Whats Rayong Like

thaijamie

i going down to rayong to have a look around in october . wife (thai) doesn't want to stay pattaya. are there enough shops,big c etc , where' s the busy beaches , if any , would you live there

thanks in advance

Rayong is pretty huge it has everything , Big C on the by pass, (Highway 36) Lotus in town , bit cheaper than Pattaya. All sorts of other shops, bus station to Bangkok.

Very busy and chaotic in Rayong not very busy on beaches outside I have been to.

But very short on English communication!

I have bought down there if you want info on properties P.M. me.

Edited by fisherd3

I had a good time in Rayong. Spent a few days there regularly for a a number of months.

Has a bit of everything a town should have. I personally only bumped into one or two expats. With the idea there was but a scattering.

that was years ago though.

Rayong is a big industrial town, car factories and oil refineries.

There is a Tesco’s on the way into town from the west.

The sea front is in 2 halves divided by the river. The western beach is a bit weird with a lot of fish drying establishments. It also has the Kanary Condos which used to have one of the best lunch-time buffets I’ve ever had anywhere in the world (200baht!). At the east end on the banks of the estuary is a really nice seafood restaurant.

The second easterly beach has many resorts aimed at the Thai week-end market. At the end of the beach is a cute nature reserve overlooking a beautiful little bay and over the water to Koh Samet. Follow the road along and you come to Rayong Resort a very upmarket affair mostly Japanese clientele. Next along is Ban Phe where the passenger ferries leave for Koh Samet.

I have never come across a big expat community there.

Before you give up on Pattaya, I hope your wife understands that there are many places other then between Beach Rd and Third Rd in the Pattaya area. There are some very nice developments in Jomtien on either side of Suk. Also some in the Siam CC area.

It is pretty easy to live in Pattaya without the [sex]tourism in your face...

TH

Edited by thaihome

Rayong sucks. There is one good point though, when we enter the town I know I only have a half hour left on my stinking visa run. Which also sucks.

And what border is 30 minutes from the entrance (?) to Rayong? Maybe you are confusing this with Chanthaburi, which is about 75km further west?

TH

Go for Ban Chang! Quiet place with a sizeable expat community, some Farang food in Restaurants and nice Seafood at the beach. But watch out for "the dark side", as this is possibly the reason why your wife wants to move you out of Pattaya...

Real downside: Next supermarket is in Pattaya, going to Rayong is not worth the effort as the supermarkets have almost no Farang stuff available.

I moved to Pattaya after living four years in BC and live here happily married ever after...

• 1 month later...
Got a mate just moved to Bangchang and he tells me the shopping sucks in Rayong. Cant buy Farlang food at Lotus so he comes into Pattaya once a week to buy at Foodland. Hope that helps.

True, Rayong sucks. I work in Map Ta Phut Ind. Estate and I stay with my Thai wife in Pattaya. Better drive 45 - 60 minutes in the morning.

Lotus in Rayong is horrible, not much farang stuff, same refers to Big C. If one mind transportation time, look for housing around Maprachan Lake or Nongplalai, both with easy access to the 36 Motorway. However we got a bit bored around Maprachan and now move to Pratumnak.

After all, as farang, I would not move down to Rayong or Baan Chang. However, rental price are much cheaper down there, however mostly Thai quality housing.

Cheers

Moo9

I have lived in Ban Chang, near Rayong, for the past two years. The only thing I feel I am missing out on is a good gym and other sporting facilities. I am not sure how many people that would effect. Otherwise everything is good here. We shop between Rayong and Pattaya, probably going in to Pattaya once every week or so. Is there really that much expat food that you need to have on a daily basis? My wife gets most of our food stuffs in the market in Ban Chang.

There is a bar strip here with a decent expat community (although I’m not part of it). The beaches are not bad with some good food on the beaches.

As I say I do miss a good gym and a game of squash or badminton. However I use a simple gym in Rayong and am trying out a new badminton club on Wednesday.

Plus the ferry to Koh Samet is very close by. Samet is an inexpensive get away, and a great spot. Koh Chang is a couple of hours up the road and is also very nice. Quite good for diving.

Edited by Richb2004v2

Well my vote is for Ban Chang :D and there is a very goog gym there at the Purimas hotel and squash at my condo not that I have ever used either!

I do use the bars on the strip they must offer the best value in thailand :o from realy good food (offshore) to exelant music /and host Martin at the wherehouse .

I used to live in Ban Chang for almost four years. Now living in Pattaya and regret not having made that move earlier!

