Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

webfact

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everyone? Thais and non Thai alike?

That I could not say. The price was on the wood board like most parks.

Said Adult 200 baht children 100 baht.

I did not see any other prices. Balance of writing was in Thai of course.

The sign was not new tho'

Bargain! I mean what can you buy 'back home' for 200 baht?? It's not even paper money - just small change...

Oh, I don't know. I could visit Greenwich Park, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Regents Park, St. James's Park.

Then in the afternoon I could go to the British Museum, Imperial War Museum, Museum of London, National Gallery, Natural History Museum and Science Museum, Tate Modern and Tate Britain.

The next day I could travel outside London and visit the Peak District, the Lake District, Snowdonia, Dartmoor, Exmoor, the New Forest and the South Downs.

And I'd still have my original 200 Baht left!

And what's more, any Thai person visiting the UK could do exactly the same for the same price.

And any one of these attractions would probably be better value for money, even if they did charge 200 Baht, than a Thai national park charging the same amount.

So what?? You only listed a few things to do for free in the UK. I said what can you buy for 200 baht? So your reply is a bit disingenious - anyway its still going to work out way more expensive in UK than Thailand to do 'free' things, because you conveniently forgot to mention cost of transport or fuel, congestion charges, rip off parking, and rip off prices for any souvenirs or food bought at those locations.. Also the case that UK NP's are already very well funded by the National Trust, Charity donations, Lottery funding, Government subsidies etc etc.

Now how about you list some of the non free attractions? Let me do it for you...

How about the London Eye - around 1,250 baht for a 30 minute ride in a posh big wheel - no discount for children! Madame Tusssauds (vastly overated) again anywhere from 1,250 to 1,500 baht - only 10 % off for children and hugely rip off prices for souvenirs. Stonehenge? 750 baht adult 450 baht child - just to be able to stand 50 meters closer to some rocks that you can see just as well at the roadside - oh of course that does also give you access to a verrry expensive cafe and the usual rip off price souvenir shop. Maybe Longleat - 1750baht or 1400baht child - not forgetting again the usual rip off prices for food etc once they have you inside. Your 200 baht isn't even going to buy you a guide book for any of those places...

You seem to also forget that Thailand does also have many natural sites of interest and beauty that you can visit for free too, and however you spin it, doing pretty much anything in Thailand is much much cheaper than in the West.

Edited by Shadychris

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday.. should read as.. admission fees for people should be made consistent throughout the country. Seriously is there any other country in the world where foreigners are required to pay more to visit an attraction than residents ??

Yes, Burma.

You are expected to pay much more for EVERYTHING even if your husband is Burmese and you are his dependent.

So what?? You only listed a few things to do for free in the UK. I said what can you buy for 200 baht? So your reply is a bit disingenious - anyway its still going to work out way more expensive in UK than Thailand to do 'free' things, because you conveniently forgot to mention cost of transport or fuel, congestion charges, rip off parking, and rip off prices for any souvenirs or food bought at those locations.. Also the case that UK NP's are already very well funded by the National Trust, Charity donations, Lottery funding, Government subsidies etc etc.

Now how about you list some of the non free attractions? Let me do it for you...

How about the London Eye - around 1,250 baht for a 30 minute ride in a posh big wheel - no discount for children! Madame Tusssauds (vastly overated) again anywhere from 1,250 to 1,500 baht - only 10 % off for children and hugely rip off prices for souvenirs. Stonehenge? 750 baht adult 450 baht child - just to be able to stand 50 meters closer to some rocks that you can see just as well at the roadside - oh of course that does also give you access to a verrry expensive cafe and the usual rip off price souvenir shop. Maybe Longleat - 1750baht or 1400baht child - not forgetting again the usual rip off prices for food etc once they have you inside. Your 200 baht isn't even going to buy you a guide book for any of those places...

The topic of discussion is the discriminatory pricing visiting national parks, not whether the UK is cheaper than Thailand.

All the examples I gave are nationally owned or are crown properties and all are free to visit.

All the examples I gave charge the same price for British nationals and foreign visitors, i.e. zilch.

