Lost motorbike key (Phuket) and no master... where to go?

I've lost the key to our old bike (Suzuki Step 125cc). It's an old, cheap and not really used much bike but, at the same time, I want to keep it / sell it on when we leave Thailand.

Having searched the house from top to bottom, I can only assume the key was thrown out with the rubbish!

What do I need to do? I obviously can't ride the bike anywhere and the carryboy on the back of the truck excludes taking it to a workshop. Is it likely to be an expensive job (whatever the job may be)?

What will need to be done? New ignition? I assume taking it to a Suzuki garage will be expensive!

Thanks,

Mike

If you can find the right locksmith / key guy, they can actually make on one the spot.. Didnt know it could be done until I saw it with my own eyes..

Puts the key in.. jiggled it.. Looks at the scratch marks on the key by the pins in the lock.. files.. repeats..

Buddy lost a key at a shopping center and the guy made a working new key in the time it took us to have a coffee.. Was really impressed.. I expect this needs a fairly skilled keymaker tho, probably beyond the average guy who just clips it in and cuts a blank.

The other option is to replace the lock. The new lock will come with new keys.

I did this for a friend with a Honda LS125 and, from memory, the new lock was about THB 900.

Not a hard job to do. The lock may be fixed to the bike with 'tamper proof' screws but they are easily defeated.

Is there a seat lock and does it use the same key?

• Like 1

Just go to a keymaker at any corner. These guys are pretty good in what they're doing.

Had lost my key of my Suzuki Intruder, took the lock out, brought it to the guy and left with three new keys after only 15 minutes.

That was in Sisaket/ Isaan, so I assume you'll have new keys within an blink of an eye.

Edited by lostinisaan

If you do not have experience working on bikes and the right tools removing the lock falls into the difficult category.

Problems with putting the bike on its side?

To a degree this depends on how far over you have to lean the bike to transport it. Try and keep it as near to upright as you can.

I was going to go into more detail but after re-reading your earlier posts I doubt you want to get into draining the fuel tank and removing a battery from under a locked seat to transport the bike.

@in the jungle - I can build a bicycle from a box of components in a couple of hours... the same amount of time it would take me to remove a battery from the bike! I have a big electric drill so I'm sure I can manage tamper-proof screws smile.png

We have a 4 door D-Max and 'regular' (in line with the roof of the cab) carryboy. By eye, the bike will have to be at 45 deg or more in the back, and that's assuming I can strap it at that angle.

I think the safest is simply to get someone from a local garage to come and sort it out. Annoying, but, from the sound of it, not the end of the world. We paid 8k for the bike a couple of years ago. I was worried we would get a big bill; one that makes you wonder if it's worth paying or getting rid of the bike.

The bike's only used for >1km rides to 7/11 etc. Still handy and it's worth significantly less than my bicycles so I don't mind leaving it unlocked out side of a shop.

Thanks for all replies. Guess I'm off to repair shops after work tomorrow with my best miming skills!

Edited by makecoldplayhistory

@in the jungle - I can build a bicycle from a box of components in a couple of hours... the same amount of time it would take me to remove a battery from the bike! I have a big electric drill so I'm sure I can manage tamper-proof screws smile.png

We have a 4 door D-Max and 'regular' (in line with the roof of the cab) carryboy. By eye, the bike will have to be at 45 deg or more in the back, and that's assuming I can strap it at that angle.

I think the safest is simply to get someone from a local garage to come and sort it out. Annoying, but, from the sound of it, not the end of the world. We paid 8k for the bike a couple of years ago. I was worried we would get a big bill; one that makes you wonder if it's worth paying or getting rid of the bike.

The bike's only used for >1km rides to 7/11 etc. Still handy and it's worth significantly less than my bicycles so I don't mind leaving it unlocked out side of a shop.

Thanks for all replies. Guess I'm off to repair shops after work tomorrow with my best miming skills!

Forget that to send somebody from a local garage. Just take it to one of these little keymakers, get some new keys in a few minutes and the job's done for a few baht.

If you change the ignition lock, you'll also have to change the lock to your seat. You'll be surprised how professional these guys are.

They only take a look at your lock and make the right key within minutes. Forget the garages, they also bring such bikes to such a shop.

I did that quite a few times for me, my wife and son. Never had a problem.

Forget that to send somebody from a local garage. Just take it to one of these little keymakers, get some new keys in a few minutes and the job's done for a few baht.

If you change the ignition lock, you'll also have to change the lock to your seat. You'll be surprised how professional these guys are.

They only take a look at your lock and make the right key within minutes. Forget the garages, they also bring such bikes to such a shop.

I did that quite a few times for me, my wife and son. Never had a problem.

Take the bike to keymakers?