Supporters, Protesters Of Thaksin Clash At Central World

george

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate PAD more and more now - for attracting intellegent and sensitive people who'd never denigrate themselves to kicking elderly people in the face. Unfortunately there are also people who think nothing of it, and sometimes it appears they are in majority.

In the papers there's a picture and the name of a 17 year old who participated in kicking 70 year old man unconscious, in full public view, including police and journalists. That says a lot about respect for elders in the society. It also says a lot about people who try to justify this barbarity and who occasionally preach that Thai respect for elders is far superior to that of westerners.

I don't have a paper in hand today. Is this the one?

mongkol.jpg

Thaksin supporter Mongkol Buntem
Mongkol confessed, was fined Bt1,000 and released later

Photo and Text - The Nation (online version)

Text bold-type and size change - SJ

---------------------------------

It's extremely encouraging that the authorities dealt so severely with him.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

[but of course, there is one problem : this kind of logic has a real effect on people without education.

Absolutely true and frightening as well :o Many of the statements from officials that sounds illogical will make sense to a majority of Thais with limited education. and even some with PhDs.

This also reflects on the poor education system here :D

They're working on a larger following for the future:

EDUCATION

15,000 schools fail quality check

Watchdog says 4.5 million pupils suffer from alarmingly poor standards

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/23...al_30011741.php

Yes, SJ, that's the guy but the picture is different, he is 18, and he said he was hired by a major politician.

oh, ok. Thanks for confirming.

I'm just glad that he's been locked up and put away from society-at-large until he learns that kicking an elderly man until he's unconscious is not to be taken lightly.

Democrat Party requests police to check profiles of 2 men who attack PM's protesters

The Democrat Party has requested police officers to check the profiles of the two men who attacked Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s protesters at the Central World Department Store on August 20th.

Regarding the confrontation between the premier’s supporters and opponents at the Central World, Democrat Spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) has noticed that the interrogation of the two men may not be based on facts.

The two individuals have claimed that they are not police officers. However, Mr. Ong-art said that the they may have relations with high-level police officers. Therefore, he would like the authority to check their profiles.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 August 2006

Also, it's entirely possible that grown men fighting grown men is less newsworthy than grown men "attacking" women/children/old men so I wouldn't put it beyond the Democrats (who, don't forget are just politicians, not angels themselves) to employ them as fight instigators. Not that I have anything against the Democrats. They just want their turn back at the trough, like anyone else.

Did it ever occur to you that not all people need to be "hired" to express their political views? You certainly wouldn't need to pay me or any of my friend to verbally relay a message of choice to the PM.

That said, rather than engage in pointless speculation, you carefully watch the videos themselves before you make any further comments on this thread. What the videos contain are facts, and facts speak for themselves. Regardless of whether you're pro-Thaksin, anti-Thaksin or neutral, it's pretty clear that the police were not being very neutral.

Seriously, does anyone really want to go to a shopping mall and listen to people yelling out their political beliefs? I don't, regardless of whether their beliefs are the same as mine. The response was criminal, to say the least, but in a democracy with an upcoming election, aren't there better ways to get your point across?

Also, it's entirely possible that grown men fighting grown men is less newsworthy than grown men "attacking" women/children/old men so I wouldn't put it beyond the Democrats (who, don't forget are just politicians, not angels themselves) to employ them as fight instigators. Not that I have anything against the Democrats. They just want their turn back at the trough, like anyone else.

Did it ever occur to you that not all people need to be "hired" to express their political views? You certainly wouldn't need to pay me or any of my friend to verbally relay a message of choice to the PM.

That said, rather than engage in pointless speculation, you carefully watch the videos themselves before you make any further comments on this thread. What the videos contain are facts, and facts speak for themselves. Regardless of whether you're pro-Thaksin, anti-Thaksin or neutral, it's pretty clear that the police were not being very neutral.

A quote from a separate issue (certifying foreign teachers) which applies to the principles involved in the issues here...

Jakrapob Penkair, Deputy Secretary-General to the Prime Minister:

"It's a question of standards. We shouldn't lower our standards for the sake of opening more schools." says Jakrapop. "We have enough laws in Thailand, but we disregard them."

:o self-explanatory, eh?

