Retired with 1500usd month - recommended max. condo rent?

Mcffee

I thought the minimum monthly money for retirement extension, age 50+, was about US$2000, or 65000 baht. Failing that, 800K baht in the bank.

True that USA Consulate does not vet USA citizens who claim enough income and do give affidavit to satisfy Thai govt but i have found that US$1500 is cutting life pretty thin here.

Good luck. I'm in a very decent, quiet, safe, clean room with all amenities needed for 4K baht/mo, + utilities at 500 b/month, in CM.

Yes, that's about right: http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

Slightly off-topic, but I'm amazed; flabbergasted even at how many contributors on this forum are living on a shoestring.

I like my creature comforts, so I'm happy with a few weeks vacation two or three times a year. I couldn't live hand to mouth like some of you seem to be doing.

Better than living hand to mouth in the West though.

Why not live in a less expensive place like CM for a few months to get a handle on your actual living expenses first?

Also do you have any "seed" money/money in the bank for emergencies or if things go South?

This is a very useful site that allows you to compare the cost of living in one city to another:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Thailand

If you want to live on or near the beach for cheap, there's always the Phils...

• Like 1

Why not live in a less expensive place like CM for a few months to get a handle on your actual living expenses first?

Also do you have any "seed" money/money in the bank for emergencies or if things go South?

This is a very useful site that allows you to compare the cost of living in one city to another:

Filipino girls are the best in the world, but I find the Philippines an inconvenient shithole and I can't live in a country with so much suffering, where people are starving to death and 50% die without medical treatment and with a totally unfair class system.

Thailand is upper-third world but the Philippines is lower-third world, too sad really they deserve better.

Jomtien , near the beach you can get a studio 40 sqm for 7000 baht . Baan Suan Lalana , government rates for electrcity. No real kitchen but you can still cook inside, with sink and microwave etc. , I think this is a bargain so close to the sea. And with swimming pool and a nice park to do excercise and walking .

If you're interested I can talk to some of the owners, there are available units now from March .

Edited by balo

Don't think you can afford to spend more than 10,000 a month - but hope you also have savings and are not relying solely on 48k Thai Baht retirement. One medical issue and you are screwed.

Having a good worldwide medical insurance. Not relying on a Thai insurance! biggrin.png

Bupa sunshine plan! google it. Allows retiree's over 55 I think 6 months cover every 9 months, 6 months on 3 months off and you are covered just dont get sick during the 3 month of no insurance!

800k for OA visa AKA retirement visa and you will save a wack on border runs and visa extensions.

Befreind a local Thai and you can get better price for accomodation or compact your 25m squared room and you can, in Chiang Mai get a room for 2,000 Bahts per month. 20-25m2 and in a guest house all bills included decent internet in Chiang Mai 6,500 bahts.

45-48k per month is not great living standard regardless of location. How to live cheap as Canarysun! on that I would nt be spending more than 6k all bills included. Then all you got is your food, bike and everything else on top of that.

Don't think you can afford to spend more than 10,000 a month - but hope you also have savings and are not relying solely on 48k Thai Baht retirement. One medical issue and you are screwed.

Having a good worldwide medical insurance. Not relying on a Thai insurance! biggrin.png

Bupa sunshine plan! google it. Allows retiree's over 55 I think 6 months cover every 9 months, 6 months on 3 months off and you are covered just dont get sick during the 3 month of no insurance!

I don't expect Bupa to cover my monthly 18.000baht worth of medical necessities for the rest of my life. My current insurer does, for only 3500b a month...

You can do it -- but not in Bkk and not in a Condo .. go to a place like Nong Khai or Ao Nagng ... your income will allow you to live there IF you learn the ropes of the area...

You have a bit of Champagne taste with a beer budget.

Jomtien , near the beach you can get a studio 40 sqm for 7000 baht . Baan Suan Lalana , government rates for electrcity. No real kitchen but you can still cook inside, with sink and microwave etc. , I think this is a bargain so close to the sea. And with swimming pool and a nice park to do excercise and walking .

If you're interested I can talk to some of the owners, there are available units now from March .

So true. I have a studio apartment (40+ sqm) with a balcony, seaview (not the best as it's on a low floor but seaview nevertheless) aircon, good sized bathroom, dining cum lounge area, king sized bed, built in cupboards, kitchenette, fridge, washing machine, microwave, two plated stove. Condo has a large swimming pool, underground carpark, reception, 24 hour security (not the best admittedly). Couple of hundred metres to the beach. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance.

