rats in car .

we have a rats nest in the car , and cant find it anywhere , only findinding rat sh1t and a few chewed wires under the bonnet , upto now have tried , live traps , the flick over kill traps and the poison that looks like red childrens sweets , having no luck with any of them , and fresh sh1t every day , i,m worried that if they bite the wrong wire the whole car can go up in flames , at this moment in have 2 of the " moskito " ( sorry for spelling ) coils burning in there to try and smoke them out , ideas any body ?????

Try camphor balls around the fresh air intake where the A/C vents are. Short of that the glue traps is the next best answer though it may end up badly if the rat is able to carry it anywhere while being stuck as some I've caught before have done. Be sure to bait them and not just place them empty, peanut butter is a good bait, a dab in the center.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have been through this.

For some reason the rats ignored the Vigos and went for the expensive imported car with the leather interior.

The pink 'rat poison' is a waste of time. The rats literally munch it up like breakfast cereal.

The only solution was to get our cat involved. Her food bowl was moved to the car and the problem went away.

Don't use poison stuff cos if it croaks in a place you can't get to your stuffed and the stink will make the ride unusable.

Place a glue trap where the pooh is and put a lump of bread in the middle, not nice but nor are they. Caught a big one yesterday who has been causing problems above my ceiling. . sad.png

I had a rat in my car just over a year ago. It got in through the air con duct (which I now turn off when leaving the car). Apart from damaging my air con fan, and stinking out the car when it got diced up, it had also bitten through my water pipe, and was using it as a shower.

my rats do not like peanut butter !

anything else worth trying ?

I have a couple of the metal cages to catch them alive but that is not working with peanut butter

and I can here them at night laughing at me sad.png

Try some Aussie Cheese Slices then. Works great. Kan be found in most 7-11's I Think.

Win thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Try a Termite repellent spray, the one that really stinks, orange and yellow label with a fine nose sprout that you could spray into any nock or crany , they hate the smell of it as do snakes also, works for me in Kan. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

If I remember, will take a photo of this spray can and the other cans etc. that I use to repel mossies indoor and outdoor.

Win facepalm.gif

Try a Termite repellent spray, the one that really stinks, orange and yellow label with a fine nose sprout that you could spray into any nock or crany , they hate the smell of it as do snakes also, works for me in Kan. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

If I remember, will take a photo of this spray can and the other cans etc. that I use to repel mossies indoor and outdoor.

Win facepalm.gif

The name of the repellent that you are recommending is "Shell Drite'.

post-87166-0-96995100-1423048323_thumb.p

Win facepalm.gif

That stuff is strong enough to choke an elephant. I certainly don`t recommend spraying that in a car, unless you have asbestos lined lungs.

I have a couple of the metal cages to catch them alive but that is not working with peanut butter

The peanut butter was just approach, there are other baits like has been mentioned maybe bread, cheese, nuts are usually good too, some fruits or veggies, I also used the cat food believe it or not and that worked quite well too, a bit of mockery going on there me thinks, but there are many other possibilities, rats aren't known for being too picky in terms of diet.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The peanut butter was just approach, there are other baits like has been mentioned maybe bread, cheese, nuts are usually good too, some fruits or veggies, I also used the cat food believe it or not and that worked quite well too, a bit of mockery going on there me thinks, but there are many other possibilities, rats aren't known for being too picky in terms of diet.

the problem is how to get the rat to pick the food in the trap when there is lots of other things to eat......

avocado tree , peach tree etc in the yard , cat and dog food left out around the neighborhood

they need to make scented bait food that rats would go to first thing...........

Well like most animals they'll eventually go for the easiest and closest which in this case is your car, a this point he hasn't discovered that there is food closer by, they obviously have a nest somewhere close by, it's not just going there to leave scat because he doesn't like your choice of interior color. A rodents sense of smell is incredible, there's no doubt it'll discover it in short order.

Win facepalm.gif

If those photos are from a website selling the stuff online there might be cause for concern. Either that batch was miss-translated or it is fake because AFAIK, having bought it from various real world outlets in Thailand, its correct name is "CHAINDRITE". I think "SHELLDRITE" originates in China.

My advice is to treat the rat problem as urgent.

Visit Tops supermarket, rat repellant spray and blocks are available there. Use glue pads under and around the car. Try to locate and remove the food source.

I had rats in my car a few years ago, they ate through important wires 3 times. The car was a Mercedes, the repair bills were through the roof.

Just a note that I understand that some insurance companies will pay out for rat damage.

Edit ... Using poison bait is ok but if the rat dies in an unaccessible place in the car or your home, the smell will linger around for months.

Edited by billphillips