Retired with 1500usd month - recommended max. condo rent?

Mcffee

this guys retired and he cant figure out how much he can afford in rent?

just checking if i read the question right

has he lived in thailand before? if not, he's flying right into bkk and getting a mediocre guest house or motel room. searching for a cheap decent apt in bkk is not easy first time over in my experience esp with the heat, not knowing your way around etc. even more unlikely he will go native right away anf find something decent.

more likely he will become stuck in a one room cell sweating and staring at the ceiling fan between bouts of drinking and bargirls.

there are always exceptions though smile.png

Why would you think other people would follow the same path as you.Besides it would have to be a tall apartment to get a sea view.

Some are talking,Without reading.He is retired on 1500 usd a month.He does not use tourist visa.He gets a retirement visa.He goes immigration evey 3 months for as long as he stays there.I assume, if he is retired,He is over 50 years of age.He can apply for his retirement visa at HULL LIVERPOOL or LONDON before he lives in thailand.And they will also give him advice on terms of his visa.If i was in his possition,I would go pattaya.I have lived on and off all over thailand for many years.The new plaza is the best place in thailand,When you concider price of beer and food and many bars that are together..Thailand has become so expencive now . Even Udon thani is now expencive.And got ripped off big time by a bar.But i am wise.I paid the bill.This i have seen all over thailand .but never in the new plaza.Only drunks saying they had one beer less.At his age ,and on his budget.he is most proberbly safest in pattaya.As long as he becomes street wise.Of which the other expats,will put him right.

THIS is soooooooooooooooo in-korrect!

After hearing all the horror stories/issues with Thai bargirls, why would you want ever to deal with them?!? especially with minimum income, avoid them altogether whether you have money or not

I'm going to Thai in a few months, I pray to God to ever not get seduced to go to those places

The bargirls are not the problem. ITS the goofy men who beg to have their face punched in.

Moderation-as is key in everything- is the way to go.

• Like 1

Some are talking,Without reading.He is retired on 1500 usd a month.He does not use tourist visa.He gets a retirement visa.He goes immigration evey 3 months for as long as he stays there.I assume, if he is retired,He is over 50 years of age.He can apply for his retirement visa at HULL LIVERPOOL or LONDON before he lives in thailand.And they will also give him advice on terms of his visa.If i was in his possition,I would go pattaya.I have lived on and off all over thailand for many years.The new plaza is the best place in thailand,When you concider price of beer and food and many bars that are together..Thailand has become so expencive now . Even Udon thani is now expencive.And got ripped off big time by a bar.But i am wise.I paid the bill.This i have seen all over thailand .but never in the new plaza.Only drunks saying they had one beer less.At his age ,and on his budget.he is most proberbly safest in pattaya.As long as he becomes street wise.Of which the other expats,will put him right.

Eh - where did he say he would be using a retirement visa?

At the top of the page.States that he,s retired,and his budget is 1500usd,So i assume he is spending his retirement in thailand,Not a tourist. Or on an o visa.were the max is 15 months.

After hearing all the horror stories/issues with Thai bargirls, why would you want ever to deal with them?!? especially with minimum income, avoid them altogether whether you have money or not

I'm going to Thai in a few months, I pray to God to ever not get seduced to go to those places

Bargirls are ok. Moderation is the key.

The horror stories you hear about are mostly men asking for it.

• Like 1

Only you can decide what you should pay for rent. I am on a similar budget to you and pay 17,000 bht for an 1 bedroom apartment right in the heart of Central Pattaya, with a kitchen. The complex has a pool and I am happy to spend a normal life mostly at home, preparing my own meals like I would back in Australia, but something similar on the Gold Coast would take my whole pension. I know I can get cheaper and newer at but would never have the "I am at home feeling" that I have now. At my age I don't want to just survive - a comfortable well located home is well worth the money to me.

