Garbage dump site catches fire in Samut Prakarn

webfact

Garbage dump site catches fire in Samut Prakarn

13-2-2558-12-11-49-wpcf_728x408.jpg

Garbage dump fire broke out again at Phraekasa in Samut Prakarn province before dawn Friday
The fire was first spotted at 2.30 am sending out black smokes and strong smells to blanket adjacent communities.

Some residents were awakened from their beds and started to evacuate due to the smokes and smells from dry waste, piles of plastic and other flammable materials.

Firemen were alerted and they arrived in 20 water trucks to combat the fire.

Residents said strong winds caused the fire to spread quickly, forced them to try in vain to control the huge blaze

But after six hours of blazing, firemen could kept it under control.

Local residents said the garbage dump site had been closed a long time ago but it went up in flames about five years ago. This site is near the Phraekasa dump site which caught a huge and long fire in March last year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/garbage-dump-site-catches-fire-samut-prakarn

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-13

Another fire breaks out in a Samut Prakarn landfill

SAMUT PRAKARN, 13 February 2015 (NNT) - The Pollution Control Department (PCD) sent officials to a blaze at an old garbage dump in Samut Prakarn province to measure levels of air pollution in the surrounding residential areas.

PCD Director General Wichien Jungrungruang ordered officials from the department’s Chemical Emergency Response Centre to investigate the fire.

People living around the landfill have not been asked to evacuate, but the PCD has been closely monitoring the situation to determine if firefighters can contain the blaze.

The fire broke out at 1 a.m. on Friday at the old privately-operated garbage dump located in Soi Praksa 8, Muang District. The garbage dump lies a kilometer from the Praksa landfill, which also suffered a massive fire in 2014.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-13 footer_n.gif

Chances are there was insufficient top cover applied when the site was closed. There should have been at least a metre of soil and I'd bet my pension that there was no or totally inadequate landfill gas management post closure. Need good regulators who can't be paid off.

• Like 1

yyyyyyeah.....samut prakan is since long ago a real factories garbage making polution every where....most are chinese or thai chinese who care only about money and all the shit goes to the ground .............i 've seen it many times.

coffee1.gif

yyyyyyeah.....samut prakan is since long ago a real factories garbage making polution every where....most are chinese or thai chinese who care only about money and all the shit goes to the ground .............i 've seen it many times.

coffee1.gif

I have a house , In Bang Poo, I think you should have a visit, not many Chinese around that i see, Land prices going through the roof ,The sky train is well under way, it

should be up and running in a year, You will be able to get to Central Bangkok in about twenty minutes, I would say the place is booming, maybe that's why there was a

mystery fire, there was one just before Christmas, It was on the TV.

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

I have a house , In Bang Poo, I think you should have a visit, not many Chinese around that i see, Land prices going through the roof ,The sky train is well under way, it

should be up and running in a year, You will be able to get to Central Bangkok in about twenty minutes, I would say the place is booming, maybe that's why there was a

mystery fire, there was one just before Christmas, It was on the TV.

bang poo is not samut prakan where all the factories are all concentrated and where all the polution is............your out of context

only a fool would go to leave near this places...of course it is full of urbanisation, they need to build somewhere..........., but it is all crap,very noisy, near the airport , motorway and far from bangkok....a real mess in my opinion where i would never myself invest.

coffee1.gif

Air, water quality to be checked after dump catches fire again
Monthien Intaket,
Suttinan Kongsin
The Nation

30254059-01_big.jpg?1423870676861

BANGKOK: -- THE DEPARTMENT of Industrial Works (DIW) is checking the quality of air and water around the old Praksa dumpsite in Samut Prakan province out of concern that yesterday's fire spread harmful contaminants.

The fire broke out early yesterday, causing a stampede among scrap workers in the area.

More than 20 fire trucks rushed in to control the blaze, which was finally extinguished early in the afternoon. As of press time, some weak white fumes were visible.

A scientist for the department, Viroj Jitweranunrungsri, said they stepped in to check the quality of air and water after learning that industrial waste had been illegally dumped at the site.

"If we find evidence that these reports are true, then we will take legal action against the offenders," he said.

Though this dumpsite has been closed for a decade already, it is believed that some people continue to illegally dump industrial waste there.

A big fire erupted on this dumpsite last year and raged on for several weeks, spreading toxic fumes across many districts of Samut Prakan, as well as nearby areas of Bangkok.

Tambon Praksa Administrative Organisation's vice chairman Mongkhon Kongbamrung said yesterday there were no casualties from yesterday's fire, but it remained unclear how the fire began. Police are checking to see if the cause of the fire may have been accidental or arson among other things.

Samut Prakan police chief Maj-General Tana Chuwong said the fire destroyed a small hut and a motorcycle. The dumpsite's owner Sompong Narinsuksanti, 61, said he had allowed workers to erect huts at the site so they could continue earning a living by picking out recyclable garbage for sale.

"They said they woke up in the middle of the night when the fire got near. They tried to put out the flames, but in vain," he said, adding that he suspects a short circuit may have caused the fire.

"Short circuits happen often as mice chew on electrical cables."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Air-water-quality-to-be-checked-after-dump-catches-30254059.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-14