If I were to rent it out, I would probably be looking at 4-5 k per month.

That would leave the OP plenty left over for other leisure activities.

To the OP:

take note of what some other posters have mentioned about staying here long term on a tourist visa. Don't try living in Thailand on back to back tourist visas. You could well be denied entry and you will be stuck outside Thailand with all your stuff in Thailand. If you can't afford to have 800k in the bank for the purpose of extension of stay based on retirement, you might have to consider getting married to your gf and apply for marriage visa instead.

Edited by Gweiloman

I can't remember when I have heard so many cheap charlie tales. I wish all of you luck, and hope you keep thinking you are enjoying yourselves. I could not live that way and wouldn't 't want to.

Not everyone has 5000USD per month to retire on; It never ceases to amaze me when all the snobs show up on these threads saying they couldn't live on 1,500 USD per month in Thailand, etc...

It's not about being a "Cheap Charlie" it's about finances and not everyone will have several thousand a month to retire on.

Myself, I can live fine on 1,800 USD in CM since I don't drink or partake in bar girls.

Is that what these guys are spending their money on - booze and broads?

• Like 2

So true. I have a studio apartment (40+ sqm) with a balcony, seaview (not the best as it's on a low floor but seaview nevertheless) aircon, good sized bathroom, dining cum lounge area, king sized bed, built in cupboards, kitchenette, fridge, washing machine, microwave, two plated stove. Condo has a large swimming pool, underground carpark, reception, 24 hour security (not the best admittedly). Couple of hundred metres to the beach. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance.

To the OP:

take note of what some other posters have mentioned about staying here long term on a tourist visa. Don't try living in Thailand on back to back tourist visas. You could well be denied entry and you will be stuck outside Thailand with all your stuff in Thailand. If you can't afford to have 800k in the bank for the purpose of extension of stay based on retirement, you might have to consider getting married to your gf and apply for marriage visa instead.

What more does a single guy need? It's not like he's going to be home 24/7 - he's likely going to be out an about most of the time and home just to sleep, eat and relax and doesn't need a Mansion for that.

BTW, for a retirement Visa, I was under the impression you can combine your income with savings to meet the 800k requirement.

For example, if someone has a documented yearly income/pension of 650k Baht, can they deposit the other 150k Baht in a Thai bank to meet the Retirement Visa requirement?

• Like 1

Filipino girls are the best in the world, but I find the Philippines an inconvenient shithole and I can't live in a country with so much suffering, where people are starving to death and 50% die without medical treatment and with a totally unfair class system.

Thailand is upper-third world but the Philippines is lower-third world, too sad really they deserve better.

is it worse then cambodia? phenom pehn.

was thinking of visiting phil but dont know if i want to bother with the flight over.

did not care for cambodia much.

I can't remember when I have heard so many cheap charlie tales. I wish all of you luck, and hope you keep thinking you are enjoying yourselves. I could not live that way and wouldn't 't want to.

Not everyone has 5000USD per month to retire on; It never ceases to amaze me when all the snobs show up on these threads saying they couldn't live on 1,500 USD per month in Thailand, etc...

It's not about being a "Cheap Charlie" it's about finances and not everyone will have several thousand a month to retire on.

Myself, I can live fine on 1,800 USD in CM since I don't drink or partake in bar girls.

"Is that what these guys are spending their money on - booze and broads?"

Too often, yes.

I don't believe it's possible to live in Thailand on $1500 per month long term even without the girls and booze.

Sure if your health is still good and you can do a lot for yourself you can. But if an emergency arises you'd better have savings. Eventually you get older and need help.

At the very least I'd keep one foot in my home country and keep my medical insurance and all valid. For many countries that doesn't really cost and for the US it's about $105 a month for basic Medicare. At a certain age in Thailand there will be no medical insurance available and you are almost sure to need more medical care. This will break the backs of the expats who are on a shoestring. WILL break the backs.

If I was really only having $1500 per month and that's it, I'd be far better of in the US drawing benefits as I could and having Medicare medical insurance.

• Like 1

I think it's possible as the cost of living is about 1/3rd - 1/4th that of where I live (SF Bay Area) but one should have a bank account of 6 digits USD for emergencies as well as an exit plan in case things don't work out.

Too many people come to Thailand trying to live on the bare minimum, run into a financial emergency and then are stuck in Thailand with no money.

With Medicare, one can always fly to Guam or Hawaii for any major medical issue and have it taken care of unless it's a time-sensitive emergency.

