CM bars closing at midnight, What's your experience?

piewarmer

Me talking rubbish? I've never been so insulted in my whole life.

Whilst I agree that midnight curfew is for nanny states and I recognise the irony in being able to drink late in Muslim countries, my point is that people don't cancel their holiday to Thailand merely because of midnight closing. It may annoy some people but I can't see them vowing to never come back. As we all know, the late night destinations of Pattaya and the likes still open late and any crackdown is only ever a temporary thing. The same applies to the cricket sixes, other options or not. If it's struggling to get a quota of teams I'd be surprised if late-night drinking is the cause.

Really? People who have not been insulted on Thai visa havent lived.

At first I took the insults thrown at me here as personal, it was starting to affect my family relationships and love life. After one horrific bashing from WinnieTheKhwai, I walked next door and bit my neighbor`s cute 5 month old baby on her arm. I knew I was heading for TV breakdown. Then after a while I began to enjoy it, I became a Thai visa masochist.

My therapist has told me that if I continue to take the blue tablets I could be cured within a year, he also advised me to cut down on my doses of Konini, who`s agonisingly long posts are upsetting the chemical balances of my mind.

I would hazard a guess your balance of mind,is hedging to the paranoid,judging by some of your comments on here,keep taking them tablets never no one day.

I'm not sneering at them, and I have no doubt they were nice people. It just wasn't my kind of place. None of those places are.

I wasn't able to sleep tonight so I went out for a late night snack and a walk around Nimmen around 02:30 AM. I was shocked at the number of cars and motorbikes around Infinity nightclub. Tons of people.

It must happen every night but this was the first time in a few years I've been out so late.

Infinity and Tawan Daeng are two bars in the Nimmanhamin area that routinely stay open very late, demonstrating that the laws aren't applied equally in more parts of Chiang Mai than the old city. Neither of these two places appeal to me, and I don't know of any other Nimmanhamin places that get away with blatantly late operation.

I've heard rumors and speculation but nothing definitive; does anyone know how bars like Spice, Lucky, Infinity and Tawan Daeng can get away with staying open long after mandated closing time?

I'm not sneering at them, and I have no doubt they were nice people. It just wasn't my kind of place. None of those places are.

I wasn't able to sleep tonight so I went out for a late night snack and a walk around Nimmen around 02:30 AM. I was shocked at the number of cars and motorbikes around Infinity nightclub. Tons of people.

It must happen every night but this was the first time in a few years I've been out so late.

Infinity and Tawan Daeng are two bars in the Nimmanhamin area that routinely stay open very late, demonstrating that the laws aren't applied equally in more parts of Chiang Mai than the old city. Neither of these two places appeal to me, and I don't know of any other Nimmanhamin places that get away with blatantly late operation.

I've heard rumors and speculation but nothing definitive; does anyone know how bars like Spice, Lucky, Infinity and Tawan Daeng can get away with staying open long after mandated closing time?

discovery is another one open late late,Maldives is a late opener and the one next door can not rember its name.notice they all cater only for thais though.but as you say good luck to em don't fancy any of them, apart maybe for Maldives quite a classy joint that one

At least one of those is part owned by a "senior official".

I've always assumed that the closing times vary depending on the type of establishment. "Clubs" seem to be allowed to be open late vs. bars. I could be wrong. I must say Infinity and the places around there appear to have very good sound proofing. Even walking by directly outside you can tell that the sound is being muffled in the extreme.

I've always assumed that the closing times vary depending on the type of establishment. "Clubs" seem to be allowed to be open late vs. bars. I could be wrong. I must say Infinity and the places around there appear to have very good sound proofing. Even walking by directly outside you can tell that the sound is being muffled in the extreme.

could be right as monkey club and warm up are open late 2-3oclock

A) Tuskers' owners were great hosts, and did do at least a couple of TV parties with free beer, and a collection box was passed around for an orphanage. Not the best; but far above average for today's bar situation. Actually had a good HH, too. B) The Maldives off Nimman was doing 2 large Heinekens for 200 a few weeks ago....pretty fair for a place like that. Isn't there another Maldives by JJ Market?

