Long-stay tourism drive aimed at Japanese

webfact

Long-stay tourism drive aimed at Japanese
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Ministry has initiated a plan to promote long-stay tourism by focusing on Japanese tourists one of Thailand's biggest inbound markets, said Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul yesterday.

She was speaking after meeting with Long Stay Foundation chairman Ryuji Funayama, who revealed that more than 1.2 million Japanese were long-stay tourists worldwide, a figure expected to grow in the near future. Roughly 4,000 out of the 60,000 long-stay Japanese tourist in Thailand resided in Chiang Mai.

Kobkarn said that she planned to meet with the Board of Investment to promote long-stay tourism.

She said the strategy was aimed at boosting the country's competitiveness against Malaysia, which had clear tourism industry policies.

Kobkarn also referred to PM Prayut Chan-o-cha recent trip to Tokyo, saying it appeared to have had a positive impact on Thai tourism. She said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe expressed confidence in Thai politics and tourism, which would encourage Japanese to visit Thailand in 2015.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Long-stay-tourism-drive-aimed-at-Japanese-30253950.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-13

Maybe it will offset losses -- the Japanese tourist, in my limited experience, is not tight-fisted about money. A Japanese man I met in Kanchanaburi came to the Jolly Frog at my recommendation, and bought dinner and drinks for my party of eight. In beautiful Oz, a team from Toyota I met on a head boat went fishing with us strangers, brought saki and sushi making gear, and then invited the whole boat for dinner afterwards.thumbsup.gif

"She said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe expressed confidence in Thai politics"

That's not what he implied a few days ago is it?

"She said the strategy was aimed at boosting the country's competitiveness against Malaysia, which had clear tourism industry policies."

So, is she saying that Thailand doesn't have such clear tourism policies? Maybe this is why we get a new announcement every couple of days.

Ok and what about the rest of us from the west? We are not 'quality' enough?

Not that the Japanese aren't of course, awesome people!

I understand in one way but I am a Brit and I have never seen a tattooed beer swilling load mouthed council estate loat from Japan ever. Bring it on. More Japanese please, wonderful people. And a 15 day stamp for the Brits that turn up at BKK airport spending there hard earned welfare.

Believe me they do exist, they are not as common and are usually kept to the confines of chimpira or Yakuza groups. The Japanese version makes their British counterpart look positively tame by comparison.

Why should any long-stay drive by the government be restricted to residents of a particular country. When I convert my Dollars to Baht, don't they boost the Thai economy as much as the Yen that are converted to Baht? I'm getting a whiff of racism.

------------------------------

I wouldn't pay that much attention to prees releases from the Tourist Authority of Thaiand.

They are renounded for their monthly "announcements' full of "Male Cow Fecal Matierial".

Great news, bargirls will be ecstatic.

No one else pays triple the price for 1/3 of the time, while eating mama noodles from 7-11 on daily basisbiggrin.png

Yup, as a few have said to be, small dongles and big wallets........lovely jubbly you know it makes sense.

60,000 long stay Japanese in Thailand, hmmm.

Can anyone define long stay, as refere?nced above, please

The number seems to be correct if you define 'long stay' as the wasted time you spend at the airport getting through immigration.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 2

A 50 % fall of the Yen versus the THB may make their job a lot harder

It might, Paddy, but the Yen has only fallen 15% against the Baht in the last year. There has been no 50% fall, unless you are talking about the end of WW2 or similar.