I think it's possible as the cost of living is about 1/3rd - 1/4th that of where I live (SF Bay Area) but one should have a bank account of 6 digits USD for emergencies as well as an exit plan in case things don't work out.

Too many people come to Thailand trying to live on the bare minimum, run into a financial emergency and then are stuck in Thailand with no money.

With Medicare, one can always fly to Guam or Hawaii for any major medical issue and have it taken care of unless it's a time-sensitive emergency.

Geez, SF is expensive. I can't believe housing costs, even rents. California taxes are high too. Look at what it costs to register, license and pay taxes on a car for instance.

SF really takes the cake for expensive.

Geez, SF is expensive. I can't believe housing costs, even rents. California taxes are high too. Look at what it costs to register, license and pay taxes on a car for instance.

SF really takes the cake for expensive.

Yeah, tell me about it. When I see a comparable apartment/condo going for about 80-90% less in CM than in SF and hear people say "Thailand on $1,500 a month is undoable," I just have to laugh.

Food for thought. I also have worldwide medical insurance from my former employment but over time it changed in that the paperwork responsibility has gotten out of hand what with all the medical codes required to submit a claim. I haven't used it in a long time as I just pay out of pocket and forget it. Major medical treatment, however, would be a different story.

If I used my plan for a major expense, I'd have to pay the hospital and wait for reimbursement of my claim. So while you may have insurance, you might want to consider if hospitals or doctors will honor your ins. plan or if your'll have to pay up front followed by the submission of a claim. If it's the latter, you'll want to save enough to cover that cost if and when it occurs.

Good luck.

Snob, or simply better prepared? I started with nothing, but I started working at 11 years of age. I saved all my life, was never broke on payday, because I didn't spend it all--I lived on less than I made. I worked my way through school, so I could get better paying jobs, and invested. I worked hard to get even better positions, and invested even more. I did nothing any of you could not have done, if you had the gumption.

Snob, or simply better prepared? I started with nothing, but I started working at 11 years of age. I saved all my life, was never broke on payday, because I didn't spend it all--I lived on less than I made. I worked my way through school, so I could get better paying jobs, and invested. I worked hard to get even better positions, and invested even more. I did nothing any of you could not have done, if you had the gumption.

And unforeseen circumstances occur in life as well.

Tell me, where did you live most of your life? I bet somewhere inexpensive.

Saying "if you had the gumption" is not only insulting, it's also ignorant.

Perhaps "pompous jerk" would've been a more apt description than "snob"

You must be a big hit at parties...

Gee, are you upset? Unforseen cricumstances, like what: loss of job, illness, poor financial decisions, recessions? Had them all. However, I kept at it. I worked overseas most of my life, got paid well, and invested. So many simply work for the paycheck and spend everthing they make on a false lifestyle up to their ears in debt. I'll wager that describes the majority of you who live here on the cheap.

I have several friends who worked with me on several contracts and made the same kind of money, most are living on a pittance, two here in Thailand, four more in the PI--all made foolish decisions about spending, saving and investing. I see the same poor habits in several offshore workers here today, many are broke when they have to go back offshore. I have one good friend who has worked over 35 years offshore, and like me, as a contractor. He is worried he will be laid off and doesn't have any retirement plan or job possiblilties--he doesn't have $30k stashed away--that's less than $75/mo saved for his retirement. How long do you think that will last? Oh, I guess he must have some state old age pension, but what, $1000-1500/mo, probably less?

I owned my first house at 25. Had four duplexes and a 107 acre farm by the time I was 34. Still own several rental properties and my farm, and I didn't waste my money on a worthless woman or buying something I cannot own. But you're right, none of my houses were mansions. I also owned lots of vehicles, but not a Bentley among them. However, I did manage few Corvettes, Harleys, and speedboats--and I bought all of them when I had the money to do so and a job in hand.

As a farang, you had opportunities too. I am sure the thought of having enough for retirement crossed your mind, at least it should have. So, don't blame your poor decisions on me.

Now, just so we are on the same page, I said, "I can't remember when I have heard so many cheap charlie tales. I wish all of you luck, and hope you keep thinking you are enjoying yourselves. I could not live that way and wouldn't 't want to." Somehow, you construe that to be a snob, or pompous jerk. You are the one calling names, and you even took exception to the word "gumption"---which means, among other words, shrewdness and practicality.

• Like 1

To the OP:

What more does a single guy need? It's not like he's going to be home 24/7 - he's likely going to be out an about most of the time and home just to sleep, eat and relax and doesn't need a Mansion for that.

