An incredible talent, pure artistry

WarpSpeed

This guy builds replica Ferrari's from scratch without even blue prints, he uses books and other sources for his specs, they are stunning hand built repro's out of a chicken coup.

Motoramic
Watch how one man built a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO in his chicken coop

It's not one man though, it's actually 3.

Rod Tempero works out of a rickety old shed in Oamaru, New Zealand, stumbling over chickens and ducks as he hammers out sheet metal based on a hand-drawn picture on a chalkboard. This may not sound like a canvas for exquisite creations, and yet some of the world's best automotive replicas derive from here.

f1d43840-ad55-11e4-bcd0-d1dc624839ad_107

f0faef40-ad55-11e4-bce3-9f6f10125e1e_106

ef8650a0-ad55-11e4-bce3-9f6f10125e1e_103

f00bd450-ad55-11e4-b077-59521c9fa181_103

As well as others... Jaguar D-Type and XKSS replica

Tempero's barn, along with a Jaguar D-Type and XKSS replica

f1d9dd90-ad55-11e4-b2f1-db35a3aee0e8_108

There's a video on the link I couldn't post that shows the process of this Ferrari being built over 4 years.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/watch-this-new-zealander-build-a-perfect-ferrari-250-gto-replica-out-of-his-chicken-shed-153957117.html

Edited by WarpSpeed

his work has been known for decades in the classic car scene in Aust & NZ, i think originally doing Jag replicas. The last pic is of Jag D-Type monocoques

Cetainly something in the water as a few guys over there doing stunning replicas and restorations.

An NZ Jag C-type replica finished off in Aust.

post-70604-0-35920900-1423442062_thumb.j

Edited by taichiplanet
  • Like 1

Must be something in the water in NZ

First John Britten, and now these guys. Amazing work !

It is and would be with plans and specs but to do so from just pictures and books? That's also an incredible amount of research and checking, I wonder too where they are getting the new suspension pieces and such? If there's a manufacturer doing replacement parts or if they order straight from Ferrari? I don't get the sense that they are also machining all of those pieces but the report didn't cover that in depth? They aren't doing it with any sort of Japanese engines either, it's even original Ferrari, awesome..

^ Yes I mentioned that the bottom pic was Jaguar monocoques.

Edited by WarpSpeed

it used to be that they would get a donor car like the Ferrari 250GTE, but it wouldn't surprise me if they manufactured or cast their own stuff (ala The Fastest Indian).

Years ago in Sydney there were a couple of D-Type replicas made that were so good that you could swap any part with an original one (except the gearbox). i watched the guys

doing the panels (they were from the Basque region of Spain), literally belting the crap out of the flat alloy sheets to form beautiful compound curves;it was amazing to watch.

literally belting the crap out of the flat alloy sheets to form beautiful compound curves;it was amazing to watch.

They made the bodies for the Aston Martins by hand, forming the body panels over wooden dies.

Don't see that any more.

• Like 1

Well that's what this guy is doing, it's in the video on the link. The suspension parts I saw in quick clips were brand new, nothing salvaged or second hand, maybe used an original to make the new unit but that's almost as much work and cost as an original Ferrari part not to mention having to have a donor car for dis-assembly and inspection in which case they could copy all the specs but it says he did it all by books and other sources..

I believe the guy your looking for is Chris Pongpitaya AKA Chris Schones.

Chatted with him a few times, always on my to do list to go and have a face to face when in bangkok, but keep blowing it out.

Edited by LivinLOS