You, however mention private attractions, a very different proposition. And yet, even all those private attractions charge the same price for British nationals and foreign visitors.

It matters not one hoot whether or not 200 Baht is a fair, cheap or expensive price to visit a Thai national park. What does matter is the blatant discrimination.

I'm still thinking of going on a holiday one day to Thailand and was wondering what else foreigners need to pay much more for than a local?

Might as well know a little more before I go I guess although paying 1,000% more just seems a little odd, but it is their country. Maybe Thailand really does not want tourists and has another agenda, who knows.

You will pay non-resident rates at temples and museums, fishing resorts, etc etc. Pretty much all the things that are going to be popular with tourists. Thai people also seem to get slightly lower rates for hotel accommodation - pretty much everything that can be booked in advance I get my Thai partner to do on the phone as she always gets better rates than me ;-)

If you go to markets or local shops there is also a good chance that you will be asked to pay more - learn to count in Thai and a few basic words so you can haggle the price down - it's not that hard. You will find that in markets or local shops where the Thais don't speak English well they will show you the price on a calculator. If you can't make yourself understood in Thai - take it and tap in half the amount and give it back with a big smile. If you don't end up with a price you are comfortable with go somewhere else and try again. Big chain stores such as Tesco Lotus, Big C and in shopping Malls the pricing is consistent. Don't let yourself get fixated on the 1000% figure - NP's are the only places that I can think of where the non-resident price is 10x resident - most times you will find it is double. However in general even the top level prices are still considerably cheaper than what you would pay in your Western home country. The only caveat is things that might be regarded as 'luxury' items - big screen TV's, high end cameras, perfumery etc which are all very similar prices that you would pay in the West. If you find a luxury item that seems to be a very good price, chances are its a fake ;-)

Thanks for those very helpful tips :) Was hoping the 10x rule did not apply to many other things.

Bargain! I mean what can you buy 'back home' for 200 baht?? It's not even paper money - just small change...

Oh, I don't know. I could visit Greenwich Park, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Regents Park, St. James's Park.

Then in the afternoon I could go to the British Museum, Imperial War Museum, Museum of London, National Gallery, Natural History Museum and Science Museum, Tate Modern and Tate Britain.

The next day I could travel outside London and visit the Peak District, the Lake District, Snowdonia, Dartmoor, Exmoor, the New Forest and the South Downs.

And I'd still have my original 200 Baht left!

And what's more, any Thai person visiting the UK could do exactly the same for the same price.

And any one of these attractions would probably be better value for money, even if they did charge 200 Baht, than a Thai national park charging the same amount.

I can think of hundreds of places I can go in the US for free that are one hell of a lot more interesting that much of anything I've seen here in the Land Of Scams Smiles. And for those park services that do charge a fee, it's the same whether you're a citizen, visitor, or illegal immigrant.

I'm actually starting to give consideration to the phrase that many TV simpltons love to use, "If you don't like it here, go back home." That's actually starting to form up as a possible long term option within the next 3 to 5 years. But it's the first time that I've started looking into immigration forms for the wife and what the process will be to have her immigrate.

One flame post has been removed from this thread.

Members are reminded of the following from the Forum Rules:

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Just an idea: But for those of us with the willingness to attempt to bring this discriminatory price gouging into the international light-of-day, how about printing this article and then forwarding it to your own country's ambassador along with copies to to your Congressional representatives or Ministers of Parliament, and ask that your country puts pressure on the Thai government to either; 1) stand down on the discrimination, or 2) implement the same policies at your country's national parks and tourist attractions and directly aim reciprocal price gouging at Thai Nationals visiting your country.

This is what I'm going to do, and trust me: I'm not the most optimistic person in the world, but it's better than sitting on our collective asses and doing nothing.

For number 2) I don't see any impediments to it. I think it was in Italy that some years ago (not sure about now) which had some kind of pricing policy based on your nationality. Whatever Italians were charged to visit a similar tourist attraction in your country, you would have to pay to visit said attraction in Italy.

