Expats who would rather die than go back home?

michaeltheR

If I acquire a mortal disease I will contrive a fatal accident rather than linger on.

This is your decision and after spending time with terminally ill cancer patients over the last few months,I respect your decision.

I, too, have spent much time with terminally ill people and the problem with planning to ending everything with a fatal accident is that when the time comes most are so busy evaluating treatment or care options and getting their affairs in order that by the time comes they are so weak and incapable of organizing a "fatal accident" that it never happens. Thailand is not a good country to die without advance planning. Someone really need to have an Advance Directive or Living Will in place. They need to have their affairs in order. They need to have ready access to funds in that their caregivers can access for their pain management. Most importantly, they need to let those around them know how they'd like to "go out"

If they would like to "contrive a fatal accident rather than linger on" well then they need to have an Advance Directive. No, they can't ask others to implement a "fatal accident" (that's illegal in Thailand) but at least it does give their Health Care Advocate a sense of direction.

I planned my "if the worst happens" strategy about3 years ago when I was 68 and I have also left instructions on my computer and in hard copy for my wife on what to do, who to call, email etc. What I must do is to keep it updated.

I have done my "living will" and my ordinary will as well but I know that I must have forgotten something somewhere. Hopefully I will remember it before it is too late. I have told my wife that If I ever get so ill that the choice is to send me to hospital to extend my life for a few days, weeks or months NOT to bother and to save the money for her and our sons future.

I have had a great 70 years and if I did die tomorrow the only things I would really regret is never seeing my Thai son grow up, never seing my wife again (though I will in spirit form) and never seeing my grandchildren in the UK.

• Like 2

After 10 years working in Thailand I was made redundant and lived the next 3 years on my savings then decided to go back to Uk

Proving I was there to stay was easy

Registered with a doctor from day one

In the first month had free hospital checkups for cancer, ENT, hearing, blood tests, bone density

Received benefits after 3 months

Given a fantastic flat rent free

Furnished with new goods for free

Free access to wifi and books at library

At 60 i have found a good paying job

Have new friends who dont look at me as an ATM

An increasing pension pot

Beautiful English seasons and countryside

Great English grub

I dont miss Thailand at all and I can go back as a tourist anytime I want. Most importantly I am back in control and not dependant on a Thai as to whether I can stay or not. Moving back was a great decision for me.

Btw as an aside. If Labour win the next election they have promised a 2 year wait for benefits. So if you're thinking about returning you had better do so now.

Well, congrats for getting on the dole so easily. I trust you are off it now since you have a new job. However, had you been more aware of your potential redundancy in Thailand, you could have improved your skill sets and moved on to better work in the first place. Poor planning is the root of social need. Yes, I know the reply, "I did not have the opportunity." You have to grab your opportunities, if you wait for someone to hand them to you, you'll likely need social assistance. Thus, the taxman comes.

After 10 years working in Thailand I was made redundant and lived the next 3 years on my savings then decided to go back to Uk

In the first month had free hospital checkups for cancer, ENT, hearing, blood tests, bone density

Great English grub

I dont miss Thailand at all and I can go back as a tourist anytime I want. Most importantly I am back in control and not dependant on a Thai as to whether I can stay or not. Moving back was a great decision for me.

Btw as an aside. If Labour win the next election they have promised a 2 year wait for benefits. So if you're thinking about returning you had better do so now.

Good for You, yet I wonder why you still post in TV.com - you must miss Thailand some or why bother with it at all?? Just curious. coffee1.gif

I still maintain an interest in Thailand. Why not? I first visited 30 years ago, my daughter lives in Thailand and I will return for visits. I just want to make the point for those hanging on in Thailand without the necessary funds it is not so bad to return home and get yourself sorted out. If you're doing ok financially then by all means live in Thailand.

Great English grub

Well, congrats for getting on the dole so easily. I trust you are off it now since you have a new job. However, had you been more aware of your potential redundancy in Thailand, you could have improved your skill sets and moved on to better work in the first place. Poor planning is the root of social need. Yes, I know the reply, "I did not have the opportunity." You have to grab your opportunities, if you wait for someone to hand them to you, you'll likely need social assistance. Thus, the taxman comes.

Yes I am off the dole and in work again. There was nothing wrong with my skillset. I was a senior software manager responsible for the Asia Pacific region and my redundancy came out of the blue. I'm not complaining, sh!t happens. I moved back home and dealt with the situation. Why does the taxman come when one needs social assistance?

