Farangs need to pass "Thainess" course to get teacher license

Thaivisa News

The B.... s..... of the year.

Before that, Thai need to take a course in human behavior!!!!!

Go to any Thai school and watch these zoos. What do they request????

I think, make the kids first respect the foreigners should be the first step.

Its just another step agains foreigners. looks like they wanna tell, hey farang leave us alone.

I pray and hope, that this economy crashes very soon.

Edited by SuwadeeS

This also applies to qualified teachers from the west? Like the Thai education system has anything to offer them in the way of improvement?

Thainess? The rules can be placed on a single page and read a few minutes. Just avoid certain subjects altogether (but stand still whenever the national anthem is played) and just teach the subject you're paid to. Job done. And lean about 'mai pen rai' and 'face'. This means ''We'll cock stuff up for you, and then smile in your face and not admit that we lost your degree and passport.'' It also means knowing your place as a non Thai. Forget teaching (in many cases, but not all). Accept your place as the local performing monkey. Thainess.

Call me a cynic, but this 'course' wouldn't be about money would it?

And who pays for this course? The individual teacher, the teacher's school, or the Ministry of Education?

You want to teach in Thailand, you must get the proper qualifications You want to teach,,,you pay,,I would say on top of that you would have to speak Thai so you could explain in class what the hell you are trying to say/teach,,,,,,My Gf son got an English teacher at school he can't talk Thai you know what,He is hopeless/useless he can't explain anything so he is teaching FA/nothing to the kids, they don't understand him so they don't learn anything.

So, you want fully qualified, bilingual foreign teachers? For about 30,000 baht a month? Good luck with that one. I assume your girlfriend's son is not at an International School? I'm relating this to how you worded 'got an English teacher' like most of his teachers are Thai. Apologies if I'm wrong. Non Inters will pay anything from 25,000 baht - 60,000 baht (if lucky). I have heard of higher salaries, but not often. An average non Inter salary is around 40,000- 45,000 baht a month. Not great, huh? You can (perhaps should) teach a foreign language without speaking a word of the students' language. It needs to be done with skill, the right materials and technique. Sounds like you've got a teacher that doesn't know what he's doing to be honest. I agree with you regarding the need for qualifications. I'm doing a B.Ed in the UK and will be a qualified primary teacher next year. I will also have a Trinity TESOL for good measure.Thing is, can Thailand afford to pay such teachers considering the hassle with visas/permits/hoops to jump through etc? I won't be accepting 30k, becoming the school's performing monkey and hoop jumping, that's for sure. Other nations reimburse flights, pay for accomodation and pay two or three times as much. That is the reality here. And they don't expect you to be a performing monkey.

You only have to look at some of the deluded job adverts on the other Thai website. I recently read an advert by a school asking for Master's degrees in Education and years of experience teaching to the UK or US curriculum for 30k a month. Madness. Those requirements should be for Inters, but many schools (and Kurusapa) have ideas above their finances or are just in dreamland.

Guess it's normal that every school tries to get the best qualifications for lowest prices. That's economy.

Once you're in you can always demonstrate that you're worth more than they pay. And if you're really over-qualified, then maybe you can bargain again - or move to another school where they pay you more. That's also economy.

Consider 30kb a month and the "Thainess" certificate as a baseline to start up.

I don't think that "Thainess" means that you have to be able to compose a poem in Thai letters. Rather something to find "the right tones" to communicate. Remember, Thai is a total language, and this has implications.

If I were a school master in Europe, I would not only look for skills in the target language but also for skills in rhetoric or non-verbal communication. It is very important that you can physically express what you are doing.

BTW, prices in Thailand are much lower than in Europe, and the quality of life is much better, otherwise all these Farangs wouldn't be here.

Edited by micmichd

Guess it's normal that every school tries to get the best qualifications for lowest prices. That's economy.

Once you're in you can always demonstrate that you're worth more than they pay. And if you're really over-qualified, then maybe you can bargain again - or move to another school where they pay you more. That's also economy.

Consider 30kb a month and the "Thainess" certificate as a baseline to start up.

I don't think that "Thainess" means that you have to be able to compose a poem in Thai letters. Rather something to find "the right tones" to communicate. Remember, Thai is a total language, and this has implications.

If I were a school master in Europe, I would not only look for skills in the target language but also for skills in rhetoric or non-verbal communication. It is very important that you can physically express what you are doing.

BTW, prices in Thailand are much lower than in Europe, and the quality of life is much better, otherwise all these Farangs wouldn't be here.

The proposed course is about Thai culture, not Thai language.

Variations of this course have been going on for several years. It started as a 6 to 8 hour course that could be taken in one day. I was among the last to take this first version (Culture Course 1.0 !) about 3 or 4 years ago. Then it was expanded to a two day course (version 2.0) wink.png . It has not been offered for almost a year and now this latest version - which should be a 3 day class - is being offered. The version 1.0 & 2.0 seminars cost about 5,000 baht. I would imagine that this latest version will probably run about 10K. blink.png

However, I haven't heard any confirmation of the details discussed in the OP anywhere else. Until I see some kind of confirmation, I'm going to be rather skeptical that any of this is accurate or true. It looks like another rumor that will set everybody into a tizzy & then fizzle out to nothing.

There have been articles published on this since the beginning of last year & the TCT have been directly informing waiver / licence applicants about it for over 6 months. I myself was told directly by a TCT rep, in July of last year, not to take the culture course unless I was going to apply for the licence within 3 months. The reason given was that there would be a new 40hr course introduced which would invalidate all previous 20hr courses.