BTW, for a retirement Visa, I was under the impression you can combine your income with savings to meet the 800k requirement.

For example, if someone has a documented yearly income/pension of 650k Baht, can they deposit the other 150k Baht in a Thai bank to meet the Retirement Visa requirement?

Yes, it's called the combination method. Full details are available on the visa threads section. UbonJoe can give you all the answers to whatever questions you have, plus answers to questions you don't have too.

And unforeseen circumstances occur in life as well.

Tell me, where did you live most of your life? I bet somewhere inexpensive.

Saying "if you had the gumption" is not only insulting, it's also ignorant.

Perhaps "pompous jerk" would've been a more apt description than "snob"

You must be a big hit at parties...

Gee, are you upset? Unforseen cricumstances, like what: loss of job, illness, poor financial decisions, recessions? Had them all. However, I kept at it. I worked overseas most of my life, got paid well, and invested. So many simply work for the paycheck and spend everthing they make on a false lifestyle up to their ears in debt. I'll wager that describes the majority of you who live here on the cheap.

I have several friends who worked with me on several contracts and made the same kind of money, most are living on a pittance, two here in Thailand, four more in the PI--all made foolish decisions about spending, saving and investing. I see the same poor habits in several offshore workers here today, many are broke when they have to go back offshore. I have one good friend who has worked over 35 years offshore, and like me, as a contractor. He is worried he will be laid off and doesn't have any retirement plan or job possiblilties--he doesn't have $30k stashed away--that's less than $75/mo saved for his retirement. How long do you think that will last? Oh, I guess he must have some state old age pension, but what, $1000-1500/mo, probably less?

I owned my first house at 25. Had four duplexes and a 107 acre farm by the time I was 34. Still own several rental properties and my farm, and I didn't waste my money on a worthless woman or buying something I cannot own. But you're right, none of my houses were mansions. I also owned lots of vehicles, but not a Bentley among them. However, I did manage few Corvettes, Harleys, and speedboats--and I bought all of them when I had the money to do so and a job in hand.

As a farang, you had opportunities too. I am sure the thought of having enough for retirement crossed your mind, at least it should have. So, don't blame your poor decisions on me.

Now, just so we are on the same page, I said, "I can't remember when I have heard so many cheap charlie tales. I wish all of you luck, and hope you keep thinking you are enjoying yourselves. I could not live that way and wouldn't 't want to." Somehow, you construe that to be a snob, or pompous jerk. You are the one calling names, and you even took exception to the word "gumption"---which means, among other words, shrewdness and practicality.

they are probably budgeting $1500 because they have to, not becsuse they want to.

• Like 1

I spend just $300 USD a month in the US since house is paid for. I'm amazed people say you can't live on xx amount in Thailand. I could live on 100 baht a day in Thailand and have many times. I think most of them are blowing their funds on bargirls or overpriced cars/houses. $1500 a month in Thailand and I live very luxuriously on that with my wife. We eat out every day at Thai restaurants and have plenty for evenings on Walking Street, trips to Chiang Mai, etc.

Yup - honestly the visa forum is full of self-appointed experts - you don't dare say anything out of the ordinary or they'll tear you to pieces.

And yet just about every day there's reports of weird decisions by visa officers - and the usual refrain is "he's got that wrong."

You don't say - but it's too late for the person on the wrong end of the decision - they're left to pick up the pieces.

Try to get an "O" visa for the peace of mind.

Far as I understand from this website for 'non O' one needs 800.000b on a Thai bank account, which is a pretty big waste of money if you can't touch it or use for investment etc. I don't have it cash in my pocket anyway.

Just marry a Thai...all your problems will disappear. :D

I spend just $300 USD a month in the US since house is paid for. I'm amazed people say you can't live on xx amount in Thailand. I could live on 100 baht a day in Thailand and have many times. I think most of them are blowing their funds on bargirls or overpriced cars/houses. $1500 a month in Thailand and I live very luxuriously on that with my wife. We eat out every day at Thai restaurants and have plenty for evenings on Walking Street, trips to Chiang Mai, etc.

I admire the fact you can live so cheaply. However, I cannot and would not want to.

Find somewhere nice, a cool building that doesn't get the midday sun, buy your motorbike, all this on a tourist visa...

BUT IN CAMBODIA

Then find someone who also lives in nice, cheap, building, and owns a bike....

BUT IN THAILAND

And then swap lives for 6 months of the year.

Should be very easy to arrange on this forum.

I'm surprised there isn;t already a dedicated sub-forum for this purpose!

Edited by RandomSand