Returning to Thailand - Chiang Mai versus Pattaya?

Mcffee

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze; we leave farangland because of too many farang-related hassles; then we come here and seek out a place with the most farangs.

Many of us seek out those of a similar cultural and language background.

I don't know about you, but to me, the color of their skin is of no importance.

I understand the need for cultural affiliation, just don't understand fartangs who have no friends other than farangs.

had a neighbor in cm first thing he did after moving in was to find the closest expat bar. hung out there constantly. took a taxi from his place to the bar so he would not have to walk through the neighborhood. then to a wine bar or other farang food place for meals. back to the room with air con buzzing all night.

never once going to the local market just near by for a meal, sitting at the noodle stand or anything else thai really.

he ended moving to paris, but LA in the states was his home. he liked red wine of all things as well (terribly expensive here). did not womanize.

could not stand the guy. ended up running into him on a busy street in bangkok maybe a later after leaving cm. he was on sukhumvit headed to an expat bar. never got around to asking him why he liked thailand.

but one thing i do know, is that he is no longer able to see into my room from his yard while im training my monkey.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far no one has mentioned Bang Saray, 20 min drive south of Pattaya. Hmmm. Nice move, guys. Keep it quiet. smile.png

Had an acquaintance there but he disappeared into nowhere, lovely beach there I remember. Can't remember seeing any condominium buildings, I'm looking for a sea view condo near the beach buy/rent.

http://www.delmarepattaya.com/

There are a lot of other condos there now, but none (so far) right on the sea front. Most are a long way from the sea.

Between Pattaya and Bang Saray there are loads of sea-front condo buildings, new and old.

If you actually come here I suggest you check out Jomtien.

Chiang Mai is nice enough but too much rain and too much smog from burning fields.

Pattaya is too hot and humid for my taste, but I'll pay that price to be away from rain and smog. About the only thing that I really have to avoid here is Songkran, which is dire.

Anywhere else in Thailand would simply bore me rigid, except Bangkok which I would hate for completely different reasons.

Funny, I don't find Pattaya very humid and very hot at the same time except for a short time period annually. It could be I grew up in much more humid places. It is seriously not humid compared to Phuket when it is hot and humid, which is basically hell on earth. I don't think high humidity when cooler is really unpleasant, is it to you?

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze; we leave farangland because of too many farang-related hassles; then we come here and seek out a place with the most farangs.

Many of us seek out those of a similar cultural and language background.

I don't know about you, but to me, the color of their skin is of no importance.

I understand the need for cultural affiliation, just don't understand fartangs who have no friends other than farangs.

had a neighbor in cm first thing he did after moving in was to find the closest expat bar. hung out there constantly. took a taxi from his place to the bar so he would not have to walk through the neighborhood. then to a wine bar or other farang food place for meals. back to the room with air con buzzing all night.

never once going to the local market just near by for a meal, sitting at the noodle stand or anything else thai really.

he ended moving to paris, but LA in the states was his home. he liked red wine of all things as well (terribly expensive here). did not womanize.

could not stand the guy. ended up running into him on a busy street in bangkok maybe a later after leaving cm. he was on sukhumvit headed to an expat bar. never got around to asking him why he liked thailand.

but one thing i do know, is that he is no longer able to see into my room from his yard while im training my monkey.

Yeah, the place is full of farangs who have no Thai friends, might explain why they know so little.

So far no one has mentioned Bang Saray, 20 min drive south of Pattaya. Hmmm. Nice move, guys. Keep it quiet. smile.png

Had an acquaintance there but he disappeared into nowhere, lovely beach there I remember. Can't remember seeing any condominium buildings, I'm looking for a sea view condo near the beach buy/rent.

There are a lot of other condos there now, but none (so far) right on the sea front. Most are a long way from the sea.

Between Pattaya and Bang Saray there are loads of sea-front condo buildings, new and old.

I heard about 'temple monks' but 'lobby monks' or 'condo monks' are new to me. Convenience knows no borders biggrin.png

salesoffice.jpg

But mixing with the type of locals who see themselves as 'elite' and Russians sounds like horror to me... Prefer simple.

Edited by Mcffee

But mixing with the type of locals who see themselves as 'elite' and Russians sounds like horror to me... Prefer simple.

If there are two things you will never escape in Thailand they must be Thais who think they are "elite" and Russians. Good luck trying though. In Pattaya there is a new condo being built called "Pattaya Posh" which just about sums it all up.

The monks in DelMare would have been there for merit making at the launch as the condo has only recently broken ground. They come yearly to our building also. Most condo buildings in Thailand need all the help they can get so I would never complain.

Funny, I don't find Pattaya very humid and very hot at the same time except for a short time period annually. It could be I grew up in much more humid places. It is seriously not humid compared to Phuket when it is hot and humid, which is basically hell on earth. I don't think high humidity when cooler is really unpleasant, is it to you?

Phuket is indeed much worse than either Pattaya or Chiang Mai for weather. I dont think I have ever been there when it didnt rain at least briefly each day. It is a complete mystery to me why anyone stays there for more than a day or three.

But that aside, yes I do find Pattaya too humid much of the year. For some reason (surrounding cool deep ocean?) I always found the Philippines to be much nicer in that respect, though of course they do get more rain and typhoons.

In Europe I lived in a place that often got up to 40+ degrees in the summer but where it was generally very dry, so I suppose I just got used to that.

No big deal though as aircon solves the problem here at little expense.

