Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

Well she was pretty dumb saying it was for self defense...

Should have said it was for minor repairs...

Just l like all great democracies...only the crooks can have guns, knives, machetes, etc. I must admit I had no idea having a pocket knife in one's car was a crime. That makes me glad I am back in the USA in a state where one does not even have to have a permit to own a gun....makes the crooks think twice before robbing you

I don't understand one thing. The woman who's recording and cannot stop talking for one second is Thai. Therefore she must know that the cops are just going to ignore her no matter what. Just like they did through the whole process and when they were already standing outside of the car and her mouth kept flapping, the higher ranking cop just waved at her, kind of saying: just shut up, will you. So there's no point of chatting. She already got her little video. She can file a complaint. That's it. They would just continue ignoring her forever but i swear this woman would go on talking forever.

I can't believe how gullible you numb nuts are. If you could actually understand what the cops said they said you can't have a knife in the car they were specific about the knife. It wasn't a Swiss army knife as you know it with all the tools it was a switch blade. And that's it. What the hell you need a knife in the car for anyway. I've never heard of a car jacking in Thailand! Glad to see the cops doing thier job. Noone should be driving around with a weapon in the car and thats what it was a weapon not a swiss toolset with a blade in it. Damn talk about tabloid news.

Top police work...

x

Come on, a Swiss army knife. It like finding a screw driver or spacers in the car, they would do more damage than the knife it was made for doing many odd things, opening a bottle, opening a can, cutting tape, wires fixing many things, bloody stupid. So if you are carrying a small pen knife you are arrested and fined.

What happens if you were going camping in a forest with a Swiss Army knife wow64 I bet if you were stopped and fined your comment would be completely different. Put your brain into operation before you open your mouth.

You really are not the sharpest Swiss Army knife in the car are you?

Ever heard of Sarcasm... Once again Top Police work.

Sent from my c64

Is there a law against having a pocket knife in Thailand??

I have had a Swiss Army Knife in my pocket for 20 years. It is there right now.

They are a great tool for many things. I love my knife!

But I do not think self defence is one of them.

Seriously, am I breaking the law with my SAK in my pocket??

Bonus fact : The tool used most often on the swiss army knife is:

The tooth pick!

• Like 1

I can't believe how gullible you numb nuts are. If you could actually understand what the cops said they said you can't have a knife in the car they were specific about the knife. It wasn't a Swiss army knife as you know it with all the tools it was a switch blade. And that's it. What the hell you need a knife in the car for anyway. I've never heard of a car jacking in Thailand! Glad to see the cops doing thier job. Noone should be driving around with a weapon in the car and thats what it was a weapon not a swiss toolset with a blade in it. Damn talk about tabloid news.

it's only a weapon when the person carrying it is using as such. A car can be used as a weapon too, let's not forget. Also, there is no need for childish name calling here.

Hey Guys,

You dit not get it correctly. Swiss army knifes in Thailand are expensive. Why the Thai police should pay for it, when they can get one for free.

In Switzerland every kid has a Swiss army knife even in class. In Thailand even teachers steal Swiss army knifes from the school kids. Why should the poor

Thai police not do it the same way?

I am sick to death of hearing stories like this. After living in the Kingdom for 34 years I can truly say the Thai police have fallen a long way in the time. In 1980, the police although somewhat unskilled in the duties were basically fair, particularly with falang. Respect was given on both side of the street. But now, angry greedy frustrated men rule the roost.

A Swiss Army knife for damn sake. I have one and if it wasn't so lumpy I would carry it. Not for the knife but for all the other utilities. The girl should have known better and kept her mouth close about it being a defense weapon and told the police she liked the nail file, the scissors and the screw-driver. Possibly not the pig-sticker. 8-)

I think the copper just wanted it (they are expensive), and it is now in the bottom of his sock drawer, together with the Playboy mags he as well has confiscated to save the morality of Thailand.

• Like 2

There is something wrong here with the reporting, it does not look like a Swiss Army knife to me. It is not red, it is silver like stainless steel with a wide blade width. It looks more formidable than a Swiss Army knife. Perhaps the cops were right in confiscating it.

it's only a weapon when the person carrying it is using as such. A car can be used as a weapon too, let's not forget. Also, there is no need for childish name calling here.

What other reason is there to carry a knife in ur car? It was only a knife there were no tweezers or nothin else as the policeman explained. Childish name calling lol...im sorry were u offended?

Should not the authorities put more effort stopping MCs and bicycles on sidewalks endangering locals and tourists alike?

How about following up cars and MCs running red lights?

How about following up MC laws - helmets and no. of passengers on the MCs?

How about following up black window shields all around the cars?

• Like 1

As I read this thread i notice that 1291 users are reading this topic at this very moment, of which 1117 are guests possibly doing research on Thailand for holiday purposes.

I wonder how many now will give it a miss. The BIB have just cost the Thai economy hundreds of millions of thai baht. The PR dept at TAT are really up against it!

TBWGwai.gif

Whilst the cop was on a ridiculous fishing expense, if the stupid cow speaking in a coarse Thai accent had shut her gob and stopped pointing the camera at the cop whilst getting on his case, they probably would have been let go.

Gotta agree with you. Her voice is sharper than any knives you can get on this planet. The fine was....for her incredible voice. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

does not look like a swiss army knife more like a buck knife

it also appears to me they are in a taxi and the thai lady an the guy in the passenger seat are passengers .

I carry a Nepalese Khukuri and in my car in the door compartment on the driver side

amazing she talks after the leave u can carry a gun, big knife an no trouble

Thailand is losing it

A khukri in the door compartment? That definitely is a weapon and you deserve to get pulled. But still the Dutch pair were conned by the BIB.