I think if it were that simple many places--Zoe in Yellow, Reggae Bar, Warm-Up, etc.--would simple reclassify themselves as clubs. I'm sure some high-level friends decide who is exempt from rules, but I assume more is involved than simply paying a bribe. If all that was required was a bribe many places would be open late.

I haven't been to Warm-Up for years, but they used to stop selling at either midnight or 1 a.m., and closed about an hour after that.

discovery is another one open late late,Maldives is a late opener and the one next door can not rember its name.notice they all cater only for thais though.but as you say good luck to em don't fancy any of them, apart maybe for Maldives quite a classy joint that one

I forgot about Maldives. I think it stays open late when it has enough customers to justify it, but the last couple of times I was there it was nearly empty. I don't know why, I also think it's a nice place for food and drinks.

I think if it were that simple many places--Zoe in Yellow, Reggae Bar, Warm-Up, etc.--would simple reclassify themselves as clubs. I'm sure some high-level friends decide who is exempt from rules, but I assume more is involved than simply paying a bribe. If all that was required was a bribe many places would be open late.

Surely the type of business license to run something like Infinity or Warm-Up is very different from Reggae Bar or Zoe Yellow. I've always assumed that the type of license you have gives you certain privileges and certain responsibilities. The cost of the license is probably also quite different, but I doubt either is very expensive. All just speculation on my part.

As far as I know Warm-Up goes until 3 AM as well.

Edited by JulieM

Surely the type of business license to run something like Infinity or Warm-Up is very different from Reggae Bar or Zoe Yellow. I've always assumed that the type of license you have gives you certain privileges and certain responsibilities. The cost of the license is probably also quite different, but I doubt either is very expensive. All just speculation on my part.

You're right, there are different classes of licence and I'm sure that like every country in the world they don't give out nightclub licences willy-nilly, so Heybruce's suggestion that Zoe or Reggae Bar could simply get one doesn't apply. The process of deciding who exactly gets one may be different however.

The recent article that somebody linked to, and I can't find, that was either in the BKK Post or citylife mentioned regular bar and restaurant alcohol selling hours as being till midnight and 'places with entertainment licence' or something like that as being 3am.

Its pointless to ask these types of questions on Thai Visa - we all know the demographics of this site and its quickly been replaced by "digital nomads" aka glorified backpackers with a lap top

Ask them where the best clubs, bars, after hours establishments are - facebook chiang mai digital nomads

Its pointless to ask these types of questions on Thai Visa - we all know the demographics of this site and its quickly been replaced by "digital nomads" aka glorified backpackers with a lap top

Ask them where the best clubs, bars, after hours establishments are - facebook chiang mai digital nomads

It's pointless to ask "replying to CM bars closing at midnight, What's your experience?"

That is what this thread is all about.

likely a good place to find a visa run van, or a LGBT friendly bar near Nimman....not much else.

No all entertainment establishments come under the same licensing code..

Legally and for many many years, since the purachai social order campaign at the very least.. Its 12 midnight except in a few rare 'special entertainment zones'..

Routinely ignored or paid to be tolerated.

You're right, there are different classes of licence and I'm sure that like every country in the world they don't give out nightclub licences willy-nilly, so Heybruce's suggestion that Zoe or Reggae Bar could simply get one doesn't apply. The process of deciding who exactly gets one may be different however.

The recent article that somebody linked to, and I can't find, that was either in the BKK Post or citylife mentioned regular bar and restaurant alcohol selling hours as being till midnight and 'places with entertainment licence' or something like that as being 3am.

I know of no difference venue licensing.. And for sure closing times are the same (legally).. They need of course an alcohol retail license and must stick to the laws (fire exits, noise, opening times, etc).. But I am unaware of any different license for a club, live music venue, bar, etc etc.. They ALL close at midnight not 3am.

