Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Authorities today backed up police officers criticized for charging two Dutch citizens with carrying a Swiss army knife in their vehicle.

In a scene captured on video Tuesday by a passenger, officers who'd stopped the car on the way to the airport in Bangkok ordered the driver out of the car to search the front storage console without clear cause.

The Thai woman, who was unidentified, said in Thai she and another foreigner in the front seat both had Dutch passports, and were on their way to catch a flight back to Netherlands.

When police found the knife, the woman said she had it in her car because she sometimes drives alone in Thailand and carries it for self-defence.

Pol. Lt. Chamlong Promkal of Bangkok's Bangkhunon police department said today the officers normally set up checkpoints in their area and took the couple to the station [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/06/police-fines-dutch-couple-carrying-swiss-army-knife-car-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-06

• Like 1

i sometimes carry my chinese look alike swiss army knife to open bottles of soda. and my 20 baht stanly knife look alike for when i have to cut things. you know like cotton thread for when you have to re-sow your cheap backpack when it comes apart or your money belts straps after you trip over. not safe to go into public these days.

• Like 1

As I read this I glance over to my Swiss Army knife sitting on a shelf in the living room. Should I start worrying or just hand myself in and hope for leniency from the authorities?

I'm about to run downstairs and take mine out of the console of the car! I've always carried it in there. Had no idea I was breaking any law.
  • Like 1

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

yep they will and I have done so on a number of occasions, no ifs no butts. Still classed as a prohibited weapon. Not a fine but a court appearance Edited by chooka