Kerosene

junglechef

A translations would be great to help me, I was actually hoping someone might provide it along with a location where to purchase.

I want to soak my bicycle chain and rear cassette and am not looking for substitutes as I have various other products already but want to try kerosene as it leaves a coating that inhibits rusts.

There is a detailed discussion on TV Cycling in Thailand forum (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793611-chain-cleaning-solution/) if anyone wants to contribute.

It's quite an interesting thread and as usual I find there so much more to a topic then I initially imagined esp. with the all the well intended misinformation smile.png

sene
---------------English – detectedAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitianHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNorwegianNyanjaPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZuluEnglish – detected
ก๊าด
Ḱād
---------------AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitianHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZuluThai
noun
ก๊าด
kerosene
น้ำมันก๊าซ
kerosene

sene
---------------English – detectedAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitianHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNorwegianNyanjaPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZuluEnglish – detected
ก๊าด
Ḱād
---------------AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitianHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZuluThai
noun
ก๊าด
kerosene
น้ำมันก๊าซ
kerosene

Those are generic words for fuel.

พาราฟิน, paraffin, is the word used here for kerosene. In the UK they are the same thing, in the USA they are not. Its very confusing. Getting any more specific will be difficult.

A translations would be great to help me, I was actually hoping someone might provide it along with a location where to purchase.

I want to soak my bicycle chain and rear cassette and am not looking for substitutes as I have various other products already but want to try kerosene as it leaves a coating that inhibits rusts.

There is a detailed discussion on TV Cycling in Thailand forum (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793611-chain-cleaning-solution/) if anyone wants to contribute.

It's quite an interesting thread and as usual I find there so much more to a topic then I initially imagined esp. with the all the well intended misinformation smile.png

Diesel will work fine. It has slightly heavier oils in it than Kerosene but then that is what you are looking for.

sene
ก๊าด
Ḱād
noun
ก๊าด
kerosene
น้ำมันก๊าซ
kerosene

Those are generic words for fuel.

พาราฟิน, paraffin, is the word used here for kerosene. In the UK they are the same thing, in the USA they are not. Its very confusing. Getting any more specific will be difficult.

Learn something every day. The official term is Kerosene, and is used in all the refineries for storage and in laboratory testing data sheets.

As you say, the UK calls it paraffin: I'm surprised that's what the Thais call it too. Australia, NZ, PNG all call it kero, Indonesia 'minyak tanah' (earth oil).

I suppose they use this in the pressure Tilley/Aladdin lamps here.

Thanks everybody!

I bought this what say's " Nam Man Gad" at my local hardware store.

Wish I had asked my gardener as we had some to use for our torches that we light for parties etc.

Glad you found what you wanted. I know 'nam' means liquid, but do you know what 'man' and 'gad' mean?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an English/Thai/English technical dictionary?

Nam Man means Oil and Nam Man Gadd translates to (Water) Oil Gas

Oyster Sauce is Nam Man Hoy so maybe since the flavor is extracted from the shell and oil from the ground ... then again maybe not ??

Anyways it worked great on my chain, hope I don't get confused and lube with Oyster Sauce next time smile.png

Edited by junglechef

Again thanks for the help but what can you do for me now?

As the kerosene worked well after removing my chain and chainwheel and soaking them for a while it still took lots of elbow grease to remove the waxy build up from using a wax lube.

I've been advised to try turpentine as it's stronger but will need to lube after a short air dry to evaporate it off.

Anyone have any experience with it?

You could try diesel.

Make sure you use chain saw bar lube when you're cutting next, as it is designed to stay on the chain, and not fly off.

aahh! Reminds me of having to thin a tree or two on the farm, and cut and split 8 tonnes before it dries out and hardens.

The joys of cutting Aussie hardwood to keep the slow combustion stove going through the winter.

Again thanks for the help but what can you do for me now?

As the kerosene worked well after removing my chain and chainwheel and soaking them for a while it still took lots of elbow grease to remove the waxy build up from using a wax lube.

I've been advised to try turpentine as it's stronger but will need to lube after a short air dry to evaporate it off.

Anyone have any experience with it?

yes using turps to clean a chain today, 150bht 3liter tin, works well

i have a chain scrubber for my pushbike, makes it very easy and less messy

just need to find one for my mocy chain

diesel is cheaper but more oily which i dont want,

as i use a proper chain lube and dont want the diesel residue

in the chain.

saw you were saying not much experience with servicing in the other thread,

i have pdf of a bike maintenance book, its quite good, might be helpful

pm me email if you want me to send it

cheers

• 1 year later...