Would like to know what different licensing is needed and how the rules are different legally.

My experience is, the bars that cater to tourists close early. Many Thai bars rage on until the wee hours.

Riding all around the city at 3 or 4 am.. I would say 'rage' isnt the term I would use..

Yes possible to get a quiet drink but the few places that are 'raging' are more the tourist side.. Niman area / canal rd / tawan deng etc Thai places some of the earlier ones to shut these days.

My experience is, the bars that cater to tourists close early. Many Thai bars rage on until the wee hours.

Riding all around the city at 3 or 4 am.. I would say 'rage' isnt the term I would use..

Yes possible to get a quiet drink but the few places that are 'raging' are more the tourist side.. Niman area / canal rd / tawan deng etc Thai places some of the earlier ones to shut these days.

very much doubt if tourists to chiang mai even no were, or have heard about infinity, nimmanahaemin rd, tawan dang, discovery, even maya to some extent,warm up, monkey club, blar blar bar, every one of these places are open till around 2ish.

very much doubt if tourists to chiang mai even no were, or have heard about infinity, nimmanahaemin rd, tawan dang, discovery, even maya to some extent,warm up, monkey club, blar blar bar, every one of these places are open till around 2ish.

Got closed out of Monkey twice over xmas / new year at 12:30.. Asked to pay up very promptly at 12.. Same at Oxide.

Came riding through Niman, at maybe 1 or 1:30 in the week or two before xmas, looking for a last stop and it was silent.. Even the crowds in car parks and departing clubs were gone.. Lights off and the bar staff gone.. The entire zone was over with nothing to be obviously seen. They were not in the process of closing, they were already definitely closed.. Raging it certainly was not.

Zoe, spicy and the Reggae place outside of Thapea gate were still going at this point in the evening. Surprised me that the farang tourist side was going and the more Thai side wasnt.

Not been out since Jan 2nd as broke some bones.. But thats how it was in Dec..

• Like 1

I know of no difference venue licensing.. And for sure closing times are the same (legally).. They need of course an alcohol retail license and must stick to the laws (fire exits, noise, opening times, etc).. But I am unaware of any different license for a club, live music venue, bar, etc etc.. They ALL close at midnight not 3am.

Would like to know what different licensing is needed and how the rules are different legally.

My understanding (from people I know who even have them displayed on the wall in their premises wink.png ) there are certainly different entertainment licences with different restrictions.

Some of these classes of licence are no longer issued, but the existing ones are grandfathered in, and now quite valuable, though often tied to a specific premises.

My understanding (from people I know who even have them displayed on the wall in their premises wink.png ) there are certainly different entertainment licences with different restrictions.

Some of these classes of licence are no longer issued, but the existing ones are grandfathered in, and now quite valuable, though often tied to a specific premises.

That could explain Spice, Tawan Daeng, and a few others, but not Infinity. Infinity is only a few years old.

The more threads I read at the moment the more I despair at the moronic posts on here. This forum is really being dumbed down now and it's not by those digital Nomads that people like to complain about. There are so many people with chips on their shoulders it's sad. There are some balanced posters though, chips on both shoulders. The number of people who post sense and respond to the thread is getting less and less.

• Like 1

The more threads I read at the moment the more I despair at the moronic posts on here. This forum is really being dumbed down now and it's not by those digital Nomads that people like to complain about. There are so many people with chips on their shoulders it's sad. There are some balanced posters though, chips on both shoulders. The number of people who post sense and respond to the thread is getting less and less.

welcome to tv mate,you will get use to it eventually.
  • Like 1

There is a lot of good info here, thank you to the many who have contributed their 1st person experience. may we continue to get more feedback please?

The ebb and flow of early closing is in the ebb stage at the moment.

I would not describe the majority of replies as good info.

Good info would be hearing from the actual business owners themselves.