Most Peculiar...

Niloc

Whenever I go to a site I have been using for years, it is an Australian Bank, as soon as I arrive the screen hesitates for a second or two and then shuts down, goes black, the computer itself appears to be still going but the screen is completely black!!

I am using Firefox so I tried it with IE but same result, I tried with a mate's computer and no problem so I assume I have picked up a virus or something.

I have a firewall (Zone Alarm) and I use AVG, I have done a complete scan, even tried disconnecting the modem but no difference....

I can't wait to get my Linux box working!!

Any advice??

Edited by Niloc

I would first clear out all your cookies (or at least any for that bank) and catch and see if that helps. After clearing would try IE first as that seems to be the only browser you can be sure is allowed at all sites.

You could also ask bank if they have changed anything. It could be your mates computer had a newer version or plug in than you do not have and that bank now requires.

Thanks fellas, have done all that but it still needs a restart after every visit, I seems to go as soon as I get to the site, it is still loading gif images for buttons etc.

I did manage to get to the page I wanted by a roundabout method, I pretended I wanted to open a new account, and it didn't fall over, just appeared normal.

Thanks fellas, have done all that but it still needs a restart after every visit, I seems to go as soon as I get to the site, it is still loading gif images for buttons etc.

I did manage to get to the page I wanted by a roundabout method, I pretended I wanted to open a new account, and it didn't fall over, just appeared normal.

Don't use your australian bank website as long as you have not resolved this. Might very well be a virus.

I would recommend to re-install Windows.

Besides the tools mentioned above, one we ask the staff to use here daily is CCleaner found at http://www.ccleaner.com/ . We saw this on TechTV a number of years ago and have been using ever since, a great tool for sorting out the start menu, registry entry errors, cookies and so much more.

Edited by jsat

if it worked before try a system retore to a point when it worked

not totally clear on what is actually happening by your description, is your screen just going blankor window freezes up or both, do you have to reboot to get it back again, is your hardrive active when this happens ?

sounds like your browser is not allowing you to access a scure website

I cannot do a 'restore' as I am using Win 2000, it is the logon screen for ING.com.au and we fixed it!!

I logged on this morning and it all worked, a little window came up telling me about Java, probably because I reinstalled the Java suite and it worked straight away..

I did a Java course at a Melbourne University about three years ago and was not impressed with it as a programming language, too clumsy and brought back memories of BASIC as an interpreted language, I know Java is not interpreted but it seemed that way.

Thanks for all your help, working on the theory that where oats grow, barley probably grows too, is there anyone in Bangkok who goes anywhere near Pantip Plaza who would be willing to source me some softwareI cannot find in Chiang Mai and send it up? It will get you a free bed in Pai forever!!