CM bars closing at midnight, What's your experience?

piewarmer

I have a bar business but haven't had any visit or feedback from the BIB at all.

We aren't in the busy area of the Loi Kroh bar strip. Were strictly closing at 12 midnight to be good.

I hear from customers that Spicy and lucky are the only venues allowed to trade after 12:00 midnight.

Despite this, some tell me many bars have lock-ins and others are fully open.

Some friends tell me the local soi bars had to close at 12.

It's confusing, Last night (Friday) our customers went up Loi Kroh at 12:00 to continue drinking but It was fully shut down.

Not even Lock-Ins.

Has anyone heard directly from the BIB at all about what's expected.

What about 2-5PM bar trade?..I haven't heard of anyone being told to close or only sell cola but I may be missing something.

Mr K never seems to have any problems keeping himself going until well after the football finishes broadcasting, but I believe your customers are correct in saying nothing open on Loi Kroh. Seems to be plenty that are staying open as long as they have customers. Perhaps a walk around town after closing tonight would be the best idea, and maybe you can chat to the other owners? Sounds like a plan (and an excuse for a pub crawl).

Mr K never seems to have any problems keeping himself going until well after the football finishes broadcasting, but I believe your customers are correct in saying nothing open on Loi Kroh. Seems to be plenty that are staying open as long as they have customers. Perhaps a walk around town after closing tonight would be the best idea, and maybe you can chat to the other owners? Sounds like a plan (and an excuse for a pub crawl).

That's Mr K on Khampangdin road right?

One night the bars are open, the next they're not. I tried on Tuesday at 1am..... ghost town.

Edited by piewarmer

I think zoe and spicy are attracting the bulk of drinkers and party goers in chiang mai.my opion for what its worth is many girle bars have shot the selves in the foot, with there bar prices and don't realize a lot of tourist coming here are mainly back packers on limited budgets.

• Like 1

Firstly, the police are not going to give any feedbacks as to their strategy regarding the Loi Kroh Road and surrounding areas. I can tell you to expect many more random police checks in the future and that the whole area is under scrutiny. These directive are coming from the top.

Unfortunately the situation is not going to improve and I can foresee the eventual closing down of most of the adult entertainment venues in Chiang Mai. Even as far afield as Chiang Mai Land has not escaped the clampdowns. The police are now looking for any excuses to close down these establishments, it`s just a matter of time, so the word is; abide by the rules as much as possible, don`t get caught out, otherwise they`ll close you down without hesitation.

What's so special about bars after midnight? If midnight does stick as the magic hour, then --- what the h@ll --- start earlier, then go home for a good night's sleep or whatever with whomever you happen to engage for a frolic.

• Like 1

I noticed a change in the nightlife scene around 2002 I guess it was. Prior to that the bars would roar until 2 AM and then everyone headed off to Nice Illusion until the wee hours. But since that change it has seemed pretty stable.

Firstly, the police are not going to give any feedbacks as to their strategy regarding the Loi Kroh Road and surrounding areas. I can tell you to expect many more random police checks in the future and that the whole area is under scrutiny. These directive are coming from the top.

Unfortunately the situation is not going to improve and I can foresee the eventual closing down of most of the adult entertainment venues in Chiang Mai. Even as far afield as Chiang Mai Land has not escaped the clampdowns. The police are now looking for any excuses to close down these establishments, it`s just a matter of time, so the word is; abide by the rules as much as possible, don`t get caught out, otherwise they`ll close you down without hesitation.

It had better improve when the Cricket Sixes arrive or that tournament (or the teams) will probably move elsewhere next year.

Unfortunately the situation is not going to improve and I can foresee the eventual closing down of most of the adult entertainment venues in Chiang Mai.

You've been predicting this for many years already and it has never happened. I am guessing that things will continue pretty much as they have been.

right. his predictions and tips from "inside connections" have not gone the way he predicted. in fact it's just the opposite. i think he may be a NARC.

• Like 1

My understanding is that Bangkok police are in town and that is what has caused the strict 12:00am close, along with a number of other related incidents.

Apparently, as usual when officialdom from down South visits town, they will be going back to their home after a week, which i'm guessing will be either tonight, Saturday or Sunday.

