Ford's Central Locking system

Porkster

My wife's got a new Focus and we've been trying to set the doors to lock automatically when you drive off.

For the programming procedure it says exactly the same steps in the Thai manual than it does in the English manual.

Get in car

Press start button to switch on ignition

Press lock button 3 times

Press start button and to switch off ignition

Press lock button 3 times

Press start button to turn on ignition and you hear a beep signalling you're in program mode

One short press (less than 1 second) toggles Auto-lock on/off (No it doesn't!)

One long press (more than 1 second) toggles Auto-unlock on/off (yep, that works)

Can anyone spot something different to theirs if they managed to get it sorted?

Any valid info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

This sequence is aimed at a car with keyed ignition, but it's worth a look http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/autolock/

The PDF English manual I'm going by is the US one, as far as I can see (on the car) everything is the same spec except it's a left hand drive of course.

The key fobs the manual is referring to on P76 are types 1 & 2, we have type 1.

I've tried doing the program sequence in a different order but I don't know why because enabling auto-unlock worked fine?

Edited by Porkster

I've been comparing your American manual with the manual I received with my Thai car.

There are significant differences. For example: My manual doesn't mention "Ambient Lighting" in a choice of colours. Mine is red only.

And, as I said above, there is no mention of Autolock in my manual. It looks like the Thai cars don't have this feature.

My car is an "S", by the way.

I've been comparing your American manual with the manual I received with my Thai car.

There are significant differences. For example: My manual doesn't mention "Ambient Lighting" in a choice of colours. Mine is red only.

And, as I said above, there is no mention of Autolock in my manual. It looks like the Thai cars don't have this feature.

My car is an "S", by the way.

Excellent, some else on here with the same car.

My wife's is the S too; Well... The Sport+ to be anal about it... Maybe that's something else you know about?

Do they actually sell the Sport here or the Sport+ only?

It's not on the price list but is in the brochure..

I'll ask her and go through the manual with her again, but (I'm sure) she said it says "automatic lock" & "automatic unlock"... "Same your car darling"

I'd better triple check with her... Women & cars n that...

We can't change the ambient lighting colour either... I forgot about that one... Hers is Orange though.

The Active City Stop doesn't work on her car and isn't in the US manual either?

Not that I'd want it on anyway but it doesn't cut the engine when stopped at lights etc. (It is activated in the driver assist settings)

I think the problem may be that the manual you are reading is for an American Focus.

My manual is, as far as I know, for a Thai car. There is no mention of the doors automatically locking when you drive off.

Are you saying you got a hard copy English manual with yours?

I think it's weird that one half of this programming sequence works and the other one doesn't...

Macahoom, in case you didn't know...

There's another thing you can do to only open the driver's door with one unlock press and then all doors with a second unlock press... The wife likes that one [emoji106]

I think it's weird that one half of this programming sequence works and the other one doesn't...

There's another thing you can do to only open the driver's door with one unlock press and then all doors with a second unlock press... The wife likes that one [emoji106]

Yes, the Ford central locking is great for the female driver and safety. My Ecosport has I think the same system, which auto locks as you get to some low speed. I'm not sure how to throttle it off and on, better drop into the dealer and ask them. The electronics on these new Fords are pretty advanced, and honestly a bit of a pain to get used to, but once you do, many other cars electronics feel antiquated.

That double click unlock takes some getting used to, but again, is a safety feature, makes it impossible for a bad guy or car jacker to slip into the seat next to her.

• Like 1

Yes, the Ford central locking is great for the female driver and safety. My Ecosport has I think the same system, which auto locks as you get to some low speed. I'm not sure how to throttle it off and on, better drop into the dealer and ask them. The electronics on these new Fords are pretty advanced, and honestly a bit of a pain to get used to, but once you do, many other cars electronics feel antiquated.

That double click unlock takes some getting used to, but again, is a safety feature, makes it impossible for a bad guy or car jacker to slip into the seat next to her.

ecosport looks like a minivan type vehicle for moving kids? so the locks only work at low speed, what prevents accidently opening a high speed? As for the need for autolocking for bad guys, surely pushing a button to lock all doors without the aid of a computer is not too much to ask for the avg lady driver concerned about her safety?