Democrat Party requests police to check profiles of 2 men who attack PM's protesters

The Democrat Party has requested police officers to check the profiles of the two men who attacked Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s protesters at the Central World Department Store on August 20th.

Regarding the confrontation between the premier’s supporters and opponents at the Central World, Democrat Spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) has noticed that the interrogation of the two men may not be based on facts.

The two individuals have claimed that they are not police officers. However, Mr. Ong-art said that the they may have relations with high-level police officers. Therefore, he would like the authority to check their profiles.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 August 2006

Of course, if you were to ask if their cell phones and calls made recently have been tracked, you'd get a "euh, no. There's no need for that" :o

Yes, SJ, that's the guy but the picture is different, he is 18, and he said he was hired by a major politician.

Ok so lets do the math.

At the moment there are no members of parliament.

Thaksin says the everyone else is just is helper.

People not in office at the moment are what is called a wannabee and not a politician.

That can only leave Thaksin as a major politician.

Sounds straight forward to me, he just named his boss.

Of course, if you were to ask if their cell phones and calls made recently have been tracked, you'd get a "euh, no. There's no need for that" :o

That's especially appropriate for the "rubber worker from Surat Thani." (gosh, surely they could come up with a better alias than that for him :D ) Anyway, there's so much film footage of him... when he wasn't smacking elderly citizens or putting them in headlocks, he was constantly on the phone. Who was he talking to? That might be a good place for them to start investigating who he is connected to or working for.

Edited by sriracha john

I am saddened by your comment implying that a five year old child could "pick a fight".

I suppose you aren't condemning the parents of said minor using their child to promote their own political views? Or are you implying that a five year old child would come up with anti-TRT phrases all on his/her own?

That's especially appropriate for the "rubber worker from Surat Thani." (gosh, surely they could come up with a better alias than that for him :o ) Anyway, there's so much film footage of him... when he wasn't smacking elderly citizens or putting them in headlocks, he was constantly on the phone. Who was he talking to? That might be a good place for them to start investigating who he is connected to or working for.

What do you mean alias? Wasn't he named as Charon Chong-on? (a misspell or mistranslation apparently, my husband said the name in the Thai papers was Thong-on). Anyway, seeing as how he is a Surat Thani native either he is being paid (the province is famous for being a source of guns for hire) or he's a dead man when he returns home. Well, maybe not dead, maybe beaten up, but then again, knowing the reputation Surat has, maybe dead.

Anyway, old man river, freedom of speech can take place anywhere as long as people are peaceable. Not sure why it would matter if it was in a shopping center or not, they weren't there to talk to the shoppers you know. :D

I didn't say they were hired. I said I wouldn't put it past the Democrats (or the TRT for that matter). And I'll suppose what I like, thanks.

I am saddened by your comment implying that a five year old child could "pick a fight".

I suppose you aren't condemning the parents of said minor using their child to promote their own political views? Or are you implying that a five year old child would come up with anti-TRT phrases all on his/her own?

:D

Well my child certainly shouts "Thanksin ow bai" without prompting and, as a Thai citizen, has every right, under the constitution, to do so. :D

So I guess even a child of 5 can spot a crook, when he sees one !

That's my boy ! :o

That's especially appropriate for the "rubber worker from Surat Thani." (gosh, surely they could come up with a better alias than that for him :D ) Anyway, there's so much film footage of him... when he wasn't smacking elderly citizens or putting them in headlocks, he was constantly on the phone. Who was he talking to? That might be a good place for them to start investigating who he is connected to or working for.

Free lifetime AIS service for him I guess :D

Well my child certainly shouts "Thanksin ow bai" without prompting and, as a Thai citizen, has every right, under the constitution, to do so. :D

Evening Ricardo. Interesting that you bring that up... because I was having a brief chat with my friend's wife, who is a local attorney, today during our match regarding what can and cannot (legally) be said if you happen to be protesting. Perhaps Samran or one of the board's legal eagles could provide more insight. "Thaksin auk pai! I dislike Thaksin! Don't vote for TRT!" would all be fine examples of expression of free speech. Apparently though (or not, especially if you come from a country with more liberal interpretations of what free speech is), you can't say things like "Thaksin is a murderer! Thaksin kai chart! Thai pan hoon!" which would be considered min pramart (I assume this is 'slander' in legal terms?). We didn't get too much farther into it, as rain was threatening and we had to finish our match..... but I think it may be safe to assume that during these protests, not everyone is sticking to the 'cleaner' messages they wish to express about TRT and/or Thaksin or vica versa about Abhisit or the Democrats during their rallies. I think it might also explain why not every local thinks it is clear cut who are the good guys and who are the bad guys in these various confrontations. Like in many issues, there are going to be cultural differences in how various Thais view these things as to how various foreigners view them.

