Thailand's transgender people aren’t just 'Ladyboys' anymore

webfact

The wording has nothing to do with gay rights. As such, Thailand is missing the boat here. As far as the gender identity wording, yes it is very confusing exactly what they are saying the protections will apply to, perhaps a lost in translation type thing.

Anyway be clear GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY, and sexual ORIENTATION are entirely different things.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes I agree. I too have wondered why there are so many......

I don't get it.

In a land of virtually no Social Security for the jobless...and looking at female prostitutes.... it seems like a logical solution...for the desperate, lazy or greedy.

Another two alternatives are begging or joining the Monk-hood.

Edited by Fullstop

The very tiny percentage of katoeys that go into the sex industry and then commit crimes, is not an accurate depiction of the majority at all - it's just the ones that the Pattaya (or other areas) bar-attending members of TV meet when they are too drunk to know the difference till it's too late (is all the loud bleating due to a sore bum?)... Haha!

Thailand has a very large population of the transgender group, and that also includes woman who wish to be male (aka "toms").

I sometimes wonder if a transgender male who wishes to be female, is actually not actually "gay" as such. Think about it... Mentally these people consider themselves already to be female, although inconveniently enough, they are trapped in a male body - so a desire for male company would in terms of their mental status, be perfectly normal - ignoring the hardware aspects, so to speak.

As far as the gay group is concerned, I know a number of gay people, both male and female, and I have no issue at all with them - because it really makes no difference to me what they do in bed, or who their other friends are...and why should it?

mmmm so far I agree, but what when they adopt children? These children cannot choose an are forced in an unnatural situation.
  • Like 1

The very tiny percentage of katoeys that go into the sex industry and then commit crimes, is not an accurate depiction of the majority at all - it's just the ones that the Pattaya (or other areas) bar-attending members of TV meet when they are too drunk to know the difference till it's too late (is all the loud bleating due to a sore bum?)... Haha!

Thailand has a very large population of the transgender group, and that also includes woman who wish to be male (aka "toms").

I sometimes wonder if a transgender male who wishes to be female, is actually not actually "gay" as such. Think about it... Mentally these people consider themselves already to be female, although inconveniently enough, they are trapped in a male body - so a desire for male company would in terms of their mental status, be perfectly normal - ignoring the hardware aspects, so to speak.

As far as the gay group is concerned, I know a number of gay people, both male and female, and I have no issue at all with them - because it really makes no difference to me what they do in bed, or who their other friends are...and why should it?

mmmm so far I agree, but what when they adopt children? These children cannot choose an are forced in an unnatural situation.
Huh? What about when "normal" people man and wife have children and the kids drop out of school, take and sell drugs, rob people, kill people and are just overall scumbags? So you are saying just because a straight couple had them, those children are not "unnatural"?

Come on dude, that argument is ridiculous. And how many transgender couples in Thailand adopt? Face it adoption of children is not a top priority other than mothers who take care of their children's babys while they go to Pattaya to work....

so I try to follow you ligic, because children suffer the consequences of divorce they may as well suffer from being adopted by third gender whatever couples. Should society not protect the rights if children. Dude?

There are "lady boys" working in shops, airlines, businesses all over Thailand. They are not only in sex industry by any means. Thais seem to accept this without question. It is only our western bias that finds a problem

Actually, in general Thai society transgenders are only accepted in a very limited range of professions. Generally LOW LEVEL. Plus of course entertainment and sex work. There is a severe stigma against transgenders here ... look deeper than the superficial.

• Like 1

There are "lady boys" working in shops, airlines, businesses all over Thailand. They are not only in sex industry by any means. Thais seem to accept this without question. It is only our western bias that finds a problem

Actually, in general Thai society transgenders are only accepted in a very limited range of professions. Generally LOW LEVEL. Plus of course entertainment and sex work. There is a severe stigma against transgenders here ... look deeper than the superficial.

Actually in Thailand two gay men or two lesbiens or indeed transgenders can walk the streets hand in hand and kissing and canoodling and nobody say's anything or thinks anything untwoards but the minute two heterosexuals start to kiss they all yell "not our culture! be polite ..show respect!" or things to that effect

How odd!

Huh? What about when "normal" people man and wife have children and the kids drop out of school, take and sell drugs, rob people, kill people and are just overall scumbags? So you are saying just because a straight couple had them, those children are not "unnatural"?

