Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

Siam Paragon bombers caught would have been a better headline for the Thailand news media rather than Swiss army knife couple caught with an apple to peel in a car.The brave and gallant police need to take all the praise for this bit of fine outstanding police work against this crazed Dutch couple of criminals.

• Like 2

When I first read this, I was carrying a Swiss Army knife in my pocket. I try to carry it everywhere, especially when I head upcountry with my girlfriend and drink beer with her brothers. I need it for opening beer bottles. Even in my own condo where I have a pretty good assortment of tools, I am constantly using it to work on light fixtures and other repairs. I have four Swiss Army knives but two of this type as it is small enough to be practically unnoticeable in my pocket while it sill has a very useful of the most essential tools for my needs. I have lost two knives of this model so I keep a spare because I find it to be that essential. As for a weapon, I'd prefer using my fists if it came down to it (I avoid all potential physical confrontations as my first line of defense), because its blades are too small to be very effective in a defense situation and the knife is too short to have an effective reach whereas my fists do not have this shortcoming.

I've got 5 - smallest blade size 40 mm and the largest 70 mm. Mixture of other tools depending on the model. They are really useful and I've carried them all over on my travels. My late mum bought me the first over 25 years ago.

As for a weapon - the blades usually are spear point slip joints so not made for fighting, But they are sharp, very sharp and hold that edge very well. I saw a demo where a guy used a Victorinox to slash a piece of raw pork, including the skin, that was hung up, He then used other modern designed knives like CRKT etc. The damage done by the Victorinox was astonishing - deep, long cut and certainly as good if not better than some of the modern tactical knives. They can be very effective weapons when close in - the blade, punching the tools etc.

But really, the sort of people who want to carry a knife for self defense aren't going to choose Victorinox when it's easy to buy knives purpose designed.

The one I carry the most has a 55 mm blade, bottle opener tool and is also a screw driver, toothpick and tweezers. Incredibly light, I had it for 12 years and used it heavily. Sill almost as good as new.

Now, do I have to worry about carrying it in my pocket here? Could I be fined and the knife confiscated?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is something wrong here with the reporting, it does not look like a Swiss Army knife to me. It is not red, it is silver like stainless steel with a wide blade width. It looks more formidable than a Swiss Army knife. Perhaps the cops were right in confiscating it.

The biggest problem with this entire thread is the title. I think the 'swiss army knife' was added to cause controversy; it seems to have worked very well by Coconuts.

The knife that was confiscated (in the video) was NOT a swiss army knife utility tool. Judging by the size of it in the officer's hand, I would guess that it had a blade length of between 3 1/2 and 4 inches.

For the last 42 years of my life, everyday I have been working, all over the world, I have carried knives. Habitual I know, but it can save lives. Current EDC (every day carry) is a folding knife with a 2 1/2 blade and I have no intention of changing things because of this.

That said, I never would take a knife out with me intentionally when socializing. Or going to an airport unless the use was for self protection.

I think posters just go into this head down without looking at other posters, not even looking at the video. I did the same thing, followed the headline and story and commented on the stupidity of confiscation a "Swiss Army Knife", which it is not after you look at the video. It does look like a heavier folding flat knife. Certainly the folded length looked about 5-6" long.

Like yourself I on occasions carry a knife either in BKK or Pattaya. And sometimes even up in the village if we are out late walking back from a party or function. Most of the time my wife does not know I am carrying it (which she does not like). And when I fly home every 6 months I leave it at my gf's condo. thumbsup.gif

SO EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE VIDEO, IT IS NOT A SWISS ARMY KNIFE

• Like 1

Always thought in the UK it is illegal to carry a knife no matter what it's for?

No. The laws are strict though. Anything with a blade over 3 inch (total length of blade not just the sharp bit) would be a problem and you would have to show a very good reason, for having it. Blades that lock. fixed blades, assisted opening and automatic opening blades are not allowed.

Even if your knife is a slip joint and is less than 3 inch you might still be asked to explain why you are carrying it in a public place. There is no actual right to carry one.

If you have a pocket knife, that complies with the rules you would still be in trouble if someone complains you used it threateningly, or scared them with it in some way. Taking it out and opening it in public could cause big problems unless you have a very good reason.

How times change. As young boys we all had pocket knives. Throwing knives at fence posts, telegraph poles, playing "stretch" and "chicken". Not big, and certainly not the tactical or fighting knives you see about today. I can remember one, maybe two instances of people I knew being stabbed. Now they effectively ban knives and have draconian punishments even for just having one in your pockets. And I read about more stabbings than before!