Edited by Heng

Evening Ricardo. Interesting that you bring that up... because I was having a brief chat with my friend's wife, who is a local attorney, today during our match regarding what can and cannot (legally) be said if you happen to be protesting. Perhaps Samran or one of the board's legal eagles could provide more insight. "Thaksin auk pai! I dislike Thaksin! Don't vote for TRT!" would all be fine examples of expression of free speech. Apparently though (or not, especially if you come from a country with more liberal interpretations of what free speech is), you can't say things like "Thaksin is a murderer! Thaksin kai chart! Thai pan hoon!" which would be considered min pramart (I assume this is 'slander' in legal terms?). We didn't get too much farther into it, as rain was threatening and we had to finish our match..... but I think it may be safe to assume that during these protests, not everyone is sticking to the 'cleaner' messages they wish to express about TRT and/or Thaksin or vica versa about Abhisit or the Democrats during their rallies. I think it might also explain why not every local thinks it is clear cut who are the good guys and who are the bad guys in these various confrontations. Like in many issues, there are going to be cultural differences in how various Thais view these things as to how various foreigners view them.

I may disagree to a point. The PAD prides itself on staying withing the law and being peaceful. I am sure there has been some training for small groups who may go out on the QT to help Thaksin along.

I may disagree to a point. The PAD prides itself on staying withing the law and being peaceful. I am sure there has been some training for small groups who may go out on the QT to help Thaksin along.

What folks pride themselves on and what they actually do in the heat of the moment are often two different things.

That's especially appropriate for the "rubber worker from Surat Thani." (gosh, surely they could come up with a better alias than that for him :o ) Anyway, there's so much film footage of him... when he wasn't smacking elderly citizens or putting them in headlocks, he was constantly on the phone. Who was he talking to? That might be a good place for them to start investigating who he is connected to or working for.

What do you mean alias? Wasn't he named as Charon Chong-on? (a misspell or mistranslation apparently, my husband said the name in the Thai papers was Thong-on). Anyway, seeing as how he is a Surat Thani native either he is being paid (the province is famous for being a source of guns for hire) or he's a dead man when he returns home. Well, maybe not dead, maybe beaten up, but then again, knowing the reputation Surat has, maybe dead.

Anyway, old man river, freedom of speech can take place anywhere as long as people are peaceable. Not sure why it would matter if it was in a shopping center or not, they weren't there to talk to the shoppers you know. :D

Yes, you are right, he has been named.. I suppose what I really meant was his aliabi background. His actions and decorum mark him as someone well-versed in police/military covert and overt operations making that aliabi about as plausible as calling myself a shoe repairman from Satun. Likely he's never even been to Surat Thani.

And I agree...with your 2nd statement. Freedom of speech is much too precious to curtail it for the benefit of strolling shoppers. It's a small inconvenience to put up with and its loss is too dire to curtail unnecessarily.

There's obviously a learning curve going on locally in regards to Free Speech. That's understandable, given its newness to Thai society. Other societies have gone through the same process. When non-violent protest movements began in the 1960's in the West, they were often met with the same brutal backlash as demonstrated by the pro-Thaksin group here. Perhaps it will take 40 years of progress to reach that point where tenets of Free Speech are fully understood and appreciated by the society at large.

Edited by sriracha john

Criminals used as political thugs

Both of the men accused of assaulting anti-Thaksin protesters on Monday have long criminal records including gambling, drug dealing and firearm possession.

Charan Chong-on and Chaiya-sith Lamoh worked as informants in return for meagre money after being arrested, and were later persuaded by police to infiltrate criminal gangs to obtain intelligence, a police source said yesterday.

Charan, the man seen wearing sunglasses in television news footage of Monday's melee, also served a local politician in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Tha Sala district before working as a canvasser for an MP in Surat Thani, his native province, where he worked as a rubber tapper.

