Lifan Cross and X-Cross

floridaguy

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tires have manufacture codes in the side wall with week and year of manufacture.

For example, 2815 is July 2015.

This can be a clue for age of new old stock.

You could also enter the frame number into a www search.

Maybe get you a mfg date.

Try for a new one.

Ubon, Udon, Koran, Buriram, whatever.

If you like the Lifan 200, the mortard version might be better.

X-plore.

Good aftermarket tire selection on 17" rims.

You would have to add a rack,

but has better muffler; international shift pattern, maybe.

Maybe OHC.

I did ask my missus to make her an offer of 39k, but she said it would likely upset the woman, so I will leave it until the oil runs out, or the snow arrives here.

Is this a self service bike, as if I buy one in Udon, this woman may not want to service the bike, with her crock still unsold?

No, I like the big wheels and the pushrod engine and will get used to the shift pattern, no hurry. The ride height (seat) is perfect for me, (pegs too) if anything the CRF and KLX(250) is a tad too high and I have long legs, god knows how the Thais ride them. Elton John's Tommy shoes, no doubt.

The dealer here(Kanchanaburi) has a nice new Black one and wants 47,000(I thought the list price was 46,000?),it seems to vary!.

It looked clean etc,but I didn't check the date on tyres etcetera. I did think too myself maybe should have just brought a new one?. But I was testing out the waters with the missus with a secondhand bike first [emoji51].

Just looking at the pictures you posted and the silly price...and the former owner (important), you did the right thing. It looks a damn sight newer than the new one here. Buying old stock is never a good thing, things like rubber seals can deteriorate if they are not used for years.

This Lifan would fit in quite well with my old NV400 which is absolutely only an on-road bike, well with me (and her indoors) riding. A mate of mine who has a Shineray 200 and uses it around town all the time. The NV is not that great in the city and being revvy I am tempted to ride it too fast, whereas the little 200 with chug around the side streets all day long. The missus would have the Wave to herself too.

And with a pair of wellies, we can do a bit of dirt roading, nothing too dramatic just a bit of fun, hopefully dodging the snakes and country dogs.

What does she think as a pillion passenger?

Oh and as for the cross dressing, I draw the line at rubber boots.....you guys all live in Pattaya right?....a long way from me phew?

Edited by AllanB

I'm in Kanchanaburi and have a similar plan to you,but she still won't get on the back.

She will use her Yamaha Spark for our little road trips up to the mountains round here and I'll use the Cross dresser.

Fits me well,carries a fat farang around ok and not too tall to get my aching leg over!.

I thought Wellies were used by sheep farmers?

RRP in Isaan for an X Cross is 49k. The main distributor for Northern Isaan is in Mukdahan, i've seen his official price lists.

I've mentioned it before, if you want to pay less, for some reason a shop in Ban Dung ( google it - 80 kms from Udon and Nong Khai), my nearest market town is selling one for 39k. Red/white/black model. Finance available or 39k cash, don't even think about haggling. Well worth a trip to save 10k less your day out expenses. Has 19 kms on the clock, all done by me test riding it.

Servicing -DIY is always best, regardless of brand.

Inlet over exhaust , havent heard that for a while . I dont know of an engine with both valves are in the barrel / block , that you refer to as S V. Single cam lobe on Lifan , interesting. Keeps it simple , cheap and narrow. OHC is more efficient for independent cam timing and gas flow .

Sorry for being pedantic, OHC cannot have ADJUSTABLE independent valve timing for IN or EX. DOHC can, as well as OHV designs with twin cams a la Meriden Triumph twins, unlike single cam designs a la BSA, Norton etc.

OHV pushrod motors like the HD Sportster can have fantastic adjustable individual valve/cam timing as it is a 4 cam motor, one cam per valve. Original design from the SV racers of the early 50's.

Gas flow is another thing entirely. The big advantage ohc or even better dohc has over ohv is much higher rpm limits due to lighter valve train and mass. Pushrods and cam followers can do funny things at 9,500 rpm...

Me being a luddite, i like pushrod motors...

Edited by thaiguzzi

Tires have manufacture codes in the side wall with week and year of manufacture.

Try for a new one.

X-plore.

Maybe OHC.

I did ask my missus to make her an offer of 39k, but she said it would likely upset the woman, so I will leave it until the oil runs out, or the snow arrives here.

Is this a self service bike, as if I buy one in Udon, this woman may not want to service the bike, with her crock still unsold?

No, I like the big wheels and the pushrod engine and will get used to the shift pattern, no hurry. The ride height (seat) is perfect for me, (pegs too) if anything the CRF and KLX(250) is a tad too high and I have long legs, god knows how the Thais ride them. Elton John's Tommy shoes, no doubt.

As I was close,I pooped into the Dealer. Only his wife there,but checked the tyres.

The rear one 1214 and the front 3114,so July/August last year and kept under cover and out of the Sun. post-99099-14444644096588_thumb.jpgpost-99099-14444644371739_thumb.jpgpost-99099-14444644539226_thumb.jpgpost-99099-14444644683543_thumb.jpgpost-99099-14444644881136_thumb.jpgpost-99099-14444644997037_thumb.jpg

Inlet over exhaust , havent heard that for a while . I dont know of an engine with both valves are in the barrel / block , that you refer to as S V. Single cam lobe on Lifan , interesting. Keeps it simple , cheap and narrow. OHC is more efficient for independent cam timing and gas flow .

Sorry for being pedantic, OHC cannot have ADJUSTABLE independent valve timing for IN or EX. DOHC can, as well as OHV designs with twin cams a la Meriden Triumph twins, unlike single cam designs a la BSA, Norton etc.

OHV pushrod motors like the HD Sportster can have fantastic adjustable individual valve/cam timing as it is a 4 cam motor, one cam per valve. Original design from the SV racers of the early 50's.

