Fainting figures jumped in 2014: government

geovalin

Workplace faintings last year jumped more than 100 per cent from 2013, a report from the Ministry of Labour and National Social Security Fund (NSSF) released yesterday says.

A total of 1,806 faintings at workplaces were reported in 2014, a 109 per cent increase from the previous year, when 823 people fainted, says the government report – whose data mirror a Cambodian Labour Federation study released last month.

“I don’t know why I fainted,” said Chan Soth, a garment worker who keeled over on the job last year. “But when I saw my friend – who works with me – faint along with a lot of people, I was dizzy and panicked.

I think maybe I worked too much overtime without enough rest and food.” A majority of fainting incidents occurred at garment factories, the report says. NSSF data show faintings occurred in a total of 34 factories across Phnom Penh and Kandal, Kampong Speu, Koh Kong, Kampong Chhnang, Preah Sihanouk and Takeo provinces.

Among all the locations cited, 21 factories where the faintings occurred are in Phnom Penh. The government report lists a number of factors, including heat due to a lack of fans and proper ventilation, exhaustion, fumes and mental reactions to others fainting as causes.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/fainting-figures-jumped-2014-government

phnom_penh_post.png