Once the General took the steering wheel it became music off by 12:00am, bar can stay open until 1:00am or so (whenever the police pick up does its shut down lap or authority).

I'm presuming next week the situation will return to the scenario as per mentioned in the previous sentence.

There were about a dozen BiB in front of Tesco Nimman Thursday night at about 22:30, for no apparent reason. The always cheerful and pleasant people working at the bottle shop are now slamming the steel gates down at about 23:15, and no longer allowing people to linger past Midnight. So, yeah, it does seem like the heat was turned up a notch. They were only going until 03:30 last night by my condo; instead of 05:00, so the temperance movement may be taking root.

There were about a dozen BiB in front of Tesco Nimman Thursday night at about 22:30, for no apparent reason. The always cheerful and pleasant people working at the bottle shop are now slamming the steel gates down at about 23:15, and no longer allowing people to linger past Midnight. So, yeah, it does seem like the heat was turned up a notch. They were only going until 03:30 last night by my condo; instead of 05:00, so the temperance movement may be taking root.

infinity as far as I can rember never ever closes till gone 3oclock.
  • Like 1

It had better improve when the Cricket Sixes arrive or that tournament (or the teams) will probably move elsewhere next year.

I agree, closing bars at midnight is just not cricket.

• Like 1

That argument is as predictable as the 'it will kill tourism' argument that surfaces every time there is a crackdown. Being able to drink till midnight is probably the norm in most countries and is not a factor as to whether somebody visits a place or not. If it were true then nobody would ever go to Laos, right? I'm surprised that the golden goose hasn't been mentioned yet.

I will see your "golden goose" and raise you "another nail in the coffin".

• Like 2

That argument is as predictable as the 'it will kill tourism' argument that surfaces every time there is a crackdown. Being able to drink till midnight is probably the norm in most countries and is not a factor as to whether somebody visits a place or not. If it were true then nobody would ever go to Laos, right? I'm surprised that the golden goose hasn't been mentioned yet.

I will see your "golden goose" and raise you "another nail in the coffin".

We're all doooomed (said in best Scottish accent ;) )

That's Mr K on Khampangdin road right?

One night the bars are open, the next they're not. I tried on Tuesday at 1am..... ghost town.

No, sorry - I meant my husband.

• Like 1

I don’t care what time is used but a uniform closing should be enforced everywhere.

What a unique situation we have. A bar must be shuttered by Midnight, however a

“pub” , “licensed entertainment venue” or “disco” pumps out its scum into the street until

various hours until 07:00 respectively. What is up with that? What is the purpose other than to promote

corruption and cronyism? It certainly does not enhance harm reduction associated with late night drinking.

Edited by arunsakda

I was in a bar last night at 3am if you know where, you can drink around the clock

The cops have it in for Loih Kroh and they always get them first and then the boxing ring the other smaller bars off the Sois get less attention just lay low keep the music down and I am sure you can stay open as long as you want .

Posts 9, 12, 13 and 14 are exactly what I was looking for.

I also heard it's the intermittent visits by the Bangers boys causes all the mayhem, nothing new about that.

rember many many years ago in patong bangla one oclock in the morning there was real commotion going on the police from Bangkok had arrived and all the bar owners were in panic,dont think it had happened before closing bars that early.

Not a bar-drinker myself, but I sympathise with those who are and just want to enjoy a good night out. I like to be all snuggled up in bed with my tablet by 9 o'clock

The biggest issue from a personal point of view (I know that there are party people and younger people who like to stay up a lot later than us old farts) is with the sport being on at inconvenient times. Mr K goes out to watch the footie. He loves it. He can get it at home, but such things are better shared (at least that's what I think). Pint in hand, that kind of thing. The last game starts at what? 12.30am? Thereabouts anyway. So the bars can't show those games? What about games already in progress? Just chuck everyone out mid-match when the witching hour descends? I really don't know, I have no idea how many people are out there in the bars trying to watch the football late at night, so I don't know how many people this affects. Midweek games are worse, 7:45pm kick off translates to a 2:45am kick off in Chiang Mai. Still, there is always somebody open, if nothing else the very small Thai bars just a few steps from home will have the football on, but usually if he walks over to the moat there's someone still open.