Gas flow is another thing entirely. The big advantage ohc or even better dohc has over ohv is much higher rpm limits due to lighter valve train and mass. Pushrods and cam followers can do funny things at 9,500 rpm...

Me being a luddite, i like pushrod motors...

thaiguzzi , yes , your correct for "adjustable" independent cam timing needing DOHC . I meant "independent" cam timing , as in the IN and EX valves having independent cam lobes for independent valve duration / lift . I didnt explain clearly , your not being pedantic , just made my brain have a re-think. Never knew of a OHV engine having 2 cams in trumpet , or 4 in the H D , ( all in the cases ) . Bikes before early eighties are not my area , but still interesting , thanks .

• 2 weeks later...

Try for a new one.

X-plore.

Maybe OHC.

The X-cross dresser in Kanchanaburi has been sold to the local Forestry department,picked LINE up yesterday.

Fork Gaiters 300B

Carb strip and clean 150B

Cleaned air filter FOC

Rear brake lever bush/bleed 150

Front brake lever 150B

Exhaust welded/painted 500B

(found the middle bracket was broken off),so had it totally repainted evolves was off. The down pipe was nearly white.

All including any parts and Labour,I could have done myself but he does seem a decent mechanic etc and why bother at that price in this heat.

I test rode it and everything was fine.

Try for a new one.

X-plore.

Maybe OHC.

The dealer here(Kanchanaburi) has a nice new Black one and wants 47,000(I thought the list price was 46,000?),it seems to vary!.

It looked clean etc,but I didn't check the date on tyres etcetera. I did think too myself maybe should have just brought a new one?. But I was testing out the waters with the missus with a secondhand bike first [emoji51].

Just looking at the pictures you posted and the silly price...and the former owner (important), you did the right thing. It looks a damn sight newer than the new one here. Buying old stock is never a good thing, things like rubber seals can deteriorate if they are not used for years.

This Lifan would fit in quite well with my old NV400 which is absolutely only an on-road bike, well with me (and her indoors) riding. A mate of mine who has a Shineray 200 and uses it around town all the time. The NV is not that great in the city and being revvy I am tempted to ride it too fast, whereas the little 200 with chug around the side streets all day long. The missus would have the Wave to herself too.

And with a pair of wellies, we can do a bit of dirt roading, nothing too dramatic just a bit of fun, hopefully dodging the snakes and country dogs.

What does she think as a pillion passenger?

Oh and as for the cross dressing, I draw the line at rubber boots.....you guys all live in Pattaya right?....a long way from me phew?

She finally got on the back last night and found it quite ok,it was only a short test ride. One thing she did say was that she could smell the exhaust,but I was gaoing slowish.

It pulled 160Kgs down the road fine,didn't Labour or struggle.

The Lifan dealer recommended to leave the sprockets as standard for the road,not sure if can get a larger front sprocket anyway.

And the only rubber boots were on the front forks!

papa change color n brakes on Cross-dresser:

Bought new red front fender and tail piece. 700

Spray tank yellow. 500

Apply many small reflective sticker pieces; fingernail paint. 200

Crazy.

New double pot brake calipers front n rear,

new brake fluid res and master cylinder rear. 4000

Red brush guards. 700

Vented mesh seat cover. 250

post-174911-0-06620800-1446005472_thumb.post-174911-0-25482700-1446005500_thumb.

Angry Bird.

Edited by papa al

Spray tank yellow. 500

Crazy.

Red brush guards. 700

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Angry Bird.

I knew you changed the front caliper from a KLX,but you've upgraded the rear and master cylinders,all from a KLX?.

Looking snazzy Papa.

Cheers

When riding to shop for yellow spray job, noticed brake dragging.

Told manager to deal with it (rear).

Not sure what exactly rear caliper n master cylinder are from.

Decent spec units such as K, H, Y, S use prolly.

tg, Cool. That is the look/effect papa was shooting for.

All mods so far <$200...pffft.

;-)

Edited by papa al

When riding to shop for yellow spray job, noticed brake dragging.

Told manager to deal with it (rear).

Not sure what exactly rear caliper n master cylinder are from.

Decent spec units such as K, H, Y, S use prolly.

tg, Cool. That is the look/effect papa was shooting for.

All mods so far <$200...pffft.

;-)

Cheap as chips,did you for a big bore kit or is the power enough for you?.

Spray tank yellow. 500

Crazy.

Red brush guards. 700

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Angry Bird.

Shy and retiring are we Papa?

How about some Bob Marley stickers and dreadlocks on the handlbars...WICKED!!!

I did not.

Turns out '250' big bore kit is really only like 218cc.

Ah,sneakily. Not worth it then,the off Road version that the dealer uses is a standard engine but with a larger bore handmade exhaust pipe and a loud silencer. It's seems to rev easier,he thinks mine may have had something added into my silencer to make it quieter.

No hab drawing.

The Kawasaki brake assembly comes with a bracket which my guys used as a guide to fab one that stands off more to accommodate the smaller diameter of the Lifan rotor.

I think so.

As a lad I wanted a BSA Victor 441, but no money.

Victor was a one-lunger with a yellow tank.

• 2 weeks later...

The original question was what was the difference between the Cross and the XCross, which as far as I an see has not been answered and I may have found an answer, perhaps the owners can check. Got these figures from two different sources, so one could be wrong and everything is in Thai.

The "Cross" appears to be a bigger bike....

Cross 2200 x 860 x 1220

XCross 2110 x 830 x 1170

Could you owners please check this and advise, as a dealer has offered both at the same price, however, when he was asked the difference he said the Xcross has road tyres and a 1 down 4 up g/box, which is the Xplore. So that is not right.

He suggested BigC may be able to order one for me.