When exactly was the last time he tapped a tree? :o I concede erroneously guessing and see that he has, indeed, been to Surat Thani. Any guesses as to which MP he served there, SBK?

Charan, who uses the alias "Parn", is a regular gambler and has been seen in several gambling dens, both in Bangkok and elsewhere, waging money despite a common belief that he is unemployed, the source said.

It is reported that he married a woman from his own neighbourhood in one of the grandest weddings in the area in recent years, before disappearing from his home to make headlines for his role in Monday's assault.

hmm... nothing suspicious about that... the overwhelming vast majority of humble rubber tree tappers have extremely grandiose weddings...

Charan was arrested in 1988 by Rat Burana police and again in 1993 by Bang Mod police for gambling. He was arrested in 1997 for selling 500 amphetamine tablets and having a firearm in his possession. The case was never pursued.

hmmmmm... nothing suspicious about that, either. There's got to be fewer than 10 people in the entire Thai prison system today for the similar offenses of drugs or illegal guns. I'm sure the 500 ya-ba's were merely for his personal consumption and were not intended to be sold to teens. Police will often overlook that small a quantity of drugs and almost never choose to pursue charges.

Chaiyasith was arrested in Bangkok on three occasions - in 1992, 1994 and 1998 - all three times on gambling charges.

A proverbial Boy Scout Leader compared to Charan.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Reply to heng post #143 What folks pride themselves on and what they actually do in the heat of the moment are often two different things.

from what I saw there was no heat of the moment, Thaksin left before the hit to separate himself from the attack. After Thaksin left there was no further need to protest so everything went as planned.

I am not sure where you are coming from on some of your posts. No offence but if you could add some explanation and logical as to how you arrived at your opinion it would help me a bit.

Reply to heng post #143 What folks pride themselves on and what they actually do in the heat of the moment are often two different things.

from what I saw there was no heat of the moment, Thaksin left before the hit to separate himself from the attack. After Thaksin left there was no further need to protest so everything went as planned.

I'm referring to people in general, PAD, Democrat party members and supporters, TRT members and supporters included. After all, they are often just normal everyday folks. They might be advised and "trained" to be as lawful as possible, but in the heat of the moment (any moment, I'm not referring specifically to the Central World event) it wouldn't be surprising if they strayed over the line.

They got your men, Tony.....

Police charge mystery duo for assault

Two mystery men who punched and kicked protesters at Central World Shopping Complex turned themselves in to Pathumwan Police on Tuesday.

Police charged them of assaulting others whose punishment is not more than Bt2,000 and/or a fine of not more than Bt2,000.

apparent glitch in the Nation's editing left unchanged.

They however denied the charges.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Pol Maj Gen Kamon Kaewsuwan identified the duo as Charan Kong-orn, 43, a rubber worker of Surat Thani and Chaisit Lohmar, 42, a taxi motorcyclist.

Speaking at a press conference after they surrendered to Pathumwan police, Kamon said that after checking into their background, they had no criminal record.

The yesterday's surrender came about as the police tried hard to distance themselves from the two men who were being sought after by the country's media and antigovernment groups.

Pol Colonel Manit Wongsomboon, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 6, maintained that the two men were not police officers

The two men, one dressed in black and another one in peach coloured shirt, were caught on camera and photographers as punching and kicking the handful of anti-Thaksin protestors as uniformed police office looked on.

The Nation

-------------------------------

If this secret police guy is a "rubber worker" from Surat Thani....

post-9005-1156260010.jpg

Then I'm the President of Thammasat University... from Poughkeepsie, New York

And today, according to this article from The Nation

Petty criminals used as political thugs

Both of the men accused of assaulting anti-Thaksin protesters on Monday have long criminal records of petty crime, including gambling, drug dealing and firearm possession.

Charan Chong-on and Chaiya-sith Lamoh worked as informants in return for meagre money after being arrested, and were later persuaded by police to infiltrate criminal gangs to obtain intelligence, a police source said yesterday.

Charan, the man seen wearing sunglasses in television news footage of Monday's melee, also served a local politician in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Tha Sala district before working as a canvasser for an MP in Surat Thani, his native province, where he worked as a rubber tapper.

Charan, who uses the alias "Parn", is a regular gambler and has been seen in several gambling dens, both in Bangkok and elsewhere, waging money despite a common belief that he is unemployed, the source said.

