Is there a visa for property owners in Thailand?

I read in some other forums here on TV that some folks have visas based on property ownership. Is there such a visa?

I currently have a Non-O based on marriage but you never know how the life turns out...

If I buy a condo on my name will I be able to get a visa based on that? What are the conditions?

There is an extension of stay for an investment of 10 million baht for a condo or money in a Thai bank or a combination of the two equal to 10 million baht.

If you are on a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage it wold not go away if you got divorced.

If on an extension of stay based upon marriage it would go away when you got divorced.

OK thanks for clearing it up.

To get an extension to stay, one must enter the country 1st on some sort of visa, correct? Will a tourist visa work for this purpose? And how many back to back such extensions to stay (based on investment) one can get?

Yes I'm on multiple entry Non-O visa. Joe, I understand you're saying it won't go away if I got divorced, but that must be until my visa expires, right?

To get an extension to stay, one must enter the country 1st on some sort of visa, correct? Will a tourist visa work for this purpose? And how many back to back such extensions to stay (based on investment) one can get?

Your current non-immigrant 'O' visa is fine. There is no limit to the number of extension that can be given.

However (perhaps because it's not frequent), it appears that it is one of the types that immigration is less willing to approve. There are no conclusive reports in this forum from anyone that has got one.

Edited by paz

Your current non-immigrant 'O' visa is fine. There is no limit to the number of extension that can be given.

However perhaps because it's not frequent, it appears that is of the types that immigration is less willing to approve.

What I was trying to say, if I get divorced and my current visa expires, I won't get another one based on marriage so well need some other visa to enter the country. I'm too young to get one based on retirement and ED visa is too shaky now.

What I was trying to say, if I get divorced and my current visa expires, I won't get another one based on marriage so well need some other visa to enter the country. I'm too young to get one based on retirement and ED visa is too shaky now.

You would get a visa based on the need to enter Thailand as an investor. Non immigrant visa can be given for a variety of reason not just marriage or age.

Do the rules for this type of visa for property ownership differ at all from the rules for a retirement visa? I already have one of those.

There is a big difference in the rules. You have to prove ownership of the condo and/or having the money in the bank and it has to be there for the entire year when renewing the extension.

Do not rely on this extension until you have discussed it with Immigration. I have a condo, (over 10 million baht), and when I asked at CW if I could get an Investment Extension, they replied "no", because I hadn't purchased it from a government agency, etc., but from an existing owner. When I had to go to CW a few months later, I decide to ask again, (just in case there had been some communication misunderstanding), but this time I took all the purchase paperwork with me. Once again I got the same answer, for the same reasons.

any idea what this extension is called? I'm trying to find mention of it on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website...no luck

Immigration does extensions of stay that is why you will not find info about it on the MFA website which is only for visas.

See clause 2.5 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay

Ah get it. First you need a non-immigrant visa, then you can extend after showing a 10M Baht investment. Thanks for the clarification!

any idea what this extension is called? I'm trying to find mention of it on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website...no luck

Immigration does extensions of stay that is why you will not find info about it on the MFA website which is only for visas.

Ah get it. First you need a non-immigrant visa, then you can extend after showing a 10M Baht investment. Thanks for the clarification!

If have not moved the money in or bought a condo yet the best way to do it is to come in on tourist visa. open a bank account, transfer the money in and then apply for a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Then apply for the extension during the last 30 days that entry.

If have not moved the money in or bought a condo yet the best way to do it is to come in on tourist visa. open a bank account, transfer the money in and then apply for a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Then apply for the extension during the last 30 days that entry.
Seems a bit tricky per alantheembalmer's comments above. If immigration decides not to approve, you got yourself a 10M Baht condo and hard time living in it full time. On the other hand -- Am I right in thinking you can apply and get the extension with 10M Baht in a Thai bank account?

Seems a bit tricky per alantheembalmer's comments above. If immigration decides not to approve, you got yourself a 10M Baht condo and hard time living in it full time. On the other hand -- Am I right in thinking you can apply and get the extension with 10M Baht in a Thai bank account?

Disregard -- that is in fact the case per the referenced police report. Very interesting!

Edited by ubonjoe
snipped quotes to make it 4 or less

There is an extension of stay for an investment of 10 million baht for a condo or money in a Thai bank or a combination of the two equal to 10 million baht.

If you are on a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage it wold not go away if you got divorced.

If on an extension of stay based upon marriage it would go away when you got divorced.

When I first started comimg to Thailand in 2000, I bought a condo worth in excess of 10 million baht and for about 5 or 6 years I was able to obtain a 1 year multi entry non-O.

Then one year, I was denied.. When I asked why, I was told 'Rules change'.

Disregard -- that is in fact the case per the referenced police report. Very interesting!

What I suggest is before buying the condo you go to immigration to confirm the one you are thinking about is acceptable or not. The rules are not real clear on what they will accept. Immigration seems to have some different rules than what Is written.

Do not rely on this extension until you have discussed it with Immigration. I have a condo, (over 10 million baht), and when I asked at CW if I could get an Investment Extension, they replied "no", because I hadn't purchased it from a government agency, etc., but from an existing owner. When I had to go to CW a few months later, I decide to ask again, (just in case there had been some communication misunderstanding), but this time I took all the purchase paperwork with me. Once again I got the same answer, for the same reasons.

well, this one is definitely your fault since the rules specifically say it can not be a second hand condo.... the reason is they need to support selling of new units

• Like 1

just put 10M in the bank, get a nice interest rate (compared with the western world) and live a happy life from the interest earned (around 400k Baht per year if you choose a good offer, like the one in KTB recently)

That seems the best option. Money comes to you not the other way around. Shhh don't tell the TE millionaires.

Hi,

We (my girlfriend and I) just bought recently a condo unit (total price 11,300,000 THB).

Condo was bought under our 2 names.

Do you think we can pretend both to get this kind of visa ?

Thank you for your reply.

If the condo is in both your names neither of you would qualify tor the extension of stay.

They might let each of you to put 5 million in the bank here and get extensions.

just put 10M in the bank, get a nice interest rate (compared with the western world) and live a happy life from the interest earned (around 400k Baht per year if you choose a good offer, like the one in KTB recently)

Whoa! Wait a minute...how does this work? Where are these offers? Are these fixed rate accounts or are there other offers?

Whoa! Wait a minute...how does this work? Where are these offers? Are these fixed rate accounts or are there other offers?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/