NRC calls for authorities to look into Dhammakaya pilgrimage

webfact

NRC calls for authorities to look into Dhammakaya pilgrimage

PNPOL580203001001201_03022015_020136.jpg

BANGKOK, 03 February 2015 (NNT) - A member of the National Reform Council (NRC) has asked the National Office of Buddhism to look into the pilgrimage of Dhammakaya monks in Bangkok, which caused severe traffic jam, saying such an event was done with self-promotional motives.

According to NRC member Wanchai Sonsiri, residents in the pilgrims' path were affected by severe traffic gridlock as their route took up traffic lanes in some of Bangkok’s major roads. He said the move was inappropriate for a religious group as he saw the large-scale pilgrimage as part of its marketing scheme.

Furthermore, NRC First Vice President Bawornsak Uwanno also asked the committee on the reform of social values, culture, ethics and religion to review the matter.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-03 footer_n.gif

Shouldn't they be talking to the head Buddhism office about these things? The gov has no place in religion

The govt was allowed to step in the moment they caused traffic jam and inconvenience to others.

Everybody has right to believe in fairy tales but not to cause trouble to adult people that left Cinderella behind.

Shouldn't they be talking to the head Buddhism office about these things? The gov has no place in religion

So you think that it would be inappropriate for a government to enter into an agreement that forced teachers in government school to attend a 3 day course with a particular religious organisation or lose their jobs. For that organisation to be sanctioned with the role of providing the "authorised" religious texts. Furthermore that the students be forced to learn those beliefs as facts against the beliefs and wishes of the parents.

So you think that it would be inappropriate for a government to enter into an agreement that forced teachers in government school to attend a 3 day course with a particular religious organisation or lose their jobs. For that organisation to be sanctioned with the role of providing the "authorised" religious texts. Furthermore that the students be forced to learn those beliefs as facts against the beliefs and wishes of the parents.

Don't put words in my mouth! I never said any of that.

I was referring to the religious leaders that allowed all of those monks to organise and allow this pilgrimage. The gov should not be investigating it. The leaders of the religious sect should be doing it.

Don't put words in my mouth! I never said any of that.

I was referring to the religious leaders that allowed all of those monks to organise and allow this pilgrimage. The gov should not be investigating it. The leaders of the religious sect should be doing it.

I am not putting words in your mouth - just trying to find out if you are consistent in your view.

BTW - but that is exactly what happened under the Yingluck (mal) administration. While the beliefs of the "sect" is a religious matter the interaction with government or where the practices of the sect impact on outsiders are issues that the present government and agencies should look at - including this fund raising walk.

You didn't read the whole article. " has asked the National Office of Buddhism to look into the pilgrimage of Dhammakaya monks in Bangkok." These pilgrimages go on all over Thailand. But not to this degree. This was more of a , come look at us, than a pilgrimage. This branch of Thai Buddhism has a lot of highly placed members in govt. offices. They might get a slap on the wrist, but that will be about the extent. I can almost guarantee you that all those temporary monks paid to be in that so called pilgrimage. There is nothing free given at this temple. coffee1.gif

Exactly that.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Thailand there is a place in government for Buddhists and other religions - Religious Affairs Department under (I think) the Ministry of Education. Principally Buddhist and Muslims receive State funds, albeit Buddhists get the largest portion.

You are talking about a sect which has milked vast sums of money from its followers.

Is that somehow unique among religions? I thought milking their followers for money is what religions are all about. Why single out this particular sect? I guess it's another attempt to bring happiness.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Thailand there is a place in government for Buddhists and other religions - Religious Affairs Department under (I think) the Ministry of Education. Principally Buddhist and Muslims receive State funds, albeit Buddhists get the largest portion.

I believe, but may be wrong, the Religious Affairs Dept. is for all religions but Buddhism. I believe the National Office of Buddhism handles anything Buddhist. Like I said, I could be wrong. coffee1.gif

In a civilized society, a permit to conduct the march would be required. It has nothing to do with religion, but has A LOT to do with due process to prevent, or at least minimize, disruption of normal life among residents of the area.

I agree with you, but would like to add

...and politicians NEVER cause traffic jams do they?

It's a good thing Thailand doesn't have a Chief Dog Catcher.

Can you imagine the number of Police it would take to protect his convoy block traffic as he made his rounds up and down every soi in the country?

Those creepy looking animated stories all have one message. Give more money to them or you'll go to hell. Buddhist monks do a great job on the while, but wifey told me that this lot are considered a type of cult by many Thais and they only want all your money.