Chaiyaphum locals brace for evictions

webfact

Chaiyaphum locals brace for evictions
Sumalee Phophayak
The Nation

30253656-03_big.jpg
Photo by Sarayut Rittipin

Thirty-three families to be uprooted to make way for land reform scheme

BANGKOK: -- FOR VILLAGERS in a district of Chaiyaphum province, its deja vu as they are being ordered to leave their land - again. This time, the 33 families are facing eviction from their 830-rai land - some of which was acquired by them as far back as 1953 - as part of a land reform scheme imposed by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

The authorities - both forestry and security - have ordered these villagers off their land three times already. The first was in 1983, then again in 1985 and the third time in 2011. However, not everybody cooperated. In 2011, 10 villagers were arrested and are still in detention facing court trial as they pleaded not guilty over charges of encroachment. Their defence is that they have only been living and farming in the land that their parents had acquired.

Now, the NCPO Order 64/2015 has given the authorities a blanket mandate to activate land reform nationwide. The villagers in Chaiyaphum's Khon San district have been told to relocate to the Bor Kaew community in the same district, which already has to accommodate villagers displaced from Pa Khok Yao community.

Den Khamlae, the head of Khon San district residents, said his parents had acquired their land in 1953 and had been farming on it since then. "The land was already in a bad shape. There was no jungle left, and we did not fell any trees back then," he said, adding that residents in four other provinces tore down trees at that time.

"All officials have the same mentality when dealing with land-related problems. They can only think of relocating villagers, without caring for our feelings or listening to the alternatives offered by us or paying any heed to our request for leniency. This is despite the fact that we have been on this land for more than 50 years," he said. "Military officials told us to relocate to Khon Kaen's Si Chomphu district in 1983. They said they wanted the 2,800 rai area we were living on to be used for a reforestation scheme, which would involve growing eucalyptus trees," he said. "We went to Khon Kaen but the original land owners would not let us stay."

The next eviction order came in 1985, when the villagers were told to move to other areas, where they were confronted with firearms. Den said after this, many villagers returned to Khon San district and began resettling, though the number of households dropped from 252 to 33.

Things improved when Phu Kheo wildlife reserve in three neighbouring districts built its perimeter in 2000, which prevented the authorities from accusing them of encroaching on state-owned land and trying to evict them, Den explained.

Third attempt to evict

The 10 villagers were arrested during the third attempt to evict the villagers in 2011. They were charged with encroaching on Phu Sam Phaknam national forest reserve. Den said the villagers pleaded not guilty because they wanted to fight for justice, as they have evidence showing that they were living on the land even before forest reserves and national parks marked out their boundaries.

"They were never given the land they were promised, when the officials came with eviction orders. As for us, even when we return here to continue farming, the eucalyptus trees suck up all the water, which means we can only farm during the wet season. But we are ready to bear it all as we don't know where else to go," he said.

However, deputy village chief Bunmee Witthayaroj has a solution. He proposed that the 200 rai left over after the land is allocated to the 33 households, two ponds, a 50-rai communal plantation and a 3-rai learning centre be designated as a community forest under the protection of the villagers.

He said this could be done in exchange for non-transferrable ownership of the 830 rai.

"This land is our home, our family's home. It is the last place we can live on. We will not fell trees [in the 200-rai community forest]. We will live here to protect it and nurture it in an interdependent manner," he said.

The authorities have yet to respond to the proposal.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chaiyaphum-locals-brace-for-evictions-30253656.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-09

So these people think it's OK to live on the land that their parents gave to them? Regardless of the fact that their families encroached on the land on the first place. Thainess at its best

Exactly

My parents were robbers and never got caught

They taught me how to rob to

Now I am caught my excuse is my parents were robbers so it must be OK for me to do the same

So these people think it's OK to live on the land that their parents gave to them? Regardless of the fact that their families encroached on the land on the first place. Thainess at its best

Exactly

Now I am caught my excuse is my parents were robbers so it must be OK for me to do the same

Not Thaines. Shin-ness.

There are in some countries legal recognition of squatter's rights after a certain amount of time. Some countries also adhere to the concept of eminent domain where property can be taken by the state. but talking anything legal here is nonsense because the current Thai coup is not acting within any legal framework. They took over, and threw out the constitution. So talking legalese with a dictator is an academic exercise at best.

"In 2011, 10 villagers were arrested and are still in detention facing court trial as they pleaded not guilty over charges of encroachment. Their defence is that they have only been living and farming in the land that their parents had acquired."

The Thai legal system treats native Thais worse than they treat farangs. Some have been here for more than a century, but no Thai ID card, no voting rights, no statehood at all.

Even worse, the rticle says : "Things improved when Phu Kheo wildlife reserve in three neighbouring districts built its perimeter in 2000, which prevented the authorities from accusing them of encroaching on state-owned land and trying to evict them, Den explained."

This strongly implies that they are no longer in the boundaries of the National park. How is this justified? I simply cannot see it.

It is hysterically morose, and beyond tragic.ermm.gif

Edited by FangFerang

Exactly

Not Thaines. Shin-ness.

eh?

I wonder how many posters here who think these farmers should be hung-drawn & quartered for having the temerity to live on a bit of land their parents and even granparents were living on, have wives or GFs from the sticks whose parents are living on land without proper papers? I also bet they will be the first to get righteous indignation if their in-laws were told to leave. A bit like people who hate police but get on the phone crying to them if they get mugged...

• Like 1

Yeah. Uneducated peasants. Who needs em. Just shoot 'em eh?rolleyes.gif

Exactly

Were your ancestors Colonisers?

If so they certainly were land thieves , and any of their descendents living on 'colonised' lands perpetuate the robbery today