I would forget about Pattaya, Bangkok etc and look to places like Udon Thani, Kanchanaburi etc, where there are a few expats, and a cheaper Thai like lifestyle with-out the temptations of the nightlife...

I'm very selective with bars, girls etc. had 2 myself (bars, girls add a zero) in ChiangMai. Beside this, I have a new girlfriend might try make her run some small business like pancakes/cupcakes/fries or whatever that could pay the rent, although she's busy with her bachelor hates the idea of being a shopkeeper hahaha.

---------------------------------

So we learned op has been heavily involved in bargirl. Even owned 2 bars. Ww know what kind of new gf he has.

What makes op think he can just make her run a business and make money. Chances are he will need to susidize this business.

All sensible ideas go out the window when this kind of man is involved. He is fond of the lunacy in his life.....................hahaha.

PS. Why do guys think girls of ill repute make good businesswoman?

I suggest you actually read and understand what UbonJoe said - yes, there is no legal limit - there is a practical limit where you fall under suspicion. I know two people who had a serious hard time recently - one member of this forum was interrogated at length in Vientiane and eventually granted a visa. One non-member was rejected in Penang.

It's a risky job, expecting to live out your entire retirement in Thailand on a tourist visa. The advice earlier about going to Cambodia should be looked at by the OP - maybe do six months in each country each year.

nope. vietnam or laos are options though. hong kong has a free 3 month visa for many countries as well.

You are going to find many TV posters who claim to live well on less than $1500/mo--one, I remember claimed B5,500/mo was plenty. It sounds like you intend to live on Social Security, granted, better here than there. Good luck, not sure I could live in 25sqm and not drink, have sex, or even a steak when I wanted. Sounds like you need to find a Thai lady with money; that should solve all the problems.

dont eat steak. vegetables are healthier and cheaper.

I suggest you actually read and understand what UbonJoe said - yes, there is no legal limit - there is a practical limit where you fall under suspicion. I know two people who had a serious hard time recently - one member of this forum was interrogated at length in Vientiane and eventually granted a visa. One non-member was rejected in Penang.

It's a risky job, expecting to live out your entire retirement in Thailand on a tourist visa. The advice earlier about going to Cambodia should be looked at by the OP - maybe do six months in each country each year.

As paz said people have been living here decades on TR visas. One could simply show financial proof to allay suspicion. You know 2 people that got asked questions, perhaps they didn't prepare proof of income/residence. They got a visa anyway even without doing so!

Penang is known to be problematic. So just use Vientiane or Savannakhet. Replacing a passport full of stamps is both effective - consulates don't track stamps - and a necessity anyway as full page stickers quickly fill a passport.

This thread gives simple instructions on what is required if you get asked http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715011-red-stamp-in-vientiane-advice-needed/

Each to their own but I wouldn't advise Cambodia - with a much lower quality of living - over the minor inconvenience of providing certain info to consulates if asked.

All this is moot because, as posters said, he could get a retirement visa by showing proof of his regular monthly income (pension) from outside Thailand, without needing 800k in a Thai bank.

If it is moot it's because he learned on this thread that back to back tourist visas were not as easy as they once were.

People like you suggesting otherwise need to have a long talk to themselves when it's being reported people ARE being rejected and ARE being interrogated.

Make space in your mind for others people experiences being different.

If it is moot it's because he learned on this thread that back to back tourist visas were not as easy as they once were.

People like you suggesting otherwise need to have a long talk to themselves when it's being reported people ARE being rejected and ARE being interrogated.

From the thread 'Crackdown? Actually the contrary': http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/771612-crackdown-actually-the-contrary/

'There have been virtually no reports of anyone not being allowed in country or denied an extension without a valid reason. In fact many of the recent "new rules" are in favor of the foreigner, while the restrictions, although inconvenient, have been taken as a measure against abuse, and do have remedies.'

