Return Date Question...... Help

Hi in a UK national, my girlfriend has just got her 6 month tourist visa accepted. We stated in the application a specific return date,(3 months) but now im thinking we may stay for approximately 4.5 months if possible.

I know legally she has 6 months visa but will not sticking to the specific dates be detrimental to further visits? As in a year or so we would like to settle in the UK.

Also dose she need to have a return ticket when she arrives in the UK as i was going to book single flights?

thanks for any advice

By staying longer than the period stated in her initial application she is not breaking any laws, plans can and do change, but she could put her credibility into question in any further application.

It really depends what she put in her initial application, what did she give as her reasons to return, if for instance she spoke about employment in Thailand, and say presented a letter from an employer as evidence, then her credibility could be indeed be questioned if she stayed longer, worst case scenario she could be denied landing on her first visit, highly unlikely but it could happen.

There is no legal requirement to be in possession of a return ticket when presenting yourself to a Border Force Officer at the UK Border, what you're suggesting is within the rules, though not without danger. First of all a carrier could be difficult when your girlfriends checks in in Bangkok, they should let her fly but does she want the hassle? When presenting herself to a Border Force Officer she may be asked for proof that she intends to leave the UK, obviously evidence of a return ticket would help satisfy the officer, but so would proof that she has the means to purchase a return ticket, she could, and I say could, be subject to further examination if the officer had any doubts. When we travel my partner has been asked for return tickets about 50% of the time. Also worth bearing in mind is that two single return tickets isn't really cost effective, and the officer might wonder if when she submitted her application she provided dates of travel she hadn't purchased corresponding flights.

Ok thanks, One return reason was we own a business and need to return to that, the other was we had a housing contract till end of the year. I said we have cover while we are away in the UK and just put a proposed return date. Im now ready to book tickets and after some more thinking maybe extend the trip another month or so.

So maybe it may not cause much of a problem? Just didn’t want it to affect are next visa application in the further. As i am planning to reloacte back home in the next year or so with my gf.

Ive read that one person stated they were going for few weeks and stayed 4 months, the next time they applied it was denined due to overstaying what they stated on the last visit

Edited by sksk999

@sksk999 it seems your topic is similar to mine.

I think theoldgit is giving very good and objective advice so despite what I just replied in my topic, having seen his replies there and here, it really makes me think twice about opting for a longer stay, or at least preparing a very good story.

Why not stick to the truth?

Whatever the length of the planned stay; say this in the application.

If plans do change and so the visitor stays longer than originally stated, briefly explain in any subsequent application why and how they were able to do so.SO.