• Like 2

Well it would be true enough to say that these police are mentally unbalanced ( ignorant of what balanced law IS ); but in truth they are THIEVES. A swiss army is a desireable TOOL that doubles as a knife. Any man desires one and especially a Thai. Here was opportunity to have one. Truly disgusting police? Stupid children most Thai. Very impresive.

Always thought in the UK it is illegal to carry a knife no matter what it's for?

No. The laws are strict though. Anything with a blade over 3 inch (total length of blade not just the sharp bit) would be a problem and you would have to show a very good reason, for having it. Blades that lock. fixed blades, assisted opening and automatic opening blades are not allowed.

Even if your knife is a slip joint and is less than 3 inch you might still be asked to explain why you are carrying it in a public place. There is no actual right to carry one.

If you have a pocket knife, that complies with the rules you would still be in trouble if someone complains you used it threateningly, or scared them with it in some way. Taking it out and opening it in public could cause big problems unless you have a very good reason.

How times change. As young boys we all had pocket knives. Throwing knives at fence posts, telegraph poles, playing "stretch" and "chicken". Not big, and certainly not the tactical or fighting knives you see about today. I can remember one, maybe two instances of people I knew being stabbed. Now they effectively ban knives and have draconian punishments even for just having one in your pockets. And I read about more stabbings than before!

It was the norm to have a sheath knife.

True but we were civilised back then

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is something wrong here with the reporting, it does not look like a Swiss Army knife to me. It is not red, it is silver like stainless steel with a wide blade width. It looks more formidable than a Swiss Army knife. Perhaps the cops were right in confiscating it.

The biggest problem with this entire thread is the title. I think the 'swiss army knife' was added to cause controversy; it seems to have worked very well by Coconuts.

The knife that was confiscated (in the video) was NOT a swiss army knife utility tool. Judging by the size of it in the officer's hand, I would guess that it had a blade length of between 3 1/2 and 4 inches.

For the last 42 years of my life, everyday I have been working, all over the world, I have carried knives. Habitual I know, but it can save lives. Current EDC (every day carry) is a folding knife with a 2 1/2 blade and I have no intention of changing things because of this.

That said, I never would take a knife out with me intentionally when socializing. Or going to an airport unless the use was for self protection.

I think posters just go into this head down without looking at other posters, not even looking at the video. I did the same thing, followed the headline and story and commented on the stupidity of confiscation a "Swiss Army Knife", which it is not after you look at the video. It does look like a heavier folding flat knife. Certainly the folded length looked about 5-6" long.

Like yourself I on occasions carry a knife either in BKK or Pattaya. And sometimes even up in the village if we are out late walking back from a party or function. Most of the time my wife does not know I am carrying it (which she does not like). And when I fly home every 6 months I leave it at my gf's condo. thumbsup.gif

SO EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE VIDEO, IT IS NOT A SWISS ARMY KNIFE

I looked at the video again, more closely and carefully on full screen. I think you are right. Not a Victorinox shape at all.

There is a brand available here called "Rhino". I bought one many years ago on Koh Samui - at a temple fete oddly enough. Very good quality. Looks about same size and shape to handle. These knives are fully automatic (flick knife / switch blade), lock, have tactical designed blades and have a handle that could smash a vehicle window, or anything similar. The do also have a small LED light in the handle.

If it is one like the Rhino, I would be in trouble for having it in the UK or Germany let alone Thailand.

Yep. We all had them. But things were so much less PC then.

• Like 1

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

yep they will and I have done so on a number of occasions, no ifs no butts. Still classed as a prohibited weapon. Not a fine but a court appearance

So I can't peel an apple without a permit then.

• Like 1

ires etc

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

yep they will and I have done so on a number of occasions, no ifs no butts. Still classed as a prohibited weapon. Not a fine but a court appearance

Good to know, I have a small penknife attached to my key chain with about a 1 inch blade, has come in handy numerous times over the past 50 years as a crew driver, baring wires etc. So I guess a visit Aussie land is out of the question. In my home country I carry a jackknife with me most all the time, not as a wepon but for multiple other uses.

• Like 1

Well she was pretty dumb saying it was for self defense...

Should have said it was for minor repairs...

That was my first thought Pedro! Cutting her nails... Using the carrier bag carrying tool... But self defence? It would have to be the worst self defence tool she could think of! By the time she'd reached across to the glove compartment, found the knife among all the crap and then turned it around until she managed to open the thing she'd be sat with a two inch blade that would probably collapse and cut her own fingers if it anything solid! Hair spray is much better and she wouldn't have to mess about at police stations!

