"SOS" system improved in Phuket

Thaivisa News

"SOS" system improved in Phuket

PHUKET: -- The second facility for tourists to record and send video clips to seek emergency help has been installed at the popular Patong beach of Phuket.

The installation of the second SOS Call Point box was announced at a press conference jointly held by the Krathu district police station, the Patong Municipality, the Phuket Tourism Association and the Infinite Technology Corp, which made the boxes.

Tourists can use the SOS Call Point to record themselves calling for help. The clips will then be received by the center, which will alert relevant government agencies to provide help to tourists.

Pol Lt Col Pongpicharn Chayanon, a crime suppression inspector of Patong police station, said the first SOS Call Point proved “useful” for foreign tourists after it was installed in December.

He said foreign tourists had recorded and filed some five pleas for help since then. A tourist asked for police help after losing a mobile phone. Other foreign tourists could not remember how to return to their hotels.

Pongpicharn said officials concerned were dispatched to help the tourists urgently and the tourists became “satisfied”.

The two boxes also serve as checkpoints for patrol police and cameras of the boxes also function as surveillance cameras for the beach, the police officer said.

Phuket Tourism Association chairman Sathirapong Na-Takuathung said the two SOS Call Point boxes would bode well for tourism in the popular tourist destination island-province.

Sathirapong said the SOS Call Points will make foreign tourist feel that they could handle their situation without having to go to a police station.

Good news, although I'd still like to see more lifeguards on the beaches of Phuket. The waves there can be pretty fierce. I was on the island a few years ago and watched at what I guess were Chinese tourists that got into difficulity. Not a life guard in sight but funnily enough it was some jet ski operators that rescued them!

Just to elaborate:

Pol Lt Col Pongpicharn Chayanon, a crime suppression inspector of Patong police station.

He said foreign tourists had recorded and filed some five pleas for help

How long has it been installed now? and in high season.....

A tourist asked for police help after losing a mobile phone. Other foreign tourists could not remember how to return to their hotels.

¨I lost my mobile in a bar¨ ¨I am too drunk to find my hotel¨, that´s 2 out of 5!! cheesy.gif

Pongpicharn said officials concerned were dispatched to help the tourists urgently and the tourists became “satisfied”.

Glad they found the mobile and got a tuk tuk to the hotel.....

Call Points will make foreign tourist feel that they could handle their situation without having to go to a police station, (because anything more serious, like jet skis, tuk tuk drivers, muggings, corrupt police etc. wouldn´t work).

Obviously a great investment, it looks good and we can be seen to be doing something for tourism!!