The vicinity to Carrefour, Foodland and Big C makes life much more convenient. Just missing Martin and his video collection! Ban Chang: say hello to him! :o

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Rayong area please? The missus and I fancy a weekend away from BKK and we've kind of done Pattaya to death. We thought we might try Rayong for something a bit different. Would like a decent beach with plenty of food available. Somewhere reasonably close to town for the evening would be helpful. Budget not a problem ......

Thanx muchies!

CC

I used to live in Ban Chang for almost four years. Now living in Pattaya and regret not having made that move earlier!

The vicinity to Carrefour, Foodland and Big C makes life much more convenient. Just missing Martin and his video collection! Ban Chang: say hello to him! :o

With the arival of Tesco couldnt we tempt you back into the fold?

Unfortunatly mrs Ban Chang wants the kids to go to school in England so im stuck in the UK now ! but I will pass on your regards to Martin at easter when im back for a couple of weeks:D

I think the gentleman maybe wants to send the wife to rayong and himself to Pattaya?

yes i would happily live in pattaya but the wife knows me to well lol,thanks all for the info

Try Bang Saray, only 20 minutes from Pattaya and close to the provincial border with Rayong. It is a typical Thai fishing village surrounded by very pleasant countryside with lots of rolling hills. No bars for your wife to worry about, but a good and growing expat community. It is a very nice spot and the Tesco Lotus in South Pattaya is just over 10 minutes away by car (around 15 kms).

Before buying any land in Rayong check out the air/water quality. I have read some reports and posts here on TV that the air is not healthy and people even got sick.

There is a lot of industry and regulations are not that strict in Thailand.

If you have kids be extra carefull because they are more vulnerable.

The gym there is pretty crappy to be honest, as are most hotel gyms in Thailand. Well the cheaper ones anyway.

The Squash court is not bad, except the big steel door handle is on the inside of the court, which makes it extremely dangerous to play squash (typically Thai). The wall is crumbling too. But I did used to have a knock around there for a while with my wife, until they said the bank had taken over the hotel and we couldn't use it any more. It was ok for a while though.

The food in the 'offshore' is excellent. Fantastic fish and chips, and a great breakfast.

I never noticed anything about the air: no strange smells or coloured clouds. Then again I am from the North East of England, so probably wouldn't notice.

Well my vote is for Ban Chang :D and there is a very goog gym there at the Purimas hotel and squash at my condo not that I have ever used either!

I do use the bars on the strip they must offer the best value in thailand :o from realy good food (offshore) to exelant music /and host Martin at the wherehouse .

Edited by Richb2004v2

I never noticed anything about the air: no strange smells or coloured clouds. Then again I am from the North East of England, so probably wouldn't notice.

I looked for the article. I found it here High pollution in Rayong

I visited the place a few months ago. It looked nice and the sea/beach is good enough. Although dangerous on some spots having rip currents.

My son who had whooping cough before reacted very strong to the air, this was not the case even in Bangkok. In other places like Hua Hin or Samui he had no problems.

It can be a coincidence but after reading that article i feel the air quality had something to do with it.

Don't think it's a big problem with the air quality in Banchang if you don't live right next to the industries in Maphtaput. I live on the west side of Banchang next to Utapao airport and the wind here is comming from southwest (the sea) 90% of the time. I moved here from Pattaya and find the air much cleaner here then in Pattaya.

I think the gentleman maybe wants to send the wife to rayong and himself to Pattaya?

yes i would happily live in pattaya but the wife knows me to well lol,thanks all for the info

Ever thought of changing the missus for a more understanding and considerate one..? :o

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Rayong area please? The missus and I fancy a weekend away from BKK and we've kind of done Pattaya to death. We thought we might try Rayong for something a bit different. Would like a decent beach with plenty of food available. Somewhere reasonably close to town for the evening would be helpful. Budget not a problem ......

Thanx muchies!

CC

Try Kanary Bay. Not much of a beach, but right across from water. There are a couple of other resorts right in the area as well. Number of good Thai restaurants nearby, as well as beach type seafood places up the road. A couple of good Thai supper clubs with bands as well. Have spent several weekends there and it can be very relaxing. I admit it has been probably 3 years since we were there.

TH

Thanx muchies!

CC

Try Kanary Bay. Not much of a beach, but right across from water. There are a couple of other resorts right in the area as well. Number of good Thai restaurants nearby, as well as beach type seafood places up the road. A couple of good Thai supper clubs with bands as well. Have spent several weekends there and it can be very relaxing. I admit it has been probably 3 years since we were there.

TH

Kanary Bay is the best resort around Rayong, however the beach is nothing. During the week, the occupancy of the hotel is very high. About 70 % of their rooms are rented long time to expats who work around Rayong. It's a nice place, I stayed there many times.

Moo9