Just an idea: But for those of us with the willingness to attempt to bring this discriminatory price gouging into the international light-of-day, how about printing this article and then forwarding it to your own country's ambassador along with copies to to your Congressional representatives or Ministers of Parliament, and ask that your country puts pressure on the Thai government to either; 1) stand down on the discrimination, or 2) implement the same policies at your country's national parks and tourist attractions and directly aim reciprocal price gouging at Thai Nationals visiting your country.

This is what I'm going to do, and trust me: I'm not the most optimistic person in the world, but it's better than sitting on our collective asses and doing nothing.

For number 2) I don't see any impediments to it. I think it was in Italy that some years ago (not sure about now) which had some kind of pricing policy based on your nationality. Whatever Italians were charged to visit a similar tourist attraction in your country, you would have to pay to visit said attraction in Italy.

'Sounds almost absurdly complex...

Complex, if not impossible - and also rather odd that someone who is claiming 'discrimination' at the top of his voice should now be advocating the same principle in other countries.... Or does he believe we have now arrived at the situation where 2 'wrongs' finally do equal a 'right'?

When many Thais are paid very low salaries and hence pay little if any tax there is no other realistic way of maintaining these places without making up the short fall from foreign visitors.

If you dont want to pay, and I can understand why you wouldnt want to, dont go.

One big thing that gets me, and you cant blame Thailand for, is that Thailand now owns a few football clubs in the UK and I would guess elsewhere. We couldnt do that and they shouldnt be able to. But dont blame Thailand blame the governments of the countries that allow it to happen

Nah, that's not a logical argument. No Thai national park should expect visitors to come from overseas. Overseas visitors should not and can not be taken for granted. Not only that, but Thailand is not a multicultural country and in fact does not have a particularly large expat community, at least not when compared with any given western country, hence it should rely entirely on local visitors as most countries do.

Many national parks have very few foreign visitors. Look at say China, which doesn't have dual pricing anymore. Very few attractions there receive even a single foreign visitor on a daily basis. As I can imagine quite a few national parks in Thailand are like that too and that extracting extra income from the few foreign visitors that come is hardly going to add any extra income to their coffers, Thai national parks would be better off receiving more money from the state via taxes (income taxes, VAT etc.) and whatever shortfall there is, they could charge entry fees as they do now, but charging everyone the same, slightly higher than Thai rate, but much lower than foreign rate, would make more sense or just charge everyone the same current Thai rate. However, national parks should not be a business and should instead be free, like they are in many other countries.

What's so complex about showing your ID card or better yet, passport when you enter an attraction? Passports are required by everyone when you enter a country and are required to be shown in many countries including for example, neighboring Myanmar to pass through some border areas once you're already inside the country so what's so complicated about requiring a passport to be shown to gain entry to an attraction?

Italy did it in the past (does anyone know if they still do it?) and they will already have a list of prices based on nationality so if you say you're Swiss, you pay the Swiss price. If you're Russian, you pay the Russian price.

In fact, Laos has a similar pricing system for VOA depending on your nationality (Canadians pay the most, while Chinese pay the least, some others like Swiss, Russians, Sth Koreans, Japanese and ASEAN nationals are free) and it works quite well.

Personally, I'd still prefer the "everyone pays the same price" policy, but as connda suggested, I don't see why a nationality based approach couldn't work seeing that some other countries have already adapted it in the past.

When many Thais are paid very low salaries and hence pay little if any tax there is no other realistic way of maintaining these places without making up the short fall from foreign visitors.

One big thing that gets me, and you cant blame Thailand for, is that Thailand now owns a few football clubs in the UK and I would guess elsewhere. We couldnt do that and they shouldnt be able to. But dont blame Thailand blame the governments of the countries that allow it to happen

Nah, that's not a logical argument. No Thai national park should expect visitors to come from overseas. Overseas visitors should not and can not be taken for granted. Not only that, but Thailand is not a multicultural country and in fact does not have a particularly large expat community, at least not when compared with any given western country, hence it should rely entirely on local visitors as most countries do.