I think the problem may be that the manual you are reading is for an American Focus.

My manual is, as far as I know, for a Thai car. There is no mention of the doors automatically locking when you drive off.

Yes - I've got a hard copy in English. Strangely, the quality of it is very poor. If I read it regularly it would fall apart very quickly. I got it from the dealer when I bought the car new, although I had to wait a few weeks for it.

The "Locks" section is quite detailed. It covers the feature that you say your wife likes. But it does not mention Autolock. It is obviously not a feature of the Thai car.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

ecosport looks like a minivan type vehicle for moving kids? so the locks only work at low speed, what prevents accidently opening a high speed? As for the need for autolocking for bad guys, surely pushing a button to lock all doors without the aid of a computer is not too much to ask for the avg lady driver concerned about her safety?

No, they auto engage, locking the doors at low speed, and stay locked until the driver either opens the door or double pushes the unlock button for passengers or rear door. This means it's also locked at high speeds. As far as bad guys, asking the average lady driver to do anything proactive is problematic, so automatic features are very welcome.

Minivan? I thought you said last year it looked like a shopping cart on wheels that couldn't win a race with a tuk tuk. tongue.png Make up your mind. biggrin.png

• Like 2

No, they auto engage, locking the doors at low speed, and stay locked until the driver either opens the door or double pushes the unlock button for passengers or rear door. This means it's also locked at high speeds. As far as bad guys, asking the average lady driver to do anything proactive is problematic, so automatic features are very welcome.

Minivan? I thought you said last year it looked like a shopping cart on wheels that couldn't win a race with a tuk tuk. tongue.png Make up your mind. biggrin.png

wow am impressed with your memory - did I really call it that? If so, I was in better form than today I guess :). The point I was getting at was locked doors so kids can open them up while driving :)

Yes - I've got a hard copy in English. Strangely, the quality of it is very poor. If I read it regularly it would fall apart very quickly. I got it from the dealer when I bought the car new, although I had to wait a few weeks for it.

The "Locks" section is quite detailed. It covers the feature that you say your wife likes. But it does not mention Autolock. It is obviously not a feature of the Thai car.

Well I can't argue with that can I then :)

But I will be down Ford tomorrow asking Khun Fon why she lied and said there's no English manual ! Because it's to easy to lie...

So you say it's pretty clear that the autolock isn't on this car...?

I'm determined to get this simple feature enabled... If the car doesn't have it now, I've been told it can be programmed by any Ford mechanic (I think they call them fitters these days).

It CAN be done to ANY ford in the word no matter where it's built.... Apparently... Which this space ;)

Someone always knows someone and a mate of my sister works at Ford and she said definitely...

I'm gonna get this sorted

Edited by Porkster

wow am impressed with your memory - did I really call it that? If so, I was in better form than today I guess :). The point I was getting at was locked doors so kids can open them up while driving :)

Childlocks

Well I can't argue with that can I then :)

But I will be down Ford tomorrow asking Khun Fon why she lied and said there's no English manual ! Because it's to easy to lie...

I'm determined to get this simple feature enabled... If the car doesn't have it now, I've been told it can be programmed by any Ford mechanic (I think they call them fitters these days).

It CAN be done to ANY Ford in the world no matter where it's built.... Apparently...

Someone always knows someone and a mate of my sister works at Ford and she said definitely...

Well I can't argue with that can I then smile.png

It CAN be done to ANY ford in the word no matter where it's built.... Apparently... Which this space wink.png

This may help when you question Khun Fun about the English manual:

I got it from the Phuket Ford dealer.

The manual looks to me like it has been semi-professionally copied. The printing is not of a quality you would expect from a Ford manual. And I think I said earlier that it is not very well put together - the pages are already starting to fall out; the whole thing will eventually fall apart.

On the first page it says: Part number: 20120719134705

Hope this helps.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1