How do you heat your home in Thailand?

You can install Airconditioners that are of the heat pump variety, the same as in Europe or Libya. LG and others make them.

The obvious and simple option which works. Have been looking everywhere KK, Kalasin, Roi Et and even BKK with the same reply of "no have Thailand". Frustrating.

There have been a couple of threads on reverse-cycle aircons, have a search IIRC they are available but limited in manufacturer.

Local Tesco had these a while back, 10 minutes on full will drive you out of the bedroom, sweating.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/wl44001-warmlite-2000w-fan-heater-thermo/386-1767.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=386-1767

Bought similar heaters from EU with me.

They melted the cheap electric extension cords, multiple plugs

and made the wall plug ins weak. wink.png

Stayed in Chayaphum for decade at the Phukiau hills.

Cool nights had 12 - 16 C. Not many of those, but my GF had only Eternit panels walls.

Now in Udon Thanis countryside, the house is a bit more solid, but the heaters still good usable.

My boys like them when they warm up, before the school bus (6:20 AM) comes. thumbsup.gif

I never hear my home here in Thailand I can handle the coldness , because I come from the alps!

yes right: "What do you do when it gets 14 degree?" "I take off the clothes and enjoy the warm weather".

I am also from the alps.....

OP question was not that stupid...

Last year we moved from Nonthaburi to uphill Khao Yai/Thap Lan national parks, Na Dee district.

Early this January, temperatures dropped to a shocking eight degrees celsius for a least two weeks ; and even today, around 7am, there was a mere fifteen...

As buildings are still under construction: in the evenings, we re-heated ourservelves with baked comfort foods while leaving the oven's door opened ;

and at nights, a comfy goose feather duvet was doing more than the trick.

For next "winter": a wood open fire and a chimney is definitely in the plans for our inside/out garden living room.

PS: our Persian cats seem to be the happiest with that cold weather and permanent fresh breeze... smile.png

Reflective insulation is generally used to stop the heat getting in in summer, (a good installation is good for over 90% + blocking); however, it will also have an effect to stop the heat radiating from your house during winter. This will include the heat from computers, cooking, TV, etc etc etc, - and every degree saved is one more you don't have to heat. Keep the doors & windows shut, house will be significantly warmer than no insulation.

As you are still building, lazyg, it is a must to install now - reflective is also the cheapest. Double layer, tight one on top, loose one under, makes an air gap for better performance.

Much easier to install now than after it's built.

When it gets way down to 21c here and all the Thais are freezing with chattering teeth and hard nipples, I close the doors and windows.

I really see no need for a heater in Thailand...ever!

Because you are an American, hard as <deleted>....oops, damn, sorry, now I've gone and woken a sleeping giant....ok ok, give it to me...both barrels!....55555

When it gets way down to 21c here and all the Thais are freezing with chattering teeth and hard nipples, I close the doors and windows.

I really see no need for a heater in Thailand...ever!

Because you are an American, hard as <deleted>....oops, damn, sorry, now I've gone and woken a sleeping giant....ok ok, give it to me...both barrels!....55555

As hard as a nipple in a cold morning?

Is that what you mean?

Still sleeping Nigel...no barrels for that one.

Seems you are looking for someone to irritate today.

You are better than that at American bashing aren't you?

Did I claim to be American in my post?

No.

Have a good morning my agreeable friend.

Has anyone actually had a wood stove made?

I'd like smallest possible version I think it doesn't need much here.

Was thinking of a converted gas cylinder but has anyone ordered heatproof glass.....it's nice to see the flame?

Alternatively if a small fireplace is built in does one need special firebricks or are normal OK?

Was thinking of no real chimney but an external pipe like a stovepipe......lose a bit of heat but should be plenty anyway it's not like we're in Norway.

Something like this?

post-120824-0-72536500-1423803488_thumb.

Edited by cheeryble

You can install Airconditioners that are of the heat pump variety, the same as in Europe or Libya. LG and others make them.

The obvious and simple option which works. Have been looking everywhere KK, Kalasin, Roi Et and even BKK with the same reply of "no have Thailand". Frustrating.

Reverse Cycle AC's do exist in TH, but the prices scare most people away... Daikin's Urusara7 range for example - 45K Baht for 12K BTU....

Edited by IMHO