Anyway, probably not the appropriate place for this (I'm on a meandering roll), but forget about expats for a moment and just think about the very restricted licencing hours here in general. They really are the complete opposite of what countries enjoy pretty much everywhere else in the world, which is loosening up the regulations for availability of leisure associated things. Thailand is somewhere people come for holidays. When we think of holidays, we think of laying around, relaxing, exploring and drinking. And maybe having nookie. What that says about society is immaterial; the fact remains that most people have a few weeks of the year that they don't have to go to work and some of those people like to go to different countries to experience different cultures, food, arts and crafts. Or to get drunk cheaply, eat too much at the endless buffets and barfine a girl or two. Whatever, who am I to judge? It's very difficult explaining to visitors that they can't get a nice cold beer in the middle of a hot, lazy afternoon (unless eating at a restaurant, but I think the rules changed recently) or that whilst they might not have to get up early and be on the ball tomorrow morning, they still can't stay out after midnight. Back to your hotel. Tuck yourself in nice and snug and go to sleep. Seriously, that's what I'd rather do, but it's not what is considered normal and it certainly isn't what the majority of people come on holiday for.

The majority come for the all-you-can-eat, cheap grog and lovely ladies. I know that there are bars open after midnight, single men will always manage to find them and of course there are the naughty night clubs, but there is a gaping hole here. What I'd class as respectable couples, or friends travelling together, older, out for a memorable night of music and local beer or wine and intelligent conversation and may want to continue on in one of the excellent blues or jazz bars here in Chiang Mai. But it's midnight. You have to go to bed now. Goodnight. Law-abiding types probably wouldn't think of staying out later in case they can find somewhere open. Probably don't know such places exist, just go to bed disappointingly early. I don't think that's doing the tourism numbers much good, but it's not the tourist today that's the problem for the authorities - it's those tourists when they return home, and please believe me when I state that I'm not saying said tourists didn't have a good holiday, because it would be hard to come somewhere like Chiang Mai and not have an enjoyable time). We've all been there at work and seen them. First day back, tanned, relaxed. happy. A few good stories to make people laugh, one dodgy story (always has to be a scary story), couple of baubles for the girls on reception and 'Really, you should go; it's fantastic.' Are people saying this about Chiang Mai? Or are they saying it was great, but every night we had finish up and go back to our hotel by midnight like being back in school on a curfew.

We don't know how long these restrictions will go on for, and as I've mentioned, they really don't affect me - the only times I've been affected by it have been cases of being annoyed with myself for standing in the supermarket in the middle of the afternoon trying to work out what I'm going to use in the place of brandy in the sauce tonight because I've got the alcohol sales time wrong and can't buy what I need. (Unless I go to the little hole in the wall shop that doesn't have a clock.) But I think that these restrictions are affecting future tourism as people go home and stand around the watercooler and talk about where they've been. A lot of the places we discovered and had smashing holidays at were found by word of mouth, we can't be the only ones. In this regard I fear for Thailand as a whole.

Here in Chiang Mai a lot of tourists appear to be Chinese, and I don't know their drinking habits but sense that they are happier going to the 7/11 for a takeaway back in the room or maybe just using the hotel bar than going out on the town. Or maybe they aren't big drinkers when on holiday, I really don't know enough about their habits. Doesn't look very clever for the bars that are remaining though. I hope they manage to plod their way through. Even though I don't use these bars myself, they are an important part of expat life - not the drinking culture in itself, but the community spirit such as it is which is made up from many different area's such as clubs, sports and hobbies. And the bar scene, which is as integral a part of any expat community as golfing. Men drink. It's not so much the drinking as the company, otherwise everyone would drink at home. And it's the company, be it fellow expats, tourists or bought and paid-for female company that is the important part, which adds to the overall sense of community.