Many national parks have very few foreign visitors. Look at say China, which doesn't have dual pricing anymore. Very few attractions there receive even a single foreign visitor on a daily basis. As I can imagine quite a few national parks in Thailand are like that too and that extracting extra income from the few foreign visitors that come is hardly going to add any extra income to their coffers, Thai national parks would be better off receiving more money from the state via taxes (income taxes, VAT etc.) and whatever shortfall there is, they could charge entry fees as they do now, but charging everyone the same, slightly higher than Thai rate, but much lower than foreign rate, would make more sense or just charge everyone the same current Thai rate. However, national parks should not be a business and should instead be free, like they are in many other countries.

Thailand relies on tourism - tourism is not just beaches - and in fact they are running out - tourism in Thailand involves all aspects of the country's natural beauty. in the long run this cynical, discriminatory overcharging can do nothing but tarnish Thailand's reputation as a holiday destination.

so they have a choice go with the old-school right-wing Xenophobic approach or embrace the modern world and genuinely welcome foreigners.

Thailand relies on tourism - tourism is not just beaches - and in fact they are running out - tourism in Thailand involves all aspects of the country's natural beauty. in the long run this cynical, discriminatory overcharging can do nothing but tarnish Thailand's reputation as a holiday destination.

so they have a choice go with the old-school right-wing Xenophobic approach or embrace the modern world and genuinely welcome foreigners.

Absolutely. I think that's what we would all like to see happen.

What's so complex about showing your ID card or better yet, passport when you enter an attraction? Passports are required by everyone when you enter a country and are required to be shown in many countries including for example, neighboring Myanmar to pass through some border areas once you're already inside the country so what's so complicated about requiring a passport to be shown to gain entry to an attraction?

Italy did it in the past (does anyone know if they still do it?) and they will already have a list of prices based on nationality so if you say you're Swiss, you pay the Swiss price. If you're Russian, you pay the Russian price.

In fact, Laos has a similar pricing system for VOA depending on your nationality (Canadians pay the most, while Chinese pay the least, some others like Swiss, Russians, Sth Koreans, Japanese and ASEAN nationals are free) and it works quite well.

Personally, I'd still prefer the "everyone pays the same price" policy, but as connda suggested, I don't see why a nationality based approach couldn't work seeing that some other countries have already adapted it in the past.

"What's so complex about showing your ID card or better yet, passport when you enter an attraction?"

Lol. You're kidding right? There are 196 countries in the world today. You're suggesting that whoever's standing at the entrance admitting visitors is going to start checking passports (which many don't carry on their person in the first place - no, don't start that debate, they just don't) and then, for every one, check this nearly 200-long list for the particular fee that person is going to have to pay based on his nationality? And someone somewhere is going to make up these lists, for every type of "attraction", AND keep them updated? In THAILAND this is going to happen?? You're not serious. Absurd.

"What's so complex about showing your ID card or better yet, passport when you enter an attraction?"

Lol. You're kidding right? There are 196 countries in the world today. You're suggesting that whoever's standing at the entrance admitting visitors is going to start checking passports (which many don't carry on their person in the first place - no, don't start that debate, they just don't) and then, for every one, check this nearly 200-long list for the particular fee that person is going to have to pay based on his nationality? And someone somewhere is going to make up these lists, for every type of "attraction", AND keep them updated? In THAILAND this is going to happen?? You're not serious. Absurd.

Simple solution really, charge everyone the same price.

Simple solution really, charge everyone the same price.

Pardon me, but your common sense is showing... (Not really a key element in thainess I'm afraid.)

All the personal issues aside, I really don't think it is a good idea to be raising prices during a period of negative inflation.

please explain.......

Last month, consumer prices recorded their largest drop in the last 5 years primarily from lower food and transportation costs (core inflation, which the BOT tracks, rose slightly).

While lower prices seems good, you want it to lead to people increasing their spending. Otherwise, not so good. The pending infrastructural spending should help the situation, but in the meantime perhaps not a good time to start raising prices, especially in an industry your trying to attract.

Btw, new car prices are down.