In my experience, finances rather than anything else will dictate where most end up.

I include Health in that as that is closely linked to finances too. If you have (regretably) an accident or illness the possible financial implications could and does wipe peoples resources out.

That's usually when they start to head for the "home country". Then it becomes a case of not what you "want" but what is the reality of the situation and what is practical.

Going back home, at least to the UK isn't a matter of 'choice' it is a matter of' 'fact'. It is not as simple as some on here would like to think. Here are a couple of points:

1: You DO NOT automatically qualify for health care (except emergencies.

2: In order to register with a GP and get some treatments, you have to be living back there for 6 months.

3: You have to PROVE you are back for good.

4: If you are financially impaired, you will have a long wait to get accomodation.

There is a lot more, I have researched quite a bit, and just received the following from the NHS:

....Those persons in receipt of UK state pensions who choose to live in another country, either permanently or for more than six months each year on a regular basis, can receive, free of charge, any hospital treatment the need for which arises while they are staying in the UK, as long as they previously lived here for at least ten continuous years. This would include if they fell ill or were injured while on a visit here, or if they needed urgent treatment of a pre-existing condition. However, it would not include pre-planned treatment or routine treatment of a pre-existing condition.. . . .

Read the last but carefully, they also went on the say that the 'Free Treatment' that Expats can receive "Is under review" and will be changed - very ominous. GHood luck to all, who may need help - like myself.

I'm not going to go into the details,forget what you have heard,go back to blighty,and sure there is not quite the open door system (and we all know why) But you are British,you will not be turned away,from the NHS,the Social Services,Your GP,the Housing System.I don't see anyone living on the streets where I live,so don't believe all you hear!................Your Passport still means something!

Great English grub

Yes I am off the dole and in work again. There was nothing wrong with my skillset. I was a senior software manager responsible for the Asia Pacific region and my redundancy came out of the blue. I'm not complaining, sh!t happens. I moved back home and dealt with the situation. Why does the taxman come when one needs social assistance?

The taxman cometh because social services are paid by taxes. I too was a senior software manager; last as technical director for an $800M C3I system for a foreign Navy. After the naval officers spent a few years learning the system as our students, they became our counterparts, after a while, they became our bosses. The writing was on the wall. I diversified into consulting and entrepreneurship. I am sure you must have seen the Thais taking over, as they should.

I never told the UK government I left UK and still get post to a registered address since 2006...are you saying I have lost all my NHS benefits there?

So, you lie to your government and still expect them to pay you. Your government may have some idea which of its citizens use their passports?

I never told the UK government I left UK and still get post to a registered address since 2006...are you saying I have lost all my NHS benefits there?

So, you lie to your government and still expect them to pay you. Your government may have some idea which of its citizens use their passports?

So, if the poster in question has "paid in" all his working life, he deserves everything the government offers IMO.

So, if the poster in question has "paid in" all his working life, he deserves everything the government offers IMO.

Well, I appreciate your opinion, but what is the law?

Well, I appreciate your opinion, but what is the law?

Cheers.

I don't know what the law is but I do know that people have 'gone back' for treatment and rightly so.

No they don't.

No they don't.

I wouldn't be so sure. As a 30 year software developer, I know that it is possible. Whether or not the UK government captures that information and uses it, I do not know.

I shall be returning to the UK in the next few days.....I have been " on holiday for 25 years " ( 4 years living in Thailand ) I have a British Passport and speak in a Radio 2 Voice but i have never felt British! I shall be returning to the UK with my total world wide savings of 25 GBP and dressed in Shorts and flip flops as i don't even own a pair of long trousers or a coat ( but i do have a cool scarf ...) Life won't be easy as i don't know where i will end up staying as i can live anywhere in the UK.I haven't watched TV in 25 years ( so i am a bit out of touch.... ) Most of my friends have moved on to pastures new and in bigger houses and faster and more expensive cars ( something that i have no interest in..) I guess in time i shall look for a secondhand bicycle and lots of walking which i love! I am 51 and have never taken life ( or anything else ) very seriously and was " slung out " of private education for " fooling about " the only jobs i have ever worked in have been in " entertainment & radio " but to do a serious job i would find impossible as i do like to have as much fun as possible! To me life is just an adventure and i always like to have as much " fun and laughter " on a daily basis.