It is reported that he married a woman from his own neighbourhood in one of the grandest weddings in the area in recent years, before disappearing from his home to make headlines for his role in Monday's assault.

Charan was arrested in 1988 by Rat Burana police and again in 1993 by Bang Mod police for gambling. He was arrested in 1997 for selling 500 amphetamine tablets and having a firearm in his possession. The case was never pursued.

Chaiyasith was arrested in Bangkok on three occasions - in 1992, 1994 and 1998 - all three times on gambling charges.

What a lovely maf... police force. :D As I said yesterday, an obvious cover up that blew up in their faces . :o You can only be amazed at such stupidity. How can such crooked and stupid people ever become Police Commissioner Pol Maj Gen, Pol Colonel. What will now happen to them and those involved in publicly lying to the whole country, covering up for these two thugs, a promotion? Golden handshake? Now, just how crooked is a Caretaker Prime Minister, Pol. Lt. General, Dr. Shinawatra?

The eradication of corruption needs to start where it's most powerful after politicians, not the mafia, they come in 3rd, the police force comes in 2nd and gets the shiny silver medal. :D:D:D

The last few days have really left me feeling extremely angry and sad, wondering, what the f*** am I doing here...

Edited by Tony Clifton

They got your men, Tony.....

Police charge mystery duo for assault

Two mystery men who punched and kicked protesters at Central World Shopping Complex turned themselves in to Pathumwan Police on Tuesday.

Police charged them of assaulting others whose punishment is not more than Bt2,000 and/or a fine of not more than Bt2,000.

apparent glitch in the Nation's editing left unchanged.

They however denied the charges.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Pol Maj Gen Kamon Kaewsuwan identified the duo as Charan Kong-orn, 43, a rubber worker of Surat Thani and Chaisit Lohmar, 42, a taxi motorcyclist.

Speaking at a press conference after they surrendered to Pathumwan police, Kamon said that after checking into their background, they had no criminal record.

The yesterday's surrender came about as the police tried hard to distance themselves from the two men who were being sought after by the country's media and antigovernment groups.

Pol Colonel Manit Wongsomboon, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 6, maintained that the two men were not police officers

The two men, one dressed in black and another one in peach coloured shirt, were caught on camera and photographers as punching and kicking the handful of anti-Thaksin protestors as uniformed police office looked on.

The Nation

-------------------------------

If this secret police guy is a "rubber worker" from Surat Thani....

post-9005-1156260010.jpg

Then I'm the President of Thammasat University... from Poughkeepsie, New York

And today, according to this article from The Nation

Petty criminals used as political thugs

Both of the men accused of assaulting anti-Thaksin protesters on Monday have long criminal records of petty crime, including gambling, drug dealing and firearm possession.

What a lovely maf... police force. :D As I said yesterday, an obvious cover up that blew up in their faces . :o You can only be amazed at such stupidity. How can such crooked and stupid people ever become Police Commissioner Pol Maj Gen, Pol Colonel. What will now happen to them and those involved in publicly lying to the whole country, covering up for these two thugs, a promotion? Golden handshake? Now, just how crooked is a Caretaker Prime Minister, Pol. Lt. General, Dr. Shinawatra?

The eradication of corruption needs to start where it's most powerful after politicians, not the mafia, they come in 3rd, the police force comes in 2nd and gets the shiny silver medal. :D:D:D

The last few days have really left me feeling extremely angry and sad, wondering, what the f*** am I doing here...

This is a facinating thread on Thailands evolution. We see "western" influenced protests and concepts of free speech and the old guards concept of face and duty.

The Police General was doing his "duty" of covering up the facts and following orders from his superiors. He and the thugs are preserving the"face" of the PM.

We would do well not to forget Thailands centuries old values, both positive and negative and how many moderate people still find western style insult and confrontation ugly and reprehensible.

You mess with peoples face here at great personal risk as we all know.

This is why Thais love the guilty pleasure of seeing the high and mighty slip on the cosmic banana skin and fall from a great height now and again. As long as it's not yourself!

Ego is personal identity and the gulf between the fragile egos that are instilled in childhood and the non-ego of a true buddhist is deep and wide. (Which is also why it is so respected) Learn and wonder....