Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

webfact

I voted with my feet years ago after living in Thailand and getting increasingly fed up with their attitude to europeans. So I returned to UK.

At the risk of sounding smug. I took my wife to the Thai embassy recently to renew her passport, and spent a lovely day visiting the convieniently located top class musems. All filled with multi national people enjoying their visit. For free of course.

but did you buy a post card ?

It's 2015, do you still sed postcards? Can you even buy them at a Thai national park?

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted with my feet years ago after living in Thailand and getting increasingly fed up with their attitude to europeans. So I returned to UK.

At the risk of sounding smug. I took my wife to the Thai embassy recently to renew her passport, and spent a lovely day visiting the convieniently located top class musems. All filled with multi national people enjoying their visit. For free of course.

It's 2015, do you still sed postcards? Can you even buy them at a Thai national park?

I am sorry it was so confusing for you, he was bragging about how UK museums were free, despite the public transport to get there, any food he bought, and well generally his day out cost him enough for a 2 week holiday in Thailand. however 2 postcards from one of those UK museums does cost you about the same as entry to a Thai national park

at least they did last time I checked

2 weeks and some clowns are still ranting on indignantly about this misleading headline, yes misleading for it is something that has always been the same.

Tell you what there is one great freedom that the National Parks give to people like yourselves and that is the freedom not to go, I am sure you wouldn't even know what you saw let alone appreciate it if you did go.

Please leave them to people like me who do know what we see and appreciate it.

Come to think of it Thailand affords you another great freedom which you should seriously consider taking advantage of if you are so disgruntled and dissatisfied with the place. That is the freedom to leave.

I am sorry it was so confusing for you, he was bragging about how UK museums were free, despite the public transport to get there, any food he bought, and well generally his day out cost him enough for a 2 week holiday in Thailand. however 2 postcards from one of those UK museums does cost you about the same as entry to a Thai national park

at least they did last time I checked

...and I bet they are the same price regardless of your nationality?

2 weeks and some clowns are still ranting on indignantly about this misleading headline, yes misleading for it is something that has always been the same.

Tell you what there is one great freedom that the National Parks give to people like yourselves and that is the freedom not to go, I am sure you wouldn't even know what you saw let alone appreciate it if you did go.

Come to think of it Thailand affords you another great freedom which you should seriously consider taking advantage of if you are so disgruntled and dissatisfied with the place. That is the freedom to leave.

There's always one....or this time 2 even, who somehow still think the "if-you-don't-like-it-go-home" gambit is an argument, when in fact it's a jaded old cliche....when will these people realise how to make a proper argument?

Can't possibly be true they are not that stupid here are they!

"Additionally, Suwan predicted the increase would not affect the number of tourists who visit the park as fewer than 100 foreigners visited the park last year."

Agree! If fewer than 100 foreigners will be affected, then the increase in revenue from the price hike will be less than Bt. 20,000 per year. That is if the price hike doesn't cause any foreigners to cancel out of protest. Is that Bt. 20,000 per year worth all the negative publicity? NO, they truly are stupid! "Amazing Thailand", indeed.

Where does this fewer than 100 foreigners be affected come from.....I was in Kanchanaburi there are plenty of tours to the bridge etc taking in the national park with a sticker over the the price suggesting an increase...would think it's only a100 who know there etting scammed...

+1

I bet most have never even been to a National Park in Thailand.

I will happily pay 400 baht if it goes back into the park. The Junta stated they will be preserving and expanding the national parks this is one way to fund it. If the Junta did not preserve the national parks we would have 32 pages of complaints about the Junta not following through on their promises...

Can't win. They complain for the sake of complaining...

I've been to numerous National Parks in Thailand and I would not pay 10 fold to see any of them again. I don't know that I want to sit at the entrance though and wait for everyone else to return from visiting the park either.

There's always one....or this time 2 even, who somehow still think the "if-you-don't-like-it-go-home" gambit is an argument, when in fact it's a jaded old cliche....when will these people realise how to make a proper argument?

