Thai editorial: Blinded by patriotic faith?

webfact

"And he suggested that the impeachment of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was driven by political motives among the junta-installed National Legislative Assembly."

He obviously didnt look at the available information or the evidence or he would have realized she was guilty as charged. Criticism of some things can be accepted but when the truth is there for all to see that she did not do her duties as pm and the head of the rice scheme we have to wonder why he would make such a stupid comment, showed he was not anywhere near up to date on what has been happening here and has relied on what she claimed entirely. He stuck his foot firmly in his mouth and made the US look very foolish.

• Like 1

A government that bitterly protests every criticism is either inept or has something to hide. Bangkok "elite" having made such a terrible mess of things.

It appears that the Junta and their paymasters think they "own" Thailand.

it is their plaything.... and because they have the money, power and force they can do what they want.

the people are being told that what they are doing "is for their own good".

If one studies Thai history it becomes immediately obvious that this is the way it has always been.

A feudal system where the rich and powerful have all the rights and the people have almost none.

It is now the year 2015, and many democratic institutions are being established in other countries daily.

Democracy is being accepted as the natural way forward.

Yet here in Thailand, the old guard are hoping that they can continue with the way it has always been.

Despite all the rhetoric, one cannot ignore the facts.

The longer this Junta continues to tread on basic human rights, the worse the pushback will be.

I notice an article in today's news regarding the four surviving original copies of the Magna Carta which are on display in London as Britain begins 800th anniversary celebrations of the globally significant contract.

Considered the cornerstone of modern democracy, liberty, justice and the rule of law, the 1215 English charter forms the basis for legal systems around the world, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the US Constitution.

i was thinking perhaps we could loan the Junta a copy for some after hours study?

Some excerpts:

"No free man shall be taken or imprisoned or disseized or outlawed or exiled or in any way ruined, nor will we go and send against him except by the lawful judgement of his peers by the law of the land," the document states in Latin.

"To no one will we sell, to no one will we deny or delay right or justice."

Brilliant! and only 800 years ago!

The principles of the Magna Carta extend well beyond the world's common law jurisdictions such as the United States, India and Australia which inherited England's legal system.

Lawyer David Wootton, a former lord mayor of London, said English law was the "common currency" of global business deals precisely due to the protections derived from Magna Carta.

"Investors regard their money as safe here (in London) because of the protections in the legal system," he said.

"There is a close relationship between economic development, societal development and the quality of a country's legal system."

great post, although I suspect that many Thais will think that the Magna Carta is an old rock band, and wouldn't have a clue, just like today, many simply don't have a clue, nor really care about the bigger picture or the power plays that are ongoing between ruling factions.

Too many Farangs get caught up in Thai politics and are more passionate about this, than more than likely the majority of Thais.

It's now almost a year since the coup, and there hasn't really been much in the way of reforms, which made me wonder how on earth the PDRC would have handled everything if they succeeded without the Big Green stepping in ?

The country is full of lies, it's getting harder and harder to know who's credible these days, and that's just coming from the ruling authority, sure they paint a rosy picture, but all one needs to do is scratch the surface a little bit and it's the same rotten wood that's underneath.

I will be honest, I don't like having a military ruling any country, it's a dangerous road to go down, especially the longer they maintain their grip, and impose restrictions construed as "for the benefit of the people" !! That's not quite true, the people are being corralled into thinking certain ways, disagreeing results in "attitude adjustment" to be frank and blunt, there's a lot wearing uniforms that could also do with some of that, but it will never happen.

Already there's talk of long term military rule, the power lust has got a grip, and it's all going to end in tears, as they say "all good things come to an end".

Who will be to blame? The people for waking up and standing up to the Junta, or the Junta for slowly sqeezing the country till a vein pops and the hemorrhaging starts? The Junta need to relax and stop being so paranoid.

• Like 2

Has it occurred to anyone that the reaction from the General and his military entourage was one of genuine surprise and hurt?

