Americans in Thailand, how do you feel?

willyumiii

Being an American resident in Thailand, I am not as comfortable here as I have been in the past.

With recent international developments involving both Thailand and my home country I am no longer confident my future in Thailand will continue to be as comfortable as it has been.

Because of past good relations between Thailand and the US, I have had the feeling that we were maybe treated a little better in some situations than expats from other counties.

That was a good feeling.

Relations are not as good now and may get worse, even bad in the not to far future.

If I were young and single, I would not give it much thought. I could just up and go if things got worse.

I am not.

I am in my sixties and have a wonderful Thai family, both immediate and extended.

To restart my life at this point would not be an easy or pleasant task.

I was just wondering if other Americans residing in Thailand are having the same thoughts and what you will do if things go sour.

• Like 1

I have had the feeling that we were maybe treated a little better in some situations than expats from other counties.

Another from the nanny state with a sense of entitlement complex.

Please tell me why you should recieve preferential treatment, does your $$$ buy more baht than mine.

Head back to Obama land and gives us an update after a few months, I hear Ferguson is a nice place to be these days, especially with an attitide like yours.

I am surprised the OP was able to fill out the passport application form.

Think he needs to return to Iowa for a bit of poultry pleasure

• Like 2

Haven't noticed anything different in my interactions with Thais.

Yet I do feel an increase in hostility, mostly from those Brits and Aussies who disliked us in the first place. coffee1.gif

There is another thread where a non-American mentioned how many expats were losers in their own countries.

The UK and Aus. are tiny with combined populations about 1/4 of the US. Yet they are vastly overrepresented as expats in Thailand. That's because they hate themselves and their countries. As bitter old men they are jealous and have to be bitter toward others.

In 30 years their countries will be muslim due to immigration and breeding rates. They know it. They are powerless to do anything about it because their governments disarmed them.

They actually hate their countries and it shows in a multitude of posts. They have nowhere to go home to. They don't recognize their countries due to immigration and PC governments.

They've given up their sovereign borders to an international group and they no longer can claim patriotic pride. All they can do is criticise those who have an independent country with patriotism and who do have the power to change things. They criticize America AND their own countries. They are lost and broken.

They no longer understand being patriotic and think that those who are have lost the plot when in truth they have lost the plot and have lost their way. They are people without a country. They drink their days away in Thailand realizing that the old saying is true: "Wherever you go, there you are."

You think too mutt!

• Like 1

never sure

your right i dont like england, ill always be british,

but i will tell you one thing, and weve known each other a long time on here,

im jealus of no one on here, no matter were they are from,

you americans are patriotic ill give you that,

but some are also drama queens as i put in another post or rambos,

what i said still stands with me,

if the good old U S of A is that good whay are so many here, ? and then moan that the think there not being tret as they think they should be

no one going to kiss there a## just because there american

• Like 2

I think it's broader than just Americans, but all Western Expats vs. the hordes of Chinese tourist now being welcomed into Thailand. As those in political power follow the money, they may favor mainland Chinese politics (and now Hong Kong) and possibly governmental design to reach their favored image of Thailand.

I hope I am wrong, but with censored news, it's more difficult to discern reading between the headlines.

Edited by losgrad