The bar scene will always survive in one form or another, but the more vibrant it is the better it is for all of us whether we are users of it or not. I understand that there are devastating problems regarding alcohol with sections of society here and it's good that the government have recognised this and are doing something about it, but I feel that what they are doing is without any merit. Education is the way to curtail the proclivities of the working classes. That and taxes. Opening the hours of availability and at the same time raising the taxes would be beneficial to everyone (apart from expats) as it could price grog out of the range of those who may become problem drinkers in the future, and put educations programs in place funded by the higher taxes everyone pays. Not that it will ever happen of course - those destined to be alcoholics priced out of the market will either distil their own or replace alcohol with yaba. There are those for whom we cannot do anything. Mental illness and circumstances entrench their position further. They will just drink until they die and all we can hope is that they find a modicum of pleasure in their lives and don't do anything to hurt anyone else. But for the rest of society, the overwhelming majority, get the education campaigns going. They work. Seriously. For the Brits Clunk Click Every Trip: Look right, look left, then look right again. I honestly can't remember the litter one but I know that there was something about taking it home. For the Aussies there's Slip, Slop Slap, and Do the right thing, Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre, Pete Repeat Drink Drive, Bloody idiot. The fantastic Beyond Blue Ads for making people see that depression is an condition just like ingrowing toenails and is a and something we could talk openly about just as we discuss toenails. All other countries would have their versions of them. They were all education campaigns that changed the way we did things. They changed the way we lived. Remember when recycling first came out? Bah, Tree-hugging Greenies. Haven't got time for that stuff. Nice box though. But over the course of a couple of years, the constant messages got through and I started putting newspapers and cardboard in the box then the campaign wore me down more and I started plastic bottles in then in the end, along with most people, I was recycling everything. It took about 3 years all up, but it was 3 years during which I was indoctrinated and therefore it was money well spent. The horror smoking campaigns may have stopped young people from starting to smoke, I hope that they have, and the education has been a huge part of the very low takeup rates amongst most young people. Skin cancer awareness in Australia is a bit scary at times, and the most successful campaigns of all were the various HIV and Aids prevention campaigns of the early 1980's. It proves that they work. Hell, they even got me to recycle. Me. By choice. But at the same time the most unsuccessful campaign is Just Say No (Drugs)and the food pyramid to teach you not to eat fat (following that dietary advice has led to thousands of morbidly obese people and is a very sad side-effect, perhaps they've agreed to change the pyramid, it obviously isn't working. so there are obviously ways to do it and ways not to do it.

However it is presented though, it has to be education and not restrictive alcohol selling times to curtail the problem.

My, I have meandered on a bit, haven't I? Too many painkillers. Wheeeeeeee!

• Like 2

What a load of rubbish.

I can even drink until 3am in several muslim countries if I fancy a night out.

Midnight curfew is for nanny states.

And my point re the cricket was more that the late night drinkers that come on the cricket tour (and their are plenty) have other Thailand options than Chiang Mai and I'm pretty certain a few of them would change destinations to avoid being treated like children.

It's been struggling to get a full quota of teams for several years now.

What a load of rubbish.

I can even drink until 3am in several muslim countries if I fancy a night out.

Midnight curfew is for nanny states.

And my point re the cricket was more that the late night drinkers that come on the cricket tour (and their are plenty) have other Thailand options than Chiang Mai and I'm pretty certain a few of them would change destinations to avoid being treated like children.

It's been struggling to get a full quota of teams for several years now.

Me talking rubbish? I've never been so insulted in my whole life.

Whilst I agree that midnight curfew is for nanny states and I recognise the irony in being able to drink late in Muslim countries, my point is that people don't cancel their holiday to Thailand merely because of midnight closing. It may annoy some people but I can't see them vowing to never come back. As we all know, the late night destinations of Pattaya and the likes still open late and any crackdown is only ever a temporary thing. The same applies to the cricket sixes, other options or not. If it's struggling to get a quota of teams I'd be surprised if late-night drinking is the cause.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

Whilst I agree that midnight curfew is for nanny states and I recognise the irony in being able to drink late in Muslim countries, my point is that people don't cancel their holiday to Thailand merely because of midnight closing. It may annoy some people but I can't see them vowing to never come back. As we all know, the late night destinations of Pattaya and the likes still open late and any crackdown is only ever a temporary thing. The same applies to the cricket sixes, other options or not. If it's struggling to get a quota of teams I'd be surprised if late-night drinking is the cause.

I doubt this particular crackdown will last long, and the Governor tends to have a world with the police that week anyway, but if they were to make this a permanent thing in Chiang Mai, I know of several teams and their travelling supporters that for sure will look at other tournaments in Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok for next year (and one that would just go somewhere else anyway).

biggrin.png