You're absurd. All foreigners are supposed to carry their passports with them at all times, and all Thais are supposed to carry their ID cards or another acceptable form of identification at all times. So there's nothing absurd about requiring them to be shown, since everyone is already supposed to be carrying an appropriate ID. Also, not every nationality would have a different fee imposed. Perhaps only 20 out of the total number of possible nationalities would have a different fee imposed, many others would just be levied the same fee i.e. Samoa, French Polynesia, Vanuatu, etc. basically only the bigger nationalities would likely have a different fee imposed, besides, what are the chances of someone from say Papua New Guinea ever visiting a national park in Thailand anyway? And why should the fees need to be "updated"? They could just be kept static until an order declares they should be changed once a year or perhaps only once every 5 years.

Hey as I already said, Italy DID this. I didn't make it up, they DID this. So if they were able to do it, it doesn't mean Thailand or other countries couldn't. It's not rocket science either.

At border checkpoints the officers also have a manual printed list of nationalities detailing their visa, visa-free, VOA entitlements etc. so I don't see any reason why park officials couldn't implement a similar system. And oh, in case you forgot, there are these things called computers now where at the click of a mouse you could see what someone's entitlements are, rather than having to look through a printed list, like as if we were still living in 1965 as you might still be. What did you use to write your message then, huh?

As I've maintained before and most other people have stated, being fair and not discriminating against anyone, entitling everyone to pay the same price would be best. BUT, a system where different people are charged different amounts depending on their nationalities, while still in a way a form of discrimination would be more reasonable than the current system and as I've stated before it has precedence. It's been done before, it's nothing radical. So stop blasting this relatively simple to implement idea and learn how to use Google.

You're absurd. All foreigners are supposed to carry their passports with them at all times, and all Thais are supposed to carry their ID cards or another acceptable form of identification at all times. So there's nothing absurd about requiring them to be shown, since everyone is already supposed to be carrying an appropriate ID. Also, not every nationality would have a different fee imposed. Perhaps only 20 out of the total number of possible nationalities would have a different fee imposed, many others would just be levied the same fee i.e. Samoa, French Polynesia, Vanuatu, etc. basically only the bigger nationalities would likely have a different fee imposed, besides, what are the chances of someone from say Papua New Guinea ever visiting a national park in Thailand anyway? And why should the fees need to be "updated"? They could just be kept static until an order declares they should be changed once a year or perhaps only once every 5 years.

Hey as I already said, Italy DID this. I didn't make it up, they DID this. So if they were able to do it, it doesn't mean Thailand or other countries couldn't. It's not rocket science either.

At border checkpoints the officers also have a manual printed list of nationalities detailing their visa, visa-free, VOA entitlements etc. so I don't see any reason why park officials couldn't implement a similar system. And oh, in case you forgot, there are these things called computers now where at the click of a mouse you could see what someone's entitlements are, rather than having to look through a printed list, like as if we were still living in 1965 as you might still be. What did you use to write your message then, huh?

As I've maintained before and most other people have stated, being fair and not discriminating against anyone, entitling everyone to pay the same price would be best. BUT, a system where different people are charged different amounts depending on their nationalities, while still in a way a form of discrimination would be more reasonable than the current system and as I've stated before it has precedence. It's been done before, it's nothing radical. So stop blasting this relatively simple to implement idea and learn how to use Google.

Wrong from the very first... But the passport thing has already been argued elsewhere, complete with a statement from a police superintendent, or deputy, or somesuch. This isn't the place to argue it again.

Whilst trying to find evidence that Italy used to practise discriminatory pricing I came across this from a European Union official website:

Equal prices for foreigners
As an EU national, you cannot be charged a higher price than local residents when buying products or services anywhere else in the EU, unless the price difference is justified (see below).

Tourist attractions sometimes charge visitors a higher price than local residents. This is unlawful discrimination and you should not accept it.

Source: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/price-discrimination/index_en.htm

I think the fundamental problem with Thailand is that the country never benefited from the civilising influence of being colonised by England. Had it done so such discriminatory pricing would be seen as simply not cricket, as it is in the likes of Malaysia and Hong Kong.

What Italy did in the past from what i can see is no longer true. One price fits all these days.

Your thai dl does not have visa status on it...

Never been asked for my passport. Do not know anyone who has.

Year 12 and still waiting.

You need to show proper ID, and a Thai DL, with your passport number as checked by DLT when issued, is sufficient for all but immigration.

Who do not do roadside checks - last I heard.