This is a man who has met with various American military commanders and believed they were his "friend", or at least shared common views. Why else would he have such a reaction over U.S. remarks that were far less harsh than those that have been made by the EU and continue to be espoused by EU foreign ministers? I believe that the General felt hurt, even betrayed, by people he thought would back him.

He and the U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of staff, General Dempsey, got along quite well during the latter's 2012 meeting. They continued to communicate. And this is where he may have misunderstood the Americans. Perhaps he was unable to differentiate between the U.S. military personnel personal views and their sworn duty to obey their civilian commanders, and that they do not make foreign policy. It is a relationship that most Thais probably are unable to comprehend. General Dempsey did his thesis on the Irish literary revival of the late 18th century, while General Chan-o-cha has made no secret of his belief in fortune tellers, with a major Bangkok newspaper just recently quoting the General as stating that there was no harm in seeking their advice. The General went on to state that when he was suffering from a fever and aches early in his premiership, he blamed his malady on hexes cast by his political enemies and combated the illness with holy water. ( As reported by Cod Satrusayang 15-Jan-2015). The General has not had much experience outside of Thailand and is not a gifted diplomat. While career senior officers in major militaries are usually well educated and seasoned from their postings around the world, that is not the case with Thailand's military leaders. Even, the Russians have some very gifted academic scholars within their senior command and are quite different than the thugs we see in Thailand. Honestly, I believe the issue of nationalism is side issue. The core issue may be that the General has been wounded and I dare say, feels insulted. Whether he puts his emotions in check remains to be seen

The stance from the diplomatic corps is and has been pretty clear.

Best friend often point out inconvenient truths to one another.

• Like 1

Sadly, "Patriotism" is about like being a medieval serf. "I'm Amur-can! We got the best counry ever!" Is what you will inevitably hear from Joe-Redneck in Georgia, who seldom ventures beyond the county line of the county where he was born, that has never had a passport.

Sounds like most Thais doesn't it?

I'm from the USA. I absolutely DETEST my government probably more than anyone in Thailand ever has or ever will.

I still like the people and, for the most part, the culture.

An example of what I love is ZERO tolerance for drunks on the roads, traffic discipline for the most part (people stop at STOP signs & red lights 99% of the time).

Litter is mostly non-existent, roads are pretty decent etc...

What I hate is many things like FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act), which preposterously destructive, causing many overseas banks to refuse American commerce because the IRS says to banks around the world "COMPLY! or we'll freeze 30% of everything you do via a bank in New York!", which is sadly where most global banking has to transit...

But also stuff like this:

"It’s the whole idea of having the freedom to start something from scratch out of your own sweat and labor, to provide a valuable service and to work hard, and stake your reputation on the quality of what you do.

This concept is at the very foundation of the American Dream.

Or at least it used to be.

Case in point, last week, two teenagers in New Jersey were going around their neighborhood advertising their snow-shoveling service right before the big storm hit.

Seems pretty enterprising. But in the New America where security trumps all else, a local resident called the police to report about the teens’ “suspicious activity”.

It’s the starkest example of how “if you see something say something” is one of the most enslaving, destructive mantras in history.

Police actually came out to investigate since, apparently running a snow-shoveling business is something that only criminal terrorists would do.

Even when the police saw that it was just two harmless kids trying to earn some money, they didn’t let them go on about their business.

Instead they forced them to stop. Because in the Land of the Free, it seems you need a permit in order to offer to shovel snow for people.

And so these two entrepreneurial teenagers were sent home by the police for their lack of permitting after being suspected of suspicious activity by a local resident.

Just think about the lesson that’s being reinforced here: if you get off your ass, go out there, and try to take charge of your financial future, you’ll end up with nothing but a bunch of headaches, accusations, and unpleasant encounters with the government.

These kids just learned that in the Land of the Free, they’re better off staying home.

It’s a terrible thing to teach people, especially kids in their formative years, and it happens all the time; we constantly hear these stories now about little girls getting run off from their lemonade stands, etc.