Come on dude, that argument is ridiculous. And how many transgender couples in Thailand adopt? Face it adoption of children is not a top priority other than mothers who take care of their children's babys while they go to Pattaya to work....

so I try to follow you ligic, because children suffer the consequences of divorce they may as well suffer from being adopted by third gender whatever couples. Should society not protect the rights if children. Dude?

I dont follow you? Rights of children? What are you saying?

The first time I saw a kathoey I was...disoriented. I've seen them, sporadically in the US, but never standing next to me on an elevated train, much less hitting on me. I told her (him? s/him?) I was hetero and not interested, but I was curious which toilet she (him? s/him?) used. No answer but a deep tenor giggle.

I don't care. I simply have no opinion about what leads people to make that decision, just as the whole motivation of gays escapes me (when I meet a handsome guy, I'm jealous -- I don't want to kiss him).

On the flip-side, I met a crazy coot of a Brit in Savannaket who announced that IS wasn't all that bad since they were "throwing gays off roofs to exterminate them". And that's a quote.

For once, apathy seems better than some bashing mindset that allows people to declare murder as a good solution for anything they don't like enough.

The clown in Savannaket was a moron. The kathoey was confusing.

I think I prefer to be confused. saai.gif

You are so ill informed.....

I dont follow you? Rights of children? What are you saying?

ok, you win...

I've known a number of ladyboys in Thailand, and without exception the have told me that they thought of themselves as girls as soon as they were old enough to know the difference. Parents of transsexuals interviewed not just here but in the West as well have all confirmed this.

Many seem eager to dismiss ladyboys as some kind of money making scam, but you only have to pay a little bit of attention to the details to know this isn't true. Everything from their choice of wallpaper for their phones to their favourite films reflect a feminine bias, things that no client (assuming they are sex workers) would ever see.

As for the supposed violence and criminality of ladyboys, one only has to read this thread to see why they might not feel very welcome or accepted. Social outcasts have far fewer options and will feel less reluctance to resort to crime.

• Like 1

From the article:

" the Thai proposal is well ahead of the Western norm, and it derives from longstanding South and Southeast Asian traditions, which predate the Western concept of “transgender” by thousands of years."

There is probably the same percentage of individuals in the Western world as there are in the East and SouthEast, who consider themselves to be, or would like to be, accepted as transgender, third sex or Kathoey, but as the comments on this forum repeatedly demonstrate, it's just too dangerous.

One of the nastier aspects of the Judeo-Christian heritage of Western Civillisation.

I totally disagree. For some reason the rate of transgenders in Thailand is massively high. I reject your thesis that it is because it is safer here for them. Other stuff is going on ... it's obvious.

Edited by Jingthing

Whatever, its their country.

Barring gay men from enteting the country and especially working with children +2.

Don't they have enough toilets and parks to pick up strangers and enough glory holes to visit at home? Why come here to exploit young men half and one third their age?

I needva shower...ugh.

Do I understand correctly that you want to discriminate against gay men? That's illegal in most countries from which TV members originate so why should it be legalised here?

I confess ive never known a country with so many.... well cant call it anything but masses of sexually confused people i guess.

Each to their own, live and let live n all that but boy theres a huge proportion in Thailand compared to anywhere else ive lived or been, open or otherwise.

Have no problem with there being a 3rd gender simply because it really does seem sometimes its 1 in 3 anyway. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if there were more transsexuals than gay in Thailand, least thats how it seems on the surface.

Id love to know the scientific reason for this. ( if there is one )

My theory, for what it's worth, is that in most cases it is more a financial reason than a scientific reason.

Thai men are a lot more feminine in appearance compared to western men, so it is easier to "make the change", but the main reason they do it is because as a ladyboy they can make a lot more money than they can washing dishes or working on a building site.

To some the lifestyle is attractive and they see it as a way to become financially independent.

I am sure there are some who just want to be ladies and don't end up working in bars. A lot of them work in the floral, clothing and wedding businesses.

When we were married in Chiang Mai the person who looked after our photos and wedding clothes was a ladyboy and she did a great job for us. My wife and I have been friends with her ever since.

I agree with Greer

Whatever, its their country.

Barring gay men from enteting the country and especially working with children +2.

Don't they have enough toilets and parks to pick up strangers and enough glory holes to visit at home? Why come here to exploit young men half and one third their age?

I needva shower...ugh.

Do I understand correctly that you want to discriminate against gay men? That's illegal in most countries from which TV members originate so why should it be legalised here?

The topic of the OP actually has nothing to do with gay rights issues. It's about transgender issue. Different.

But as usual:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81532556/