Starting a Glasgow Celtic Supporters Club In Phuket

CeltNYC

Happy Friday all.

Bangkok has one so why doesn't Phuket? https://twitter.com/celticbangkok

There are a lot of Scots, Irish and other ex-pats and perhaps Thais here too who support Celtic FC. There's a bar in Kata that said they would host us if anyone is interested watching the matches live with fellow supporters. We could branch out into charity work locally as well as with the Thai Tims as well: https://twitter.com/thaitims

Thus far there's only a few of us interested so would anyone else want to start up a Celtic supporters club on the island?

Cheers!

I doubt whether Thais could name any club that wasn't in the Premier league.

Also, they tend to switch allegiance to whichever team is heading up the league.

The Scots that you seek to join your supporters club would also have to be Catholic as the protestants all support Rangers.

Kinda narrows it down a bit.

I know thais who follow German and Spanish league. Scottish not so much but they will be out there somewhere.

Agree about the Thais but not about the Scots.

There are protestant Celtic supporters and I know many. Celtic's greatest manager, Jock Stein, was a Protestant. Also not sure why you bring up a team that doesn't exist anymore. Would be more relevant if you brought up Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts or Hibernian supporters instead. Actually know a Hibbee here.

There are Celtic supporters from all over the world so didn't mean to narrow it down like I did. Just thought there may be a bigger pool of those supporters here.

Also, they tend to switch allegiance to whichever team is heading up the league.

The Scots that you seek to join your supporters club would also have to be Catholic as the protestants all support Rangers.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by CeltNYC

There is a Celtic bar in Patong still? Heard it wasn't really a Celtic supporters bar but would be fun if true.

Anyone know anymore details?

Celtic bar on Nanai gone ??

Sent from my KFTHWI using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by CeltNYC

There is no Celtic supporters bar as such but there are a few bars where they would go when in Patong The Market bar on Nanai rd used to be one but Patsey the owner has gone back to Ireland due to heart problems so I don't know who has it now The Blarney Stone in Soi Sansabai had a few and opposite there Fiddys guesthouse and restaurant always has some Scots in there inc Celtic supporters but as i say no dedicated Celtic bars.

There is already several Rangers supporters clubs in Thailand, dont know of any celtic ones. It seems there are some ignorant people on here (protestant and catholic). Both the old firm have more registered supporters clubs all over the world than any other clubs in the world. Being a fan is one thing, being a registered supporter and traveling regularly to games, no matter where you are, is quite common.

Any Celtic supporter club in Pattaya ? There's a rangers pub there , Dogs <deleted> and <deleted> Innarrow-10x10.png .

LK metro bar the Rockhouse is a good starting point. Alec Mulphy is the Guv and he shows all Celtic games he can. I am a Rangers supporter and he let me in once but was none too pleased when we won 3-1.

Many Thais Ive chatted to (especially at games here) are very knowledgeable about football. When they ask and are told that my team is Leeds, a strange look of sympathy mixed with bewilderment comes over their face before they say....

ahhh cantona boom boom Lee Chapman wife......

There is no Celtic supporters bar as such but there are a few bars where they would go when in Patong The Market bar on Nanai rd used to be one but Patsey the owner has gone back to Ireland due to heart problems so I don't know who has it now The Blarney Stone in Soi Sansabai had a few and opposite there Fiddys guesthouse and restaurant always has some Scots in there inc Celtic supporters but as i say no dedicated Celtic bars.

John has sold the Blarney Stone, is now Aussie owned and renamed as Sansabai Sports bar, has had a lick of paint and new stools with new LED widescreen TVs, always gets a few in for UK premier league games and a good atmosphere, John is still on hand and does a bit for the new owner, is a good bar for football. Fiddy's is Scot owned so goes without saying a few Jocks/UK in there (hope he is ok as heard he was not well a few months back) both John (Irish) & Fiiddy are good blokes.

• Like 1

There was a bar in Rawai called "Spicy Girls" which used to be run by a Scottish couple who moved on some time ago. They certainly supported Celtic and Liverpool but i don't think they showed Celtic games often if at all. I'm not sure how often Scottish League gets shown on TV channels here but my guess would be not often. What you would be looking for is a bar with multiple TVs and good fast access to internet sport. I think O'Tool's in Karon would certainly put it on one of their TV monitors if there was the demand but any sound would probably be for a premier league game on the big screen. If you got up enough supporters you might even get them to put it on a projection screen as they have two.

John has sold the Blarney Stone, is now Aussie owned and renamed as Sansabai Sports bar, has had a lick of paint and new stools with new LED widescreen TVs, always gets a few in for UK premier league games and a good atmosphere, John is still on hand and does a bit for the new owner, is a good bar for football. Fiddy's is Scot owned so goes without saying a few Jocks/UK in there (hope he is ok as heard he was not well a few months back) both John (Irish) & Fiiddy are good blokes.
I knew John had sold his bar but didn't know of change of name I will be in Patong next week so will be paying a visit as you say John and Fiddy are the good guys.

Fiddy is out of hospital after heart by pass and then he got a blood infection so he has spent a couple of months in hospital but is at home now on the mend.

• Like 1

There is already several Rangers supporters clubs in Thailand, dont know of any celtic ones. It seems there are some ignorant people on here (protestant and catholic). Both the old firm have more registered supporters clubs all over the world than any other clubs in the world. Being a fan is one thing, being a registered supporter and traveling regularly to games, no matter where you are, is quite common.

In my original post I pointed out how there is a successful Celtic supporters club in Bangkok already. I know there are at least one or two Rangers supporters clubs in Thailand but don't know how active they are right now?

Many thanks for the replies on here. It seems there is the odd bar that shows the matches but not a dedicated one yet.

Would be great to get some other supporters on the island interested in a regular club. The Celtic supporters I've met and known on the island would rather watch at home on the net than venture out of their area. Hopefully some more sociable and brave souls will emerge and that will encourage these folks to go to a regular club.

I've found a place in Karon that will always put the games on for us so we have a place ready to do that. We just need some committed Celtic supporters.

The Oceana Rangers Supporters Association will be holding its annual conference on 21st Feb in Phuket. One of many world wide conferences held by Rangers supports clubs registered with the club. Not something you will se or hear about from Manchester United, Chelsea, Barca or madrid who just have fans!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oceania-Rangers-Supporters-Association-ORSA/189796871057362?fref=nf

Very proud of you all for supporting such a new team!

Usually it takes decades if not over a century to gain such support so it is a truly remarkable outpouring for a club that is only a few years old.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your best bet is somewhere on Bangla Road might show it. Not really sure as its a late game and I don't know patong all that well but hopefully someone else can sort you. HH!

Hi CeltNYC - any ideas where to catch the Celtic v Milan game on Thursday in Patong

Sent from my KFTHWI using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Can't argue with ignorance. I only deal with facts and facts come from the governing bodies.

I concur. There is no argument to be made.

If Doncaster and the totally unbiased "governing body" say so then it must be true.

Anyhow back to the real topic. We're still looking for more members of the CSC so let me know who would like to join!