Entrepreneurship and enterprise are good for everyone, creating successful businesses, jobs, wealth, and valuable products and services for an entire society.

You’d think that a government drowning in debt would bend over backwards to encourage people to get out there and hustle.

Instead they’ve done just the opposite.

Whether intentional or not, they’re waging a de-facto war on one of the last remaining cultural values that made America what it once was."

I will come and shovel your driveway; and when I slip on the ice and break a bone I will then sue you for everything you have.

Quite entrepreneurial, don't you think?

Democracy when every election is bought, come on it is going on all the way down the line. Mayor elect. 500 baht or 800 baht what a joke.

Not disagreeing with you.

It takes Khun Wuchit or Somchai or Pongpat a few hundred thousand baht to buy a uniform & badge.

In the USA it takes at least a billion dollars to get elected President.

Same same, but different.

================

The Thais should LEARN ENGLISH a bit & trot out such as this video shows when it comes to "Corruption".

It takes a whopping 2 seconds to find this on Youtube. The presenter does his best to make it humorous, but it's really sick:

EDIT - I just noticed - Just type in civil forfeiture on Youtube & this one shows up as the number one result.

I would LOVE to see Prayut toss this back at the USA in a statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT PART 2 - Just realized that the Thai could never flaunt this at the US.....Pot calling the kettle black...

Edited by jaywalker

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has it occurred to anyone that the reaction from the General and his military entourage was one of genuine surprise and hurt?

This is a man who has met with various American military commanders and believed they were his "friend", or at least shared common views. Why else would he have such a reaction over U.S. remarks that were far less harsh than those that have been made by the EU and continue to be espoused by EU foreign ministers? I believe that the General felt hurt, even betrayed, by people he thought would back him.

He and the U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of staff, General Dempsey, got along quite well during the latter's 2012 meeting. They continued to communicate. And this is where he may have misunderstood the Americans. Perhaps he was unable to differentiate between the U.S. military personnel personal views and their sworn duty to obey their civilian commanders, and that they do not make foreign policy. It is a relationship that most Thais probably are unable to comprehend. General Dempsey did his thesis on the Irish literary revival of the late 18th century, while General Chan-o-cha has made no secret of his belief in fortune tellers, with a major Bangkok newspaper just recently quoting the General as stating that there was no harm in seeking their advice. The General went on to state that when he was suffering from a fever and aches early in his premiership, he blamed his malady on hexes cast by his political enemies and combated the illness with holy water. ( As reported by Cod Satrusayang 15-Jan-2015). The General has not had much experience outside of Thailand and is not a gifted diplomat. While career senior officers in major militaries are usually well educated and seasoned from their postings around the world, that is not the case with Thailand's military leaders. Even, the Russians have some very gifted academic scholars within their senior command and are quite different than the thugs we see in Thailand. Honestly, I believe the issue of nationalism is side issue. The core issue may be that the General has been wounded and I dare say, feels insulted. Whether he puts his emotions in check remains to be seen

" I believe that the General felt hurt, even betrayed, by people he thought would back him."

Was this thought before he lied to the US point blank in January 2014 to say the military will not overthrow the elected Yingluck government? Did he truly believe that the US would be fooled by his unelected neo-military government and his "election" to prime minister? Or that while he is trustworthy and a good man, he had to suspend the rights and liberties of the Thai people for the good of the nation unknowing the US love for freedom of speech and assembly? If General Prayuth was beguiled, it is only by his arrogance and love of power.

"the Kingdom and its people have every right to ignore any comments made by representatives of foreign countries."

But the Thai people have no right to hear any comments by representatives of foreign countries, nor even by its own citizens when such comments do not praise the Junta nor approve of its unconstitutional acts. When the Thai people have the right of civil liberties truly returned to them, there will not be an unanimous condemnation of foreign or domestic unflattering opinions but a concensus for the free and open discussion of ideas and debate.