PLEASE ALL who don't know what a Swiss army knife is, google it and you WILL KNOW that the knife in the video WASN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Please look at the video again

the knife ISN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Sorry for the uppercase, but I can see from what most people respond to the OP and believe it's a tool knife, I said it before but people still post comments on the wrong type of knife.

Don't be critical of the RTP, they have their full rights to confiscate and fine the person having the SWITCH BLADE knife, at least 4 inches long.

IT IS NOT a Swiss army knife.

So wait, I can go to Sukhumvit, JJ market, hell any open market in Bangkok (or Pattaya, Chaing Mai, Phuket for the matter) and buy a whole host of illegal weapons from street vendors, but then it is illegal?

Why aren't the cops shutting down these vendors? Ohhhh, that's right, they are the ones that get kick backs from those vendors whistling.gif

TIT

You can go to a kitchen Chef's equipment shop in London and buy a whole stack of new, Chef's knives, and then when driving home you get stopped by the police, and when asked by the police "What are these for?" and you reply "These are for my OWN protection" you will get arrested and taken to a police station.

Basically, the new knives are 'legal' if they are in the car and going to your home and place of work and are intended for use in the kitchen, BUT you can make possession of them 'illegal', even in your car, when you state that you have them with you for your own protection.

As for the above example i.e. "...and buy a whole host of illegal weapons from street vendors, but then it is illegal?..." Er, well, illegal weapons are illegal wherever they may be found, and no matter from whom or where you purchased them. Unless, perhaps you encased them in plastic or glass, changing the nature of the weapon, and hung them on your wall at home as a curio.

I am not just talking about knives. The Thai cops would take your stun gun and fine you or even arrest you for owning one. Yet I can go to Sukhumvit right now and buy one.

Guess I'll have to ditch the Swiss Army knife and carry a spoon with me for all minor repairs, bread slicer and bottle opener.

Seriously, even a spoon could be used as weapon and most items can if a Swiss Army knife is a weapon.

They are clearly out of line searching glove compartments without a warrant. This was stated recently in the media by the Thai Police as to why nobody really need have any concern about the systematic harassments happening on Sukhumvit, Thong Lor Police Chief having issued a statement that the police need probable cause or a warrant.

That said, the woman sounds like she lost her cool. There's no need to say what she said even if it is true. A Swiss Army knife's clear main purpose is as a tool.

But going the other way, I literally saw on Beach Road in Pattaya right in front of Central Department 5 days ago, a colorful candy colored ice cream looking advertisement board offering various automatic weapons for sale. A whole smorgsboard of probably dodgy copies of various guns, the prices listed in terms of hundreds of thousands of baht per item, so I don't think they were squirt guns. But of course you only can expect this kind of contradiction with rampant corruption. Carry a cheese knife you pays the price, sell M-16's in front of Central Pattaya no problemo.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Bad reporting. Probably covered in the next 11 pages. That clearly wasn't a Swiss Army Knife and was no other kind of tool knife either. It was a weapon. These guys were held up for only a few minutes, the knife was confiscated and drivers license was photographed so he can pay the fine later. It seems to have been handled just fine without much to report. Only possible room for discussion is on the merits for the search, but that seems to be pretty standard here.

500 baht fine. Dutch man goes home and tells people not to bother going to Thailand as its full of rip off cops.

5 people take notice of him. Thailand loses a million baht worth of tourist money.

Nice work lads.

Spot on.

The fools cannot see the damage they are self-inflicting.

Carry on in ignorance.

I've been searched by police 3 times in bkk and each time they found a pocket knife with a sharpened 13cm blade that can be assist opened with a torsion bar (it's pretty much a switch blade) on me.

Each time they tried to confiscate it and/or fine me.

Neither has happened as of yet.

Nor did I have to pay a bribe either.

My Thai abilities are nowhere near this woman's abilities. ..

So why the difference in outcomes?

If you have had similar outcomes to mine...you will know why.

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

From my understanding you need a legitimate cause to carry a knife in Thailand. If it had been at a campsite or if she had been fishing etc. it would have been ok. While in other countries self-defense is a legitimate cause in Thailand it apparently isn't. Sad but true.

Strange they picked him for a seach what was on his shirt sleeve looked like some kind of insignia? seemed like they wanted to get him on any reason, past history perhaps with the police, but pathetic

Half of the male population wear those glock shirts.