What do you mean a proper argument ? If you mean the stupidity of carrying on about something that does not affect you in the least, something that has always been the same then you will have to forgive me for my tolerance of idiots needs a little working on.

As a regular visitor to national parks I have said my piece more than once on this subject, see post 740. I will be going back as offen as possible for it is a real pleasure to be able to get into the forests away from crowds of people.

You will notice its the same people who are comfortable with a lot of double standards here as well as this stupid level pricing hike.

Maybe they like being charged more as it gives them a feeling of being special.... maybe they have no sense of equality or morality who knows.

Dont of course mention in their own countries they dont rip off the visitors but are quite apologetic about it here.... double standards seems to suit these types as long as its not their country doing it thats fine.

If the Junta cared about the upkeep and its that expensive then they should be ramping up the entrance fees for the Thais, as thats the main revenue... so either its the junta dosnt need the money from farangs as the visitors are small in number to make little difference to takings or they are not charging the locals enough in the first place.

When some public bill needs paying for you dont make the visitor foot the cost you make the people who use it pay the bill.......... NP are 90% used by Thais so who exactly should be obliged to pay the cost of upkeep, those who use them all the time and add to the cost or the one off visitor ?

Makes no sense in the slightest but thats nothing new.

Is this thread still going?

Look, price discrimination is an established and legitimate economic principle - it happens everywhere all the time. In the UK, if you take a commuter train during rush hour you will pay more. That discriminates against those who can afford to take those particular trains, precisely because the train operator knows they can afford it.

National Park pricing in Thailand doesn't intend to discriminate by nationality, only by economic status. The fact you are a foreigner in Thailand is a fair indicator you have a higher disposable income than the average Thai. It is perfectly reasonable that foreigners should pay more.

Having said that, 10x is too much. 2x would be fair.

What do you mean a proper argument ? If you mean the stupidity of carrying on about something that does not affect you in the least, something that has always been the same then you will have to forgive me for my tolerance of idiots needs a little working on.

As a regular visitor to national parks I have said my piece more than once on this subject, see post 740. I will be going back as offen as possible for it is a real pleasure to be able to get into the forests away from crowds of people.

QED

I've been to numerous National Parks in Thailand and I would not pay 10 fold to see any of them again. I don't know that I want to sit at the entrance though and wait for everyone else to return from visiting the park either.

Ten times what Scott ? Tell us what you paid before.

The pricing has always been the same, it is just a misleading headline that has got the anti everything's knickers in a knot

However I don't have a problem I show them a copy of my letter of residence I got from immigration to get a Thai driving license and as a resident in Thailand I pay the Thai price.

Thats great Scott. I respect your decision.

I assume then I won't see you there when I do visit them.

I have friends that won't pay $60 to go to DreamWorld in Australia because they think it is too expensive as well.

Respect mate...

Just making sure that the few(er) Falang who stay and in Thailand pay 10 times the price for the one's leaving the country aka the ones that won't come due to defamation via social media.... aka paying 10 times the price for the new tourist breed from China...

You will notice its the same people who are comfortable with a lot of double standards here as well as this stupid level pricing hike.

Maybe they like being charged more as it gives them a feeling of being special.... maybe they have no sense of equality or morality who knows.

Dont of course mention in their own countries they dont rip off the visitors but are quite apologetic about it here.... double standards seems to suit these types as long as its not their country doing it thats fine.

If the Junta cared about the upkeep and its that expensive then they should be ramping up the entrance fees for the Thais, as thats the main revenue... so either its the junta dosnt need the money from farangs as the visitors are small in number to make little difference to takings or they are not charging the locals enough in the first place.

When some public bill needs paying for you dont make the visitor foot the cost you make the people who use it pay the bill.......... NP are 90% used by Thais so who exactly should be obliged to pay the cost of upkeep, those who use them all the time and add to the cost or the one off visitor ?

The great problem with your post and most of the others is in the understanding.

It is not a price hike and as far as discrimination is concerned it has always been this way.

Prices have always been 30b for Thai and either 100, 200, 400b for farang depending on the national park with the bigger more popular parks charging 400b.