The new course has now been confirmed by the MoE, in the minutes of conference 1/2558

2) Profession teaching licenses for foreigners:
This includes foreigners who have degrees in subjects other than teaching and who passed teaching profession subjects with at least 24 credits from educational institutes that were certified by the Teacher's Council or from higher education institutes whose academic standing was approved by governmental or the relevant professional organizations in each country. The training takes 21 hours and includes 15 hours of Language and Cultural Studies and 6 hours of Law.
3) Foreigners who have degrees in other fields and have teaching licenses from foreign countries must pass a 42 -hour training course (Languages and Cultural Studies for 15 hours, Law for 6 hours, Thailand's education management concept for 3 hours, educational testing and assessment for 9 hours, and the psychology of learning for 9 hours)...
5) Access to the teaching profession for foreign teachers:
- Requests for temporary unlicensed membership of the teaching profession for those who do not have the knowledge or the professional experience required by the Teacher's Council. This permission is for two years per request and cannot be extended for more than six consecutive years.
- Requests to register applications for teaching profession licenses. Applicants have to meet the following qualifications:
- Age not over 20 years old
- Have degrees in educational fields or equivalent, or other qualifications that have been certified by the Teacher's Council, or degrees in other fields but with professional teaching licenses from foreign countries, or certificates in the field of education (study period must be more than one year), or degrees in other fields.
- Have at least 24 credits from studying education-related subjects in educational institutes certified by the Teacher's Council or from higher education institutes that were approved for academic standing from governmental or the relevant professional organizations in those countries.
- Have passed teaching practice in educational institutes of at least one year, according to the criteria and procedures defined by the Teacher's Council.
- have achieved the results in the Language Test for Communication required by the Teacher's Council.
- Have a work permit
- Have passed the 42-hour training course defined by the Teacher's Council.
Sorry to burst people's bubbles but K-12 teachers still need a GradDipT or higher, in addition to this new course, to qualify for the Teacher's Licence. smile.png

Variations of this course have been going on for several years. It started as a 6 to 8 hour course that could be taken in one day. I was among the last to take this first version (Culture Course 1.0 !) about 3 or 4 years ago. Then it was expanded to a two day course (version 2.0) wink.png . It has not been offered for almost a year and now this latest version - which should be a 3 day class - is being offered. The version 1.0 & 2.0 seminars cost about 5,000 baht. I would imagine that this latest version will probably run about 10K. blink.png

v1: 2 days @ 3000B

v2: 3 days @ 5000B+

v3: 5-6 days @ 10,000B+

Don't forget that applicants had to apply in person for v2 which may have necessitated taking an unpaid holiday plus associated travel expenses.

“We have required them to take this course because Thai culture and theirs are completely different,” he says."

Yes, farangs eat bread and Thais eat rice and sticky rice

If everyone else's culture is completely different; perhaps they are the ones, who should be taking the course.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

“We have required them to take this course because Thai culture and theirs are completely different,” he says."

If everyone else's culture is completely different; perhaps they are the ones, who should be taking the course.

Maybe it has been overlooked but Thailand, as the name implies, has Thai people as its citizens. Why shoud the people of the country change in order to please people from other countries? I assume you meant something completely different from what was posted but if not you are suffering from a mental illness. In which case it is reasonable to assume you are American who comes from a country that can do no wrong. Oh by the way the Tooth fairy is alive and well

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe it has been overlooked but Thailand, as the name implies, has Thai people as its citizens. Why shoud the people of the country change in order to please people from other countries? I assume you meant something completely different from what was posted but if not you are suffering from a mental illness. In which case it is reasonable to assume you are American who comes from a country that can do no wrong. Oh by the way the Tooth fairy is alive and well

It also has malays, hmong, karen, lisu, thai yai,lao, khmer, vietnamese etc... Its former, and better name was Siam.

• Like 1

Thailand is Thailand, regardless of minorities. You have minorities in almost any Farang country.

Many Farangs think they own Thailand because they spend some of their (rather worthless) money here.

This Iis sheer Imperialism.

Farangs don't own anything of Thailand, the owners of Thailand are Thai.

All that for 30,000 baht a month and 3 months unpaid breaks per year. No retirement benefits or job security.

No ticket home and no more free lunch.

????

You know what to do then fxxx xxf home.. You must be crazy to take on a job like that,,,,,Or are you also into back-handers same as most of the nation?

What culture. In any shopping centers that you go frang music clothing, etc dominants. So we are already part of thainess

Speak for yourself, Anyway falang music is better than all the covers they try and do,They cant play ,,cant sing. cant act, cant speak English ( must be the teachers fault ) Only plink plonk ding ding boooooom booom, I am siamese if you please, wong wong ding kind of thing .

Leave it out cocker leave it out .

Thailand is Thailand, regardless of minorities. You have minorities in almost any Farang country.

Many Farangs think they own Thailand because they spend some of their (rather worthless) money here.

This Iis sheer Imperialism.

Farangs don't own anything of Thailand, the owners of Thailand are Thai.

Yes we all know that,do you think we are all stupid? I do not agree about your daft comment on the money,as we all know that is not true.( are you German with Euro by any chance?

If the UK would throw out all the cxxxs we would be very happy

A German english teacher in bangkok,always says to the class,,,, We have vays und means to teach you English,Nicht Wahr ? vos ist your name und Wehr do you come from ?

You must speak Thai,and be a native English speaker to teach English Period ( and not with an accent )

A German english teacher in bangkok,always says to the class,,,, We have vays und means to teach you English,Nicht Wahr ? vos ist your name und Wehr do you come from ?

You must speak Thai,and be a native English speaker to teach English Period ( and not with an accent )

I believe it's already been established that you have no idea what you're talking about! facepalm.gif