get you off the hook if stopped without the licence being on you within the first 48 hours, not later.

And, yes, you have to be able to produce it when asked in future when driving.

I always carry copies of everything they may ask for: DL, passport incl. visa-pages, entry stamp, departure card and 90-day report, insurance-sticker and a copy of my green-book (paid tax)

The copies are always accepted.

Beware of carrying your original green book in your bike.............green book + bike can be easily sold.......well not that easy, but it makes it possible.

BTW....I don't have a Thai license but I'm carrying my National license.....never a problem.......last time only a friendly advise from the officer: "Misterrr, why you not make Thai license, easy naa!!"

Well went to Bunglamung, was told to go to nongprue. Paid the fine no drama. In and out on 5 mins.

I have lived in Thailand for 7 years over a period of 14 years in which I have been stopped 5 times, and I have been fined on the spot for 'whatever reason' just tea money really.

Never been asked to show license. Which is why I did not carry it.

Will do from now on. I might even get copy of visa as well.

Definetly targeting fralangs.

Pure liberty.

Rant over

Lesson learnt

• Advanced Members
  • 767 posts

I was stopped at the same l place a few weeks ago. He asked for my passport and licence--I produced photo-copies of each. No good he told me. I paid him 500 as asked.

Also got caught recently for no seat belt on--ah well.

Copy of driving licence is not valid but copy of passport and latest visa is accepted.

I use credit card size colour versions laminated and kept in wallet.

Foreigners may feel targeted but if they have the correct documents as per Thai laws then its a few seconds out of your life and on you go.

I live in Isaan outside Nong Bua Lamphu and we have vehicle checks from time to time up here.

I carry my Thai driver's license and when I approach the nice policeman, I simply hold up my license.

Nine time out of then they smile and wave me through. That tenth time the policeman might look at it, smile and hand it back to me.

I always leave the house with the license and passport and keep it close to me at all times.

It probably was check license day, next week it may be check helmet day.

Can't have it all at the same time, isn't it.

"Can't have it all at the same time, isn't it."

You want them to check car drivers for licenses and helmets?

car-helmets.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

It probably was check license day, next week it may be check helmet day.

Can't have it all at the same time, isn't it.

"Can't have it all at the same time, isn't it."

You want them to check car drivers for licenses and helmets?

car-helmets.jpg

You just answered your own question.

In the UK it used to be produce in 7 days but now I think they just check with DVLC.

But if you do not have a licence, expect to have your car crushed as not only do you not have a licence even if you do have insurance it would be "null & void", if you are a banned driver expect worse.

Now they stated last month that you need your passport, not a copy. This came from the big guy. Anyway the US says you should always carry your passport. So if you get fined do not complain. The Thai drivers License does work very well, never been asked for anything else.

Why you didn't pay the usual 100 thb...

so are you saying one must tear up the written fine and instead offer a Bt.100 bribe ?

I got done twice around christmas at Khao Noi on the bypass as well for expired licence, fine = Bt400.

Both times they had the road blocked and were pulling over every vehicle/scooter regardless of the skin colour of the driver/rider.