So if the headline were true and using those traditional numbers the price for one of the big parks should in fact drop to 300b, although I cant see that happening and the prices will stay the same as they have always been.

The great problem with your post and most of the others is in the understanding.

It is not a price hike and as far as discrimination is concerned it has always been this way.

Prices have always been 30b for Thai and either 100, 200, 400b for farang depending on the national park with the bigger more popular parks charging 400b.

So if the headline were true and using those traditional numbers the price for one of the big parks should in fact drop to 300b, although I cant see that happening and the prices will stay the same as they have always been.

I think you need to read up on this.

I don't need to read up on anything I actually go there and see for myself, you know personal experience, seeing is believing and all that.

Something that is sadly lacking in the posts on here.

You see I have actually been to these places and seen the large boards they have displayed at the entrance of the parks with the entrance fees written on them, I don't have to rely on one sensationalist article for my information.

And I have been to 2 different national parks since this article appeared and the prices had not changed.

Thailand, <deleted> yeah!

If you don't like rampant human trafficking, go home!

Don't like abject poverty on your doorstep, go home!

Hate corruption at every level of business and government, go home!

Don't like being sneered at because your a farang by uneducated blokes who can't read and ignorant dicks who haven't left their village, go home!

Don't like being charged extra because of your nationality or skin color, you guessed it just go home!

Honestly though if I get the opportunity to visit one of those parks I will happily pay the price if it is worth it and I will also allow people to voice their disagreement on the issue as well. Really though they should up the price for everyone including Thais to start restricting the opportunity for idiots to destroy them.So robbynz what's the best park to go visit?

Excellent and good for you!

Emmigrating to another country is not such a simple thing to achieve as many like to think. I saw a documentary once on Brits emmigrating to Australia - I recall that it was estimated 4 out of 10 would return to the UK within 5 years. One of the main reasons given was being unable to integrate into the culture. To integrate into an Asian culture with a different language is even harder and a lot of people are just unable to put what they know from their pasts behind them. As long as you still consider yourself as 'European, have a mindset where you constantly compare life and culture in Thailand with your home country and make no effort to learn the language, then you will never be accepted and always feel like an outsider.

Hard to admit failure, so kudos to you for actually taking some action to make your life happier. You have found a win win solution - you are happy now back in England and Thailand does not miss you.

It's a shame others on this forum who seem to do nothing more than post their displeasure and unhappiness here on a daily basis don't take similar action, but it seems they prefer to remain forever part of the problem instead of the solution.

In the same way that if you married a girl and she turned out not to be the person you thought she was, you would leave her because there is no way that you will change her, you will not change Thailand either no matter how much you moan and bitch about it.

the only issue here is that white people want to cry hard done by and discriminated against, in actual fact it is disgusting that anyone from a first world country suggests they are in any way disadvantage paying more then residents of a third world country

do Thais pay more in your home country ? well of course they do they pay more for a visa to start with

get off your high horses and either pay the fee or don't but don't go insulting the intelligence of readers by suggesting you are in some way going to be hard done by paying it .

I don't need to read up on anything I actually go there and see for myself, you know personal experience, seeing is believing and all that.

Something that is sadly lacking in the posts on here.

You see I have actually been to these places and seen the large boards they have displayed at the entrance of the parks with the entrance fees written on them, I don't have to rely on one sensationalist article for my information.

And I have been to 2 different national parks since this article appeared and the prices had not changed.

unfortunately you do - this thread has been started because the NP Director has said they are going to change the situation that arose out of the last dictum in 2006. It may take time and judging by the international criticism it may be modified yet again as it was last time.

In the mean time PLEASE get up to speed o=n this......and if you read my posts you'll know that I visit a lot more NPs akll over the country than most - including yourself, judging by your comments.

the only issue here is that white people want to cry hard done by and discriminated against, in actual fact it is disgusting that anyone from a first world country suggests they are in any way disadvantage paying more then residents of a third world country

do Thais pay more in your home country ? well of course they do they pay more for a visa to start with

get off your high horses and either pay the fee or don't but don't go insulting the intelligence of readers by suggesting you are in some way going to be hard done by paying it .

