No extensions rule at Penang still apply? A complex question..

Penang used to have a rule that they would give three single entries in one year as long as you did not get any 30 day extensions in Thailand. Now they have a new set of rules and are only giving 3 single entries maximum per passport even if some the entries came from another consulate. In other words you got a double entry in venntienne and a single entry in Hong Kong you will be out of luck in Pennanng unless you

1. Go back to your home country or

2. Get a new passport.

Well I got a new passport with one single entry visa in it so I should be able to get another single entry in Penang but I'm now wanting to get a 30 day extension in Chiangmai (to avoid arriving in Penang during Chinese New Year which can be a logistical nightmare ) and which by the previous rules of Penang would disqualify you for another visa but I am hoping by reason of simple logic that the no extension rule would no longer apply now that they are so stingy about any visa at all. So my question is did anyone in the recent past get a tourist visa In Penang after extending a previous tourist visa? I love Penang and would like to go back there but would hate to waste a trip without getting a visa at this time.