Bangkok to Hua Hin.. the best way?

Slavomir

hua hin is for cool people with money.

if that is not you, please don't come here.

I do hope that was just a not very clever attempt at jocularity.

I'd hate to think that there are really such insufferable prigs living in HH.

Whatever, it was an unnecessarily unpleasant comment. The guy is asking for information. Politely. There is no need for smart-alec responses like that.

Whatever, it was an unnecessarily unpleasant comment. The guy is asking for information. Politely. There is no need for smart-alec responses like that.

I guess you have never been to Hua Hin on a weekend. Good chance you will be hit by a Mercedes. My point is if you are comfortable with my statement then Hua Hin is for you. Very expensive places full of the elite are not for everyone.

there are a number of accommodations in the vicinity of hualampong catering to a broad range of budgets

True, although they tend towards the lower end. I've often stayed at the Sri Krung hotel just across the canal from Hualumphong. It's basic, but clean, and has a good little restaurant downstairs for breakfast. About 700 Baht, I think.

I love to take the train to HH on the odd occasions I go there. As mentioned, it does take ages, but it's a great way to travel. And if you're looking for an evening meal, there's a great little place just behind the Hong Kong Noodle place (you can't miss it - it's opposite the station), and near the MRT entrance. Tucked away a bit, but look for the lights that seem to drip (if you know what I mean...). A few tables outside, and more inside. Always busy. The chicken with orange sauce is delicious.

I guess you have never been to Hua Hin on a weekend. Good chance you will be hit by a Mercedes. My point is if you are comfortable with my statement then Hua Hin is for you. Very expensive places full of the elite are not for everyone.

Sure I've been in HH on a weekend, and sure it's got lots of stupidly expensive eateries full of hi-sos. So has Bangkok. I don't need to go to those places, so I'm unaffected by them. It's no different to anywhere else in the world.

there are a number of accommodations in the vicinity of hualampong catering to a broad range of budgets

True, although they tend towards the lower end. I've often stayed at the Sri Krung hotel just across the canal from Hualumphong. It's basic, but clean, and has a good little restaurant downstairs for breakfast. About 700 Baht, I think.

I love to take the train to HH on the odd occasions I go there. As mentioned, it does take ages, but it's a great way to travel. And if you're looking for an evening meal, there's a great little place just behind the Hong Kong Noodle place (you can't miss it - it's opposite the station), and near the MRT entrance. Tucked away a bit, but look for the lights that seem to drip (if you know what I mean...). A few tables outside, and more inside. Always busy. The chicken with orange sauce is delicious.

Thanks Nisakiman for the tip, never had chicken with orange, so might just try it out!

Strange no one mentioned the 08.05 diesel rail car which you also can take at Bang Sue Junction at 08.25.

Incidentally I just took a limo back and forth from Don Mueang to Hua Hin for 2100THB each way with wife and 4 year young.

That was NOT expensive considering it's 220km ride each way.

We landed 11am at DM and were swimming in the hotel pool at 15.30, can't do riding the train....

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

Strange no one mentioned the 08.05 diesel rail car which you also can take at Bang Sue Junction at 08.25.

Incidentally I just took a limo back and forth from Don Mueang to Hua Hin for 2100THB each way with wife and 4 year young.

That was NOT expensive considering it's 220km ride each way.

We landed 11am at DM and were swimming in the hotel pool at 15.30, can't do riding the train....

That was really good tip tartempion, I think I'll go for that 8.05 DRC train! It's air conditioned and the second class looks quite good there, seats seem comfortable and for 412 bht (cca £8) it's not bad at all. and it's supposed to include "an airline style meal and soft drinks" .. whatewer that means :)

I took that diesel rail car many times to Chumpon arriving there around 14h, yes seating comfortable and remember some breakfast served soon after departure and a warm meal (some rice with some meat) later on, dunno if that was before or after arriving Hua Hin around 11am.

The problem with BKK to HH by train is it takes about 3 times longer than by road. If you want Thai train travel there's much more on offer- it is also a scruffy little train with no amenities or comfort.

EDIT: Removed link to TRT- it was only the main search page.

Check Timetable & Fares _ State Railway of Thailand.pdf

Edited by Slip

Slavomir, I noticed that you liked [emoji173]️ my airporthuahinbus.com link. I have a suggestion. IMO, CHA-AM is a very easy and fun small beach town. It's an AWESOME atmosphere! Twenty minutes north of Hua Hin. My suggestion is that you take the bus or train, but stop in CHA-AM. The Bangkok Bank (bus stop/van stop) motorbike taxi will take you on a two minute trip to the beach road. It's a long clean two lane street which runs parallel to the beach. It's filled with 500 baht a night mom and pop style THAI hotels. Balcony, a/c, LCD tv, hot water, and clean/comfortable accommodations. It's very easy to just walk up and rent a room or a motorbike to explore the area. The beaches are clean. The water is clear. The waves are fun. If you don't like what you see, you just take a motorbike taxi back to Bangkok Bank, pay 40 baht, and hop in a van. The vans stop every five minutes. Google CHA-AM. You might have just found your new home. Good Luck!

Edited by ocean268
  • Like 1

The problem with BKK to HH by train is it takes about 3 times longer than by road. If you want Thai train travel there's much more on offer- it is also a scruffy little train with no amenities or comfort.

EDIT: Removed link to TRT- it was only the main search page.

Strange you say so, I had a limo leaving the Novotel Cha Am last Friday 6 February at 9 am to arrive Don Meuang at 12.30 with a 5 minute pee stop.

That drc needs 3h20 from Hualamphon or 3h from Bang Sue, closer to DM.

I did enjoy the drc more than the overnight sleeper.

10 years I live near Udon Thani now and always fly to BKK, no more trains or buses for me.

• Like 1

The wife and I want to spend 4 nights in Hua hin or Cha am from next Tuesday (well get a coach from Korat). We'd like to see both but undecided where to stay or whether to prebook a hotel. Is it busy (any events going on filling hotels etc?) . I like to have a bit of beach/snorkelling activities and also the new water park (vana nova?)but also a bit of shopping for the wife and something to do in the evenings ( restaurants and taking in the sights) not loud bars and karaoke. Is there reasonable transport between the two locations? I guess I'd budget circa 1800/2000 baht night but happy for it to be less if a clean comfortable air con room with nearby facilities. Pool is nice but not absolutely essential if beach nearby. Perhaps I'm not being specific enough but prepared to be open minded and flexible and welcome informed opinion/suggestions based on your experiences. Especially keen to hear recommendations on specific hotels.

• Like 1

The wife and I want to spend 4 nights in Hua hin or Cha am from next Tuesday (well get a coach from Korat). We'd like to see both but undecided where to stay or whether to prebook a hotel. Is it busy (any events going on filling hotels etc?) . I like to have a bit of beach/snorkelling activities and also the new water park (vana nova?)but also a bit of shopping for the wife and something to do in the evenings ( restaurants and taking in the sights) not loud bars and karaoke. Is there reasonable transport between the two locations? I guess I'd budget circa 1800/2000 baht night but happy for it to be less if a clean comfortable air con room with nearby facilities. Pool is nice but not absolutely essential if beach nearby. Perhaps I'm not being specific enough but prepared to be open minded and flexible and welcome informed opinion/suggestions based on your experiences. Especially keen to hear recommendations on specific hotels.

in short i cant see any issues that would make what you proposal not doable in a normal period but thing on near horizon is chinese new year . unknown if chinese have discovered cha am . have seen them in flocks at hua hin.