Thailand is still incredibly easy to live in, the lack of medial facilities in Cambodia is a greater concern to one's health than the mental pain of being asked to bring bank statements to a consulate.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

From the thread 'Crackdown? Actually the contrary': http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/771612-crackdown-actually-the-contrary/

'There have been virtually no reports of anyone not being allowed in country or denied an extension without a valid reason. In fact many of the recent "new rules" are in favor of the foreigner, while the restrictions, although inconvenient, have been taken as a measure against abuse, and do have remedies.'

Thailand is still incredibly easy to live in, the lack of medial facilities in Cambodia is a greater concern to one's health than the mental pain of being asked to bring bank statements to a consulate.

Awww man, there you go again -- I just told you that I know someone who was rejected at Penang, and someone who was heavily interrogated in Vientiane.

So now you have two reports.

And for the purpose of clarity - the TV member who had the problem has lived in Thailand for nine years - is fluent in Thai and knows exactly what they are doing. When they got to Vientiane they provided all the documentation they would ever need - only to be told that they had to talk to the consular officer.

Three hours later the consular officer made an appearance, interviewed my pal in a private office for forty minutes, then granted the visa with a warning.

That's the story, and that's the end of it - I'm not interested in witless gibbering. Some of you guys seem to have a complete breakdown when someone reports an experience outside of your own.

As for my pal rejected in Penang - they flew to Bali and will stay there for a while, with the intention of applying for a visa down there later this year.

Edited by phrodan
  • Like 1

Here is a crazy idea I hate to share. I live in a privately owned dormitory next to a Rajabhat University in a smallish town. Rent - 3,500, utiities less than 500, includes pretty good internet and parking. So, my housing expense is less than 9% of your income, and 3.5% of mine. I cook with a hot plate, toaster, water heater. I will probably add a microwave one of these days. It is a new building. The room is 196 sq feet not counting the bathroom and porch. I am surrounded by young people who don't mind me being here and are quite friendly. I could do some English tutoring if I want, but don't. I have taken part in some university activities. There is a lot of live music I can walk too and the normal compliment of farang bars and restaurants close by too. Some movies are in English. I use an okay health club which included a 25 meter pool for 1,500 a month. I am in a relationship with a college PhD across the street. She washes/irons my clothes, and expects a booty call a couple of times a week. Sorry, no beach here, but a pretty good lifestyle. Check around the local college towns especially between semesters and you too can get a dorm room. As I recall there 42 Rajabhat universities and lots of other schools too.

You are going to find many TV posters who claim to live well on less than $1500/mo--one, I remember claimed B5,500/mo was plenty. It sounds like you intend to live on Social Security, granted, better here than there. Good luck, not sure I could live in 25sqm and not drink, have sex, or even a steak when I wanted. Sounds like you need to find a Thai lady with money; that should solve all the problems.

dont eat steak. vegetables are healthier and cheaper.

Ah, but you see, I too eat vegetables, but I like steak and I do not care what it costs, I have money; I worked for it.

Bargirls are ok. Moderation is the key.

The horror stories you hear about are mostly men asking for it.

Sex-Tourists-Pattaya.jpglaugh.png

• Like 1

nope. vietnam or laos are options though. hong kong has a free 3 month visa for many countries as well.

Hong Kong on US$1,500 a month? Don't really think so, decent housing would cost more than that, haha!

48,000 a month? easy.

i rent a 40sqm condo in central BKK with pool/gym, hell it even has a bathtub and kitchen. 5min walk to MRT and even less for restaurants/bars/shopping mall/market etc

cost? 8,000 a month. electricity and water are at government rates, so my bills are about 10,000 baht a month all in (rent/water/elec/internet).

That leaves 40k for everything else.. childs play

• Like 1

Awww man, there you go again -- I just told you that I know someone who was rejected at Penang, and someone who was heavily interrogated in Vientiane.

So now you have two reports.

Good cop bad cop style?

Yup - honestly the visa forum is full of self-appointed experts - you don't dare say anything out of the ordinary or they'll tear you to pieces.

