Amid 'challenging' times, Thailand and US scale down drills

webfact

Amid 'challenging' times, Thailand and US scale down drills
Reuters
NAKHON NAYOK

NAKHON NAYOK: -- The United States said on Monday its relationship with longtime ally Thailand was going through a "challenging" period as the two sides began a major military exercise, scaled down over Washington's concerns about the junta leadership.

Cobra Gold, the largest military exercise in the Asia-Pacific, has been held annually in Thailand for more than three decades, but the United States scaled the drill back this year after sanctioning Bangkok for last year’s coup.

"We can’t deny that this period is a challenging one and has necessitated a modified Cobra Gold as Thailand manages its return to democracy," U.S. charge d’affaires Patrick Murphy Murphy said in a speech at the opening ceremony for Cobra Gold at a military academy in Nakhon Nayok, east of Bangkok.

The Thai army took control last May saying it needed to restore order after months of political unrest that killed nearly 30 people. The United States responded by freezing US$4.7 million of security-related aid and cancelling some security cooperation.

Comments by a visiting US envoy last month, including that Thailand immediately lift martial law which has been in place since May, further strained ties. Senior Thai ministers responded by telling the US not to meddle in Thailand’s political affairs.

Last week Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, a former army chief, said a general election would take place in 2016 but stopped short of giving a specific date. His military government has said martial law will remain in place indefinitely.

Washington has sent 3,600 troops for this year’s exercise, down from 4,300 last year, the US Embassy in Bangkok said in an e-mailed statement.

The exercise comes as Thailand seeks to counterbalance its ties with Washington by cozying up to regional superpower China which says it supports the Thai military government.

Ian Storey, senior fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore specializing in Asian security issues, said that cancelling the exercise could have had major security implications in the region.

"Cancelling them would have created an opportunity for Beijing to strengthen its strategic ties to Bangkok, and that is clearly something that is not in Washington’s interests in the context of US- China competition in Southeast Asia," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Amid-challenging-times-Thailand-and-US-scale-down--30253698.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-09

I think it is hilarious that my government scaled back Cobra Gold, but did nothing about the Tier 3 Human Trafficking problem. Seems a reflection of the policy they love in many ways -- a man can get sentenced to life imprisonment for Bank Robbery (if he won't give up the loot or spent it), but maiming someone so they go blind and become a paraplegic is probably 20 years, less with a good lawyer.

Weird world with lawyers in it.blink.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There was an earlier post that talked about that this was more of a humanitarian aid practice for future national disasters.

China's role is not combative , they will practice national disasters while the US and allies will practice wars, with the possibility that the fictitious enemy is China.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There was an earlier post that talked about that this was more of a humanitarian aid practice for future national disasters.

China's role is not combative , they will practice national disasters while the US and allies will practice wars, with the possibility that the fictitious enemy is China.

No war games of note this year. The focus is on command and control, as well as disaster relief /humanitarian relief.

Whilst the US and allies would probably like to tell Thailand to shove it, the gap slowly being filled by adventurous China would not be a positive for the South East Asia area and Thailand's neighbours might get a feeling that ASEAN is indeed getting to close for comfort.coffee1.gif

The article, not surprisingly, doesn't mention that Cobra Gold goes in 2 year cycles. Even numbered years tend to be larger and have more in the way of military exercises.

I missed the kick-off this morning as I had duties near Khao Yai

Seeing to a wild, robust, on-heat, car-attacking, elephantic maniac per chance? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The article, not surprisingly, doesn't mention that Cobra Gold goes in 2 year cycles. Even numbered years tend to be larger and have more in the way of military exercises.

I missed the kick-off this morning as I had duties near Khao Yai

Seeing to a wild, robust, on-heat, car-attacking, elephantic maniac per chance? thumbsup.gif

Nope meeting with the training cadre of some municipal officers. I would rather deal with the pachyderm

Comments by a visiting US envoy last month, including that Thailand immediately lift martial law which has been in place since May, further strained ties. Senior Thai ministers responded by telling the US not to meddle in Thailand’s political affairs.

Load of BS, not at all what was said. More pot stirring.

• Like 1

Load of BS, not at all what was said. More pot stirring.

Good point!

US envoy wants martial law lifted and Thai ministers are angry....yes that isn't a story. There is some big other disagreement and this is the distraction.

For China it's a "natural" disaster when civilians protest the government.

For China it's a "natural" disaster when people practice their faith openly.

For China it's a "natural" disaster when people attempt freedom of expression.

So far, Thailand is 2 out 3 with China.

• Like 1

You never know what is going to happen here. I personally do not spend any money here other than basic living expense. When I first got here a few years ago It was during the last military take over. Not sure I want to spend my last years going threw this year in year out.

Getting a little old. And I do not see an end to it?

By the "logic" of my country's state department...Germany in 1933 would be more acceptable than Thailand since Germany was a democracy when Hitler came to power.

Everything's relative. Compared to democracy in Thailand last year, their military seems to be doing better.

• Like 2

By the "logic" of my country's state department...Germany in 1933 would be more acceptable than Thailand since Germany was a democracy when Hitler came to power.

Everything's relative. Compared to democracy in Thailand last year, their military seems to be doing better.

The states have painted them selves into a corner. They have no choice in the matter. They should have just shut up and let Thailand run Thailand. Things are far more peaceful here doing it with Marshal law than the way the previous government ran it. There policy both when they were in power and not in power made for some very unsafe areas here. Even at that people were for the most part safer on Thailand streets than American ones and now they are even more safe. You bet the States is unhappy with Thailand showing them how to make their streets safe.

I think the states fear that Thailand is going to come up with a far better government than they have and so they wish to derail it.

Remember when Palestine had an election and they refused to recognize it.

Hitler has his SS and Gestapo, and Thaksin his Red Shirt (with Black Shirt hidden within) and his DSI.

The states have painted them selves into a corner. They have no choice in the matter. They should have just shut up and let Thailand run Thailand. Things are far more peaceful here doing it with Marshal law than the way the previous government ran it. There policy both when they were in power and not in power made for some very unsafe areas here. Even at that people were for the most part safer on Thailand streets than American ones and now they are even more safe. You bet the States is unhappy with Thailand showing them how to make their streets safe.

I think the states fear that Thailand is going to come up with a far better government than they have and so they wish to derail it.

Remember when Palestine had an election and they refused to recognize it.

A very naive view.

How about, the USA knows that if they don't push a bit here and there, the junta might not just get a little too comfy and take up semi permenanct residence? In which case, the situation is that the civilian USA govt has far more pull with civilian politicians to get them to move they way they like, whereas this stupid junta keeps giving everyone "come hither" eyes and is basically only surviving because it keeps threatening all and sundry with re-education.

The USA isnt stupid the only LONG TERM solution is a civilian government.

For China it's a "natural" disaster when civilians protest the government.

For China it's a "natural" disaster when people practice their faith openly.

For China it's a "natural" disaster when people attempt freedom of expression.

So far, Thailand is 2 out 3 with China.

Wrong on all 3 counts