TransAsia plane crashes in Taiwan with 58 people on board; 2 killed

webfact

Taiwan plane with 58 aboard crashes in Taipei; 2 killed
http://youtu.be/6BIsUCQEv_8

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Taiwan's aviation authority say at least two people have been killed when a commercial flight with 58 people aboard clipped a bridge shortly after takeoff and crashed into a river in the island's capital of Taipei.

Aviation authority director Lin Chi-ming told a news conference that two people were killed. The country's Central News Agency said three people were killed.

Taiwanese media posted pictures of the plane in the water several dozen meters (yards) from the shore in the Keelung River.

CNA said the flight from Taipei to the outlying island of Kinmen lost contact with flight controllers at 10:55 a.m. and the fuselage landed in the Keelung River near the city's downtown Sungshan airport.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-04

PLANE CRASH
Passenger plane crashes into river in Taiwan

TAIPEI: -- A passenger plane crashed into a river with 58 people aboard after hitting a bridge in Taiwan's capital Wednesday, state-run media reported.

Local television images showed police and firemen trying to rescue passengers from the Keelung River in Taipei City.

The twin-engine propeller plane crashed shortly after takeoff from Taipei Airport, en route to Kinmen Island, with 53 passengers and five crew, the state-run Central News Agency reported.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/aec/Passenger-plane-crashes-into-river-in-Taiwan/-30253353.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-04

The ATR-72 has a very bad safety record,
same type crashed with the tower in Koh Samui in 2009
same plane type crashed in to the Mekong river in 2013
and soon, soon,
Kan Air will use that plane to fly to Koh Phangan .

• Like 1

UPDATE:

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) - Taiwan state media reports 8 dead in crash of passenger flight into Taipei river after takeoff.

Straight Times reports:

At least 9 killed, more feared trapped after TransAsia Airways jet crashes into Taipei river

Twenty-six others, including two children, have been sent to hospitals in New Taipei City

Last year was such a bad one for aviation that many experts dismissed it as a one-off. I hope their optimism wasn't premature.

When I was much younger I always thought it can never happen to me.

Today, I fully realize it is simply the roll of the dice. I could have just as easily been sitting on that plane as anyone else.

Incredible there were only two fatalities.

• Like 1

Last year was such a bad one for aviation that many experts dismissed it as a one-off. I hope their optimism wasn't premature.

When I was much younger I always thought it can never happen to me.

Today, I fully realize it is simply the roll of the dice. I could have just as easily been sitting on that plane as anyone else.

Incredible there were only two fatalities.

Seems latest reports have upped that to 8

At least 9 killed when TransAsia plane crashes into Taiwan river

TAIPEI (Reuters) - At least nine people were killed and dozens were unaccounted for after a Taiwanese TransAsia Airways plane with 58 passengers and crew on board crash-landed in a Taipei river on Wednesday, officials and domestic media said.

Dramatic pictures taken by a motorist and posted on Twitter showed the planed cartwheeling over a motorway close to the airport soon after the turboprop ATR 72-600 aircraft took off.

Television footage showed passengers wearing life jackets wading and swimming clear of the river.

Emergency rescue officials in inflatable boats crowded around the partially submerged fuselage, lying on its side in the river, trying to help those on board.

The civilian aeronautic authority said soon after the crash that two people had been killed. Taiwanese television later reported the death toll had risen to nine.

The aeronautic authority reported 16 people had been rescued, meaning as many as 33 people were still missing.

Other Taiwanese government authorities said the plane was carrying 58 passengers and crew, including 31 tourists from mainland China.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/At-least-9-killed-when-TransAsia-plane-crashes-int-30253361.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-04

They are fighting to get the passengers who's trapped out and you can watch it live on one of the streams available online.

If only 10 people die from this tragic accident it's almost a miracle.

Edited by balo

At least 9 killed when TransAsia plane crashes into Taiwan river

TAIPEI (Reuters) - At least nine people were killed and dozens were unaccounted for after a Taiwanese TransAsia Airways plane with 58 passengers and crew on board crash-landed in a Taipei river on Wednesday, officials and domestic media said.

Dramatic pictures taken by a motorist and posted on Twitter showed the planed cartwheeling over a motorway close to the airport soon after the turboprop ATR 72-600 aircraft took off.

Television footage showed passengers wearing life jackets wading and swimming clear of the river.

Emergency rescue officials in inflatable boats crowded around the partially submerged fuselage, lying on its side in the river, trying to help those on board.

The civilian aeronautic authority said soon after the crash that two people had been killed. Taiwanese television later reported the death toll had risen to nine.

The aeronautic authority reported 16 people had been rescued, meaning as many as 33 people were still missing.

Other Taiwanese government authorities said the plane was carrying 58 passengers and crew, including 31 tourists from mainland China.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/At-least-9-killed-when-TransAsia-plane-crashes-int-30253361.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-04

Reuters got that wrong. The plane wasn't at all "cartwheeling over a motorway". It was coming down, tipped over on the port side, in a fully developed (wing) stall.

Also it's been reported that the pilot was on the radio with 'Mayday Mayday' a minute before it crashed, which could indicate it could be a sudden technical problem of some kind.

Edited by balo

Reuters got that wrong. The plane wasn't at all "cartwheeling over a motorway". It was coming down, tipped over on the port side, in a fully developed (wing) stall.

Actually cartwheeling is exactly what it was doing at the end and is the correct term when it's wing clipped the bridge and rotated.

Also it's been reported that the pilot was on the radio with 'Mayday Mayday' a minute before it crashed, which could indicate it could be a sudden technical problem of some kind.

From the video it appears he was having trouble clearing those tall buildings on the left and banking to avoid them suggesting power loss or reduced power.

Actually cartwheeling is exactly what it was doing at the end and is the correct term when it's wing clipped the bridge and rotated.

As many times as I watch that vid, I never see the plane cartwheel. It is horizontally stable. Not even after it hits the guardrail do I see it cartwheel.

I think of cartwheeling as rolling or tumbling end over end, as the spokes of a cartwheel would do.

• Like 2

Reports of survivors is 16 at this time though do not know how serous there injuries are... I do not expect the are many more alive in the fuselage.

The ATR-72 has a very bad safety record,
same type crashed with the tower in Koh Samui in 2009
same plane type crashed in to the Mekong river in 2013
and soon, soon,
Kan Air will use that plane to fly to Koh Phangan .

There are a lot of them still flying, short haul, overworked workhorse.

15 major accidents involving this plane, 5 no fatalities, 1200+ built, I do not know how many uneventful flights but still chances of crashing while flying in one must still be one in millions.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

Crashed TransAsia ATR 72 less than a year old

The crashed TransAsia Airways ATR 72-600 turboprop was less than a year old, delivered to the airline in April 2014.

Data from Flightglobal’s Ascend Fleets shows that the turboprop was built in 2014 and delivered to the privately-owned Taiwanese carrier on 14 April 2014. This comes from an order placed by the airline in 2012.

The ATR 72, registered B-22816, was powered by Pratt & Whitney PW100-127M engines and had accumulated 684 flight hours totaling 956 flight cycles as of 31 May 2014. It is owned directly by the carrier.

Flightglobal