And yet just about every day there's reports of weird decisions by visa officers - and the usual refrain is "he's got that wrong."

You don't say - but it's too late for the person on the wrong end of the decision - they're left to pick up the pieces.

Try to get an "O" visa for the peace of mind.

My budget is the same as yours exactly. I budget 4k monthly for rent. 1k for utilities. Rest is blown on women(including wife), food, and beer. lol.

he request 25m2 w bedroom - 25m2 is usual only a studio,

he want seaview !! for 4k per month, where you can get sea view ?? ( a poster of the sea on the wall )

he want massage 2 hrs - and listen !! no happy end !!

My budget is the same as yours exactly. I budget 4k monthly for rent. 1k for utilities. Rest is blown on women(including wife), food, and beer. lol.

he request 25m2 w bedroom - 25m2 is usual only a studio,

he want seaview !! for 4k per month, where you can get sea view ?? ( a poster of the sea on the wall )

he want massage 2 hrs - and listen !! no happy end !!

You need sleep.

Yup - honestly the visa forum is full of self-appointed experts - you don't dare say anything out of the ordinary or they'll tear you to pieces.

And yet just about every day there's reports of weird decisions by visa officers - and the usual refrain is "he's got that wrong."

You don't say - but it's too late for the person on the wrong end of the decision - they're left to pick up the pieces.

Try to get an "O" visa for the peace of mind.

Far as I understand from this website for 'non O' one needs 800.000b on a Thai bank account, which is a pretty big waste of money if you can't touch it or use for investment etc. I don't have it cash in my pocket anyway.

I thought the minimum monthly money for retirement extension, age 50+, was about US$2000, or 65000 baht. Failing that, 800K baht in the bank.

True that USA Consulate does not vet USA citizens who claim enough income and do give affidavit to satisfy Thai govt but i have found that US$1500 is cutting life pretty thin here.

Good luck. I'm in a very decent, quiet, safe, clean room with all amenities needed for 4K baht/mo, + utilities at 500 b/month, in CM.

Yes, that's about right: http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

Slightly off-topic, but I'm amazed; flabbergasted even at how many contributors on this forum are living on a shoestring.

I like my creature comforts, so I'm happy with a few weeks vacation two or three times a year. I couldn't live hand to mouth like some of you seem to be doing.

48,000 a month? easy.

i rent a 40sqm condo in central BKK with pool/gym, hell it even has a bathtub and kitchen. 5min walk to MRT and even less for restaurants/bars/shopping mall/market etc

cost? 8,000 a month. electricity and water are at government rates, so my bills are about 10,000 baht a month all in (rent/water/elec/internet).

That leaves 40k for everything else.. childs play

100 agree! You just have to get out of vacation mode. I lived fine on my 35k teaching gig. I still was geeting laid, could afford beer and had regular massages!

In Thailand, or anywhere else, the rule of thumb is no more than 30% of your gross income for rent/mortgage AND utilities. Be careful with the latter, if you have just arrived from a cold country, and are running the air conditioner all the time. I have heard more than one report of some newly arrived farang getting his first rent notice, and discovering that he owes more for electricity than he does for rent.

That's right, because some apartment rentals charge about 7 or 8 Bt per unit of electricity, instead of the government rate of about 3 or 4 Bt per unit. Thieving b@stards.

• Like 1

I want to hear more about making his girl friend selling pancakes to increase his income..............hahahaha!

He cant be serrious...............but knowing thailand im afraid he is dead serrious.

Stay safely in your tourist mode.

How does cooking at home save money if you only have one mouth to feed. Theres a reason thais eat on the street. Its so freaking cheap.

Terminal 21 food court. Rice and 2 side dish is 35 baht. Bring your own cup and use bathroom water and you eat for 35 baht.

Street food is cheap, but cooking for yourself is freaking cheaper!

Try cooking a superb Penang curry for thirty five baht made with lean pork. That's what I pay local supply my own rice.