Apart from the fact that it is racialist and therefore directed mostly at farangs,

You may like to consider that Some Thais are very,very wealthy, and I'm not talking about being wealthy in comparison with the majority of their countryfolk, I'm talking about their wealth in comparison with the vast majority of of the citizens living in the USA and Western Europe.

The main reason that it cost Thais so much for a visa to western countries, is the expense of sifting out undesirable applicants,who given the chance would not hesitate to use the system to gain permanent access to other countries.

As for paying more when visiting our own country, I can only tell you that my wife was never discriminated when she has visited my home country, and as far as I am aware the same applied to my friends wives when visiting a western country.

Ahh yes, that would be the same freedom forum members have wouldn't it?

Apart from the fact that it is racialist and therefore directed mostly at farangs,

You may like to consider that Some Thais are very,very wealthy, and I'm not talking about being wealthy in comparison with the majority of their countryfolk, I'm talking about their wealth in comparison with the vast majority of of the citizens living in the USA and Western Europe.

The main reason that it cost Thais so much for a visa to western countries, is the expense of sifting out undesirable applicants,who given the chance would not hesitate to use the system to gain permanent access to other countries.

As for paying more when visiting our own country, I can only tell you that my wife was never discriminated when she has visited my home country, and as far as I am aware the same applied to my friends wives when visiting a western country.

THIS POLICY IS NOT RACIST !

SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO CLAIM IT IS AND YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG TO CLAIM IT AS RACIST YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW AND FORUM RULES CALLING IT RACIST

To understand why it is not refer to my earlier posts in this topic in particular -: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797324-thai-national-parks-ordered-to-charge-foreigners-tenfold/page-30#entry9073245

Some Thais, no matter which "some Thais" you pick are not richer then Bill Gates. but we are not talking about individuals with this policy we are talking about groups, specifically "Thais" and "Legal visitors to Thailand" the majority of Thais have significantly less disposable income then Legal visitors to Thailand (who under terms of their visa are required to have certain levels of funds). Charging Thais full price would exclude the majority of them from visiting the parks and so would be discrimination.

your claims of "Sifting out undesirable applicants" assumes guilt of future crimes that may be committed and, as no reliable way of foretelling the future has yet been devised, is unrealistic.

What would probably be a more accurate, or maybe just more politically correct, description would be -: due to the significantly higher cost of living and greater need for funds to survive in western countries, immigration departments seek to ensure that visas are only issued to those that will have sufficient funds available and genuine reasons for returning to their home countries. (btw if you are trying to get your Thai girlfriend an Australian visa this is exactly what you will need to prove)

Visa costs are a reflection of the cost of investigating

Has your wife ever visited Disney World in Florida?

she will find as a non-resident she will pay more then a resident.

OK,

33 pages of righteous anger about dual pricing but has anyone here had to pay the "ordered" ten fold price at any Thai National Park ?

I live and work here and the response has been different all over. However I've not been in a park since the new dictum - which came after the new year holiday. I will visit about 3 or 4 parks (or more) over Song Khran and then will be able to form some kind of opinion on this.

I very much doubt if anyone has yet visited enough NPs to get a realistic impression so far.

If it is enforced it shows a lack of respect for visitors to the country

If it isn't enforced it shows how ridiculous the whole system of government is that allows some jumped up nabob to make these dictums with no ability to follow them up - again it displays a very high-handed attitude to visitors.

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday.. should read as.. admission fees for people should be made consistent throughout the country. Seriously is there any other country in the world where foreigners are required to pay more to visit an attraction than residents ??

I don't think this would EVER fly in The US. It seems like blatant discrimination, and perhaps bigotry.

Most racists like to cry "racist" at the drop of a hat. No this measure is not racist, it IS discriminatory, it IS xenophobic even (at least in motivation) and it is possibly the most public example on view of Thai bigotry and poor international relations......but I wouldn't say it's racist.

It is a common feature of racists to claim racism against themselves in a feeble effort to justify their own ignorance and bigotry.

Archived