True or not? UK state pension question.

The way I remember it, the Thai embassy in London started using those requirements for a single-entry non-O visa to travel to Thailand where you can then apply for one-year retirement extensions. Or perhaps the embassy issues a multiple-entry non O visa; I don't remember the full details.

You will still need to be in the UK to obtain such a visa and go back to the UK to get the next one and on and on, would you not?

you can change your non o to extension of stay subject to certain criteria,and if elegible juet renew ext of stay every year at immigration.

You will still need to be in the UK to obtain such a visa and go back to the UK to get the next one and on and on, would you not?

Yes, you would, if you don't go the extension route.

The following is taken from the embassy's website:

Types of Visas

Non-Immigrant Visa
(for purpose of business, study, conference, seminar, film production, journalism, job volunteer, for person accompanying Thai spouse, for persons over 50 years of age and pension earners)
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Non-Immigrant Type O
Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner

To the OP (Original Poster) - not quite.

As I remember it, you had to be in receipt of a UK state pension to get a particular visa (non imm OA?) from the Thai embassy in London.

To stay in Thailand long term you need a letter from the British Embassy showing you have an income of, at least, 65,000 baht per month (or a letter from your Thai bank showing at least 800,000 baht in your account).

Just because you get a state pension from the UK (or anywhere else) does not let you stay in Thailand.

There is no "pensioner deal", just the normal immigration requirements.

Seems different requirements for different things have got jumbled up somewhere.

Ah! Maestro has it!

The state pension was required for a non-o immigrant visa from London, if you didn't have any other reason for one.

It lets you 'visit' Thailand (for 90 days at a time) not 'stay' here.

Edited by Ginkas
  • Like 1

Many people stay here using this method, multi entry not o visa from embassy in london, border run every 90 days will give 15 months if timed correctly then back to uk, get a new visa and come back for another 15 months with border runs every 90 days. Requirements over 65 with proof of UK state pension.

• Like 1

Many people stay here using this method, multi entry not o visa from embassy in london, border run every 90 days will give 15 months if timed correctly then back to uk, get a new visa and come back for another 15 months with border runs every 90 days. Requirements over 65 with proof of UK state pension.

Would probably be worth your while staying in the UK for a sufficiently long period before applying for another non-O visa in order to qualify for the annual State Pension increases you would otherwise miss out on!

Would probably be worth your while staying in the UK for a sufficiently long period before applying for another non-O visa in order to qualify for the annual State Pension increases you would otherwise miss out on!

Not me, not old enough yet. and not worth it in my opinion, too cheap to live here compared to ripp off uk!!

This actually suits me because I am going back to the UK once a year. Would you be kind enough to elaborate here please? - what visa to apply for in London?

This actually suits me because I am going back to the UK once a year. Would you be kind enough to elaborate here please? - what visa to apply for in London?

You would apply for a multiple entry non-o visa,

I think you will have to apply at one of the consulates in the UK in person. The embassy normally only does OA visas.

You would apply for a multiple entry non-o visa,

I think you will have to apply at one of the consulates in the UK in person. The embassy normally only does OA visas.

You can now only apply at the Thai Embassy in London, it can be done via post, my old mates do it every year. Used to be able to use the consulates but cannot now.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

My friend in receipt of the State pension,got a single O visa from the Embassy in London. No need for any financials needed,just proof he was an OAP.

I believe he could have got a multiple O but preferred to get an extension here and 90 day reporting rather than border runs.

This is all well and good for those with sufficient income 65000 or 800000 in the bank, unfortunately my mates can due neither but want to live out their lives here, so have no choice.

Understood,but that way they could get almost 15 months before having to go home and getting another O Visa without requiring proof of income or saving.

But that is assuming they can afford the regular trips,a Years ticket(which is,a believe the maximum allowed)is about £200 more than a a normal return flight from the UK.

Also there's the combination method,mixed income(gross)and saving's totalling 800,000.

I've friends the same,almost trapped in poverty at home,a real shame.

This is all well and good for those with sufficient income 65000 or 800000 in the bank, unfortunately my mates can due neither but want to live out their lives here, so have no choice.

Understood,but that way they could get almost 15 months before having to go home and getting another O Visa without requiring proof of income or saving.

But that is assuming they can afford the regular trips,a Years ticket(which is,a believe the maximum allowed)is about £200 more than a a normal return flight from the UK.

Also there's the combination method,mixed income(gross)and saving's totalling 800,000.

I've friends the same,almost trapped in poverty at home,a real shame.

All my friends buy return tickets here, so not a problem and as far as they are concerned their quality of life here far exceeds anything they could do in the UK. Thay are very happy and do have to watch their spending but have a good life.

• Like 1

Correct....however

Pattaya immigration has not enforced the above regulation for quite some time provided you go through one of their favoured agents for a fee. As far as I know, this route is still available.

whistling.gif I'm an American, so I don't know or follow the latest gyrations on U.K. state pensions.

But yes, i understand that IF you can qualify for a multi-entry one year Non immigrant O visa under the current U.K. rules, you can get a one year multi-entry Non o visa.

Each entry on that visa will allow you a 90 day stay in Thailand, until that one year multi-entry visa expires.

If you make your final entry jjust one day before that one year visa expires, you will get another legal 90 day stay entry stamp.

Therefore that one year multi entry visa can actually get you 15 months in Thailand legally.

And, if you can meet the Thai financial requirements of:

• 800K Thai baht equivalent in a Thai bank account
  • OR 65K Thai baht Monthly income
  • OR a combination of Bank funds and monthy income which TOTALS more than 800K Thai baht equivalent annualy
  • And you are 50 years of age or older

Then you can qualify for an annual Thaind retirement extension from your local Thai immigration (if you apply for the same and meet those requirements).

This is not something new, there are several Thousand of us (or more) who have been living here in Thailand as retiress, collecting a pension from our respective countries for some years now.

As I say, I am an American, and I came kere on a U.S. pension in 2010......apllied for a retirement extension, and have been here since October 2010 on an annual renewal of such a retirement extension.

If you can qualify for the U.K. state pension, and then can meet the Thai financial requirements for an annual extension, then you can also do the same thing.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Correct....however

Pattaya immigration has not enforced the above regulation for quite some time provided you go through one of their favoured agents for a fee. As far as I know, this route is still available.

A friend (yes really)has for years used an agent to get his retirement extension with a agent,without having any financials at all.

He checked at Immigration once and it was legal,the agent has recently closed down. Probably can't,em,give the same service as before!.

So probably only legitimate from now on.

• Like 1

MAZ23, thank you for the update. I too, know of a one elderly guy personally, who travels down from Korat every year to take advantage of this non-enforcement. I will ask his best buddy here in Pattaya what he plans to do this year.

• Like 1

MAZ23, thank you for the update. I too, know of a one elderly guy personally, who travels down from Korat every year to take advantage of this non-enforcement. I will ask his best buddy here in Pattaya what he plans to do this year.

If it helps,it was the one opposite Friendship supermarket that closed down.

Good luck to your friend!