I shall probably return to Thailand in the future but then the world is a big place and i have travelled and seen most of it and so there are still other interesting places to visit!

But to be honest i am excited and ready with my small suitcase and my slightly eccentric mind and my Monty Python ( very silly ) sense of humour..............

God Bless You all Viewers!

F.J wub.png

Good luck.

and the great thing is that i can just " casually stroll " ( with my hands in my pockets ) into the hospital after being away on holiday after 25 years with my passport and birth certificate ( " a boy " ) and with the well spoken Terry Thomas voice and a few gags on the way in with the nurses ( don't you just love nurses gentlemen...? ) and i shall be seen to as swiftly as possible and all for " Free " ..........

F.J clap2.gif " Fabulous "

• 2 weeks later...

I know one guy who's gonna be 60 this year. He's here

on a retirement visa but is actually working online under

the radar. Recently, work has dried up and he's been

eating into the 800K he uses to qualify for his visa to

pay his way. He spends most evenings drinking on the

street bars of lower Sukhumvit and smoking 60

ciggies a day. He's says there's no way he's going back

to England and social security, a doss house, cold

weather and "Sharia law" laugh.png. In order to delay the

inevitable, he's heading off to Cambo whee he reckons

he can live for a third of what it costs him in BKK. Sad

situation, really; to be chasing cheaper living costs at

his age.

If the man has the idea and the mobility to get out and get what he gets here for half the price, I'd say he's got balls, and

motivation. How is that sad? That's just bad.

I've thought of it myself. No doubt won't because of family here but, if not,

I'd be on my way to there or Vietnam or Myanmar, where there's some surf as well, free from the Japanese water pollution.

and the great thing is that i can just " casually stroll " ( with my hands in my pockets ) into the hospital after being away on holiday after 25 years with my passport and birth certificate ( " a boy " ) and with the well spoken Terry Thomas voice and a few gags on the way in with the nurses ( don't you just love nurses gentlemen...? ) and i shall be seen to as swiftly as possible and all for " Free " ..........

F.J clap2.gif " Fabulous "

Ye gods,where you involved in those nuclear bomb tests,something seems rather wrong.

• Like 1

I shall be returning to the UK in the next few days.....I have been " on holiday for 25 years " ( 4 years living in Thailand ) I have a British Passport and speak in a Radio 2 Voice but i have never felt British! I shall be returning to the UK with my total world wide savings of 25 GBP and dressed in Shorts and flip flops as i don't even own a pair of long trousers or a coat ( but i do have a cool scarf ...) Life won't be easy as i don't know where i will end up staying as i can live anywhere in the UK.I haven't watched TV in 25 years ( so i am a bit out of touch.... ) Most of my friends have moved on to pastures new and in bigger houses and faster and more expensive cars ( something that i have no interest in..) I guess in time i shall look for a secondhand bicycle and lots of walking which i love! I am 51 and have never taken life ( or anything else ) very seriously and was " slung out " of private education for " fooling about " the only jobs i have ever worked in have been in " entertainment & radio " but to do a serious job i would find impossible as i do like to have as much fun as possible! To me life is just an adventure and i always like to have as much " fun and laughter " on a daily basis.

I shall probably return to Thailand in the future but then the world is a big place and i have travelled and seen most of it and so there are still other interesting places to visit!

But to be honest i am excited and ready with my small suitcase and my slightly eccentric mind and my Monty Python ( very silly ) sense of humour..............

God Bless You all Viewers!

F.J wub.png

Don't forget to have flip-flops resoled before your departure.

• Like 2

his age.

Maybe he should do some resurrect, their is no Sharia law in Britain

Have you ever been to certain areas in Bradford or Leeds ... ?

his age.

Chasing cheaper living costs at retirement age is actually what MILLIONS are forced to do in their Western home country...... lucky us who had the chance to learn early how to live in an inexpensive way here in Asia, and hopefully having a health insurance from a reputable company as a backup or emergency exit

Edited by siam2007

his age.

Chasing cheaper living costs at retirement age is actually what MILLIONS are forced to do in their Western home country...... lucky us who had the chance to learn early how to live in an inexpensive way here in Asia, and hopefully having a health insurance from a reputable company as a backup or emergency exit

Are their other countries cheaper and better than Thailand? Yeah, maybe, perhaps...But, it's not a bad place for those on a fixed income to live out there retirement years. Better than clipping coupons back in the states........