I heard about 'temple monks' but 'lobby monks' or 'condo monks' are new to me. Convenience knows no borders biggrin.png

salesoffice.jpg

Apparently, there are fitness monks too. I used to frequent a little refreshment stand which was next to a cheapie hotel. There was a monk who lived there--at least he had a shaven head and wore saffron robes while doing walk-abouts daily. Interestingly, when he returned to the hotel after his walks, he would re-emerge dressed in a jogging suit and get on a bicycle and ride off.

For me Chiang Mai, is too cold, anything under 30 is too cold for me. Pattaya and Chiang Mae, have too much traffic. I would find a peaceful place by the sea somewhere between Bangkok and Ranong, if one exists.

The town of Pratchuap Khirikhan is the most peaceful & pleasant place by the sea i have found in Thailand.
I stayed there one night on my way back from Phuket last year. If I was ever to move to a seaside town that would be it.

Pattaya definitely. Consider the pride you feel when telling friends and relatives where you live.

I expect you're one of those perennial Pattaya-bashers?

I love Pattaya and have lived here for most of the last nine years.

However unfortunately what you say is largely true and is something the OP should bear in mind ohmy.png

The worst thing about living in Pattaya is telling other people where you live. Telling them you live in Naklua, Banglamung or Chonburi only goes so far.

But .. the fact that I'm still here is probably a measure of just how much I like the place nevertheless,

Edited by AbeSurd

Just don't leave then, so no worries about the telling. It's all here!

I do remember starting up an interesting conversation with an interesting traveler in Laos and it was going really well, and then he asked where I lived and I told him, and he literally pretty much walked away.

Hiso Thais of course will assume you're a loso foreign perv.

Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing

Apparently, there are fitness monks too. I used to frequent a little refreshment stand which was next to a cheapie hotel. There was a monk who lived there--at least he had a shaven head and wore saffron robes while doing walk-abouts daily. Interestingly, when he returned to the hotel after his walks, he would re-emerge dressed in a jogging suit and get on a bicycle and ride off.

Don't forget iMonks !

Surfing+Monks.jpg

Just don't leave then, so no worries about the telling. It's all here!

I do remember starting up an interesting conversation with an interesting traveler in Laos and it was going really well, and then he asked where I lived and I told him, and he literally pretty much walked away.

Hiso Thais of course will assume you're a loso foreign perv.

Oh well!

Locals who present themselves as 'hiso' are nothing but 'aso', mentally immature lowlife idiots.

Actually I AM a foreign perv but that's not the reason to consider Naklua to live.

That guy in Laos sounds like having a high horse issue with himself if he can't judge people individually. But foreign scum you eventually meet in Vientiane are always visarunners from Thailand. (something like 'most muslims are not terrorists but most terrorists are muslims') :D

For me Chiang Mai, is too cold, anything under 30 is too cold for me. Pattaya and Chiang Mae, have too much traffic. I would find a peaceful place by the sea somewhere between Bangkok and Ranong, if one exists.

The town of Pratchuap Khirikhan is the most peaceful & pleasant place by the sea i have found in Thailand.

Disagree. Couldn't sleep for the all night disco parties.

OK, I lied. But if the news gets out......

• 2 months later...

Chaing Mai is great but to live there?

Anyone who visits or lives there must patronize Juicy4u, it is a juice bar, breakfast lunch place owned and operated by an extraordinary young woman who is also the cook. Its organic and clean.

I would say tell her the good looking American w the girl from Chiang Rai says hello, but, I'm not so sure she'd remember me from all those other good looking Americans

Lived a very good life in chiang mai for several years, eventually got bored and moved on, but nothing has matched it for quality of life and affordability so far in se asia.

Not into whores or bars though, if you need that dont bother with chiang mai you wont last long there.

Part of being a man is deciding whats right for you. Whats the problem with visiting? Ask a question and you get 100 different answers, all true.

I know many friends which wanted to move up north but as they are still working and can't make 3 month holiday I advised them to find a better place to live - if you can't escape from end February to May than Chiang Mai and the whole northern region is for sure not the right choice to settle down- for all others don't forget to take advantage of early booking promotion the next hazardous burning season will come for sure nothing will change for the better here.

Good luck with your choice. If i ever move back to the LOS it will be back to Udon Thani. Unless of course it's changed since I was last there in 1972.

1972---- 2015. 43 years ! Na, nothing has changed... still the same. You'll love it.

I'm in a similar situation as you are. Chiang Mai is not only lower cost but there's less temptation to waste money at the bars. In Chiang Mai, I can find a nice studio(brand new with airconditioning) for 3,500 a month. Can't do that in Pattaya. Pattaya is a ripoff! On the other hand, Chiang Mai is a rather dull place. So pick your poison.

Spent five years living in Chiang Mai. Air is horrible, feels a bit small townish,

and nightlife is non existent. Also far away from Bangkok. Moved to Pattaya

and love it. Incredible nightlife, close to Bangkok to meet people there,

cool weather by the beach, and nice islands a bit to the south. Also Cambodia

is a hop skip and jump away. Great restaurants as well. Easy choice for

me......

A lot of people don't even want to consider Pattaya because of the sexpat rep and embarrassment about what other people will think of them for living there, including Thais. But this is outdated as current Pattaya residents know. The place has changed radically. It's a great biggish international city by the water option in Thailand or really anywhere. From my POV it's a poorer man's Miami. Not everyone likes Miami or Pattaya, but a lot of people do.

And now you can even get Cubano sandwiches here!

(Pastrami and Rye Jomtien)

Edited by Jingthing