Rough guide to cost of building a house please

Playing with the idea of building a house. I know its a how long is a piece of string question.

A nicely designed modern 2 bedroom, kitchen 80m2 house ....building costs?

Designed to stay as cool temp wise as possible., on 1 floor.

Am I right in thinking 2 million is needed for something nice?

Dependant on where you are and assuming you don't want anything outside the envelope you're looking at about a million for structure, doors, windows, basic plumbing and electrics, etc. Add to that all the luxury add-ons (aircon, decent kitchen) and you're probably going to double that at move-in.

A budget of 2 million is certainly very doable even including basic furnishings.

A couple of bungalows here http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/index.html if you go to the original Thai government page (link at the top) there are BOQs and approximate building costs, but remember the costings are at least 8-10 years old.

• Like 2

Once again, where are you located ?

Price for labor and materials can vary considerably throughout Thailand

For what you pay in Issan won't even get you in the door in Phuket for instance

Rural or Urban ?

Moo Bahn or private plot ?

Electric and Water already at the site or not ?

Sorry, but unlike others I am not about to get your hopes up until I have more relevant information (thinking 2 million)

• Like 1

Depends a lot on where your building, labor and materials are more expensive in the cities compared to living in the sticks. A guy in the local village will work cheaper than the guy in the nearest big town...

Edited by Dublin
  • Like 1

My gf's family had a 4 bed villa built on their own land in ubon, obviously they didn't have to pay for the land, her father drafted the plans, her uncle along with local workmen did the work (he didn't do it cheaper than anyone else)build completed, ready to move in cost around 850,000baht, unfurnished with no aircon. Water, electric, sewerage etc already on site as it was next to their existing house in the middle of the village,

Hi, I built the attached 140 square meter home, includes outside areas, near Si Sa Ket for a bit over 2 million it includes all furnishings, air con, water pump etc, it is top finished. May I suggest you use an experienced designer who uses a certified engineer. I gave mine a basic design of what I wanted she did the rest, stand firm with your builder mine was great & did everythingIi wanted, the first guy I approached would't build the roof.post-226554-0-47353500-1424055741_thumb.

• Like 1

1 million upwards depending on the materials you want to be used.

a red brick, corrugated roof house = 10,000 baht a metre area to include walk ways and balcony's.

double skinned insulated walls, with a nice tiled roof 15,000 baht a metre.

you supply all materials about 2,500 to 3,000 baht a metre.

when getting prices check on the materials being priced for.

i am building a 88 sm house 2 bdrm 1 story for 500000baht. i am building it myself. if i pay a contractor to do what i already can do....it will cost 2.5m screw that

if you got the time and know how....build it yourself ...save your money and buy a good truck or take many nice vacations

• Like 1

The easiest way to express costs is on a per square meter basis. Prices very depending on where you're going to build.

Using the cheapest/simplest finishing, budget around 9,000 Baht/sqm

For standard level finishing, around 12,000/sqm

For high standard finishing, anywhere up to 25,000/sqm

Up North these prices will need be adjusted down, in tourist/island areas, they will need to be adjusted up.

This will get you a house built to lockup stage - from there you will still have the expenses of kitchens, built-ins, furniture and accessories like water pumps, air conditioning etc.

You also need to have some land to build on smile.png

Good info for sure. Including land, we paid 2,400,000 six years ago for 200 square meters and the included land was likely valued at 500,000. We put 350,000 in air conditioners, hot water heaters, kitchen, another covered patio, water pump and tank, landscaping, tiled all outdoor concrete, re-painted outside with TOA Super Shield which should have been done to begin with to eliminate mold, built an outdoor kitchen on the outdoor covered patio, and added security bars, screens, curtains, blinds. Furniture ran about 250,000 for bedrooms, den, living and dining. Land around here has easily doubled in price or more.

We built our large 2 bed bungalow in our village in Surin province for B2.4 Million including furnishings, air cons, water pumps, tanks, landscaping fencing and gates. We ppruchased all the materials and employed my wife's sister's building company to build it at around B400,000 for labour.

i am building a 88 sm house 2 bdrm 1 story for 500000baht. i am building it myself. if i pay a contractor to do what i already can do....it will cost 2.5m screw that

if you got the time and know how....build it yourself ...save your money and buy a good truck or take many nice vacations

How much is the undertable money to avoid the fine/jail time, for working without a workpermit

• Like 1

Also Isan is getting expensive.

Contractors (farmers) are already asking 2000 baht per day for themselves when doing a construction job.

2 million baht is not going to be enough.

Be very careful !! I have been building for 7 years now.

At this point my advice would be rent.

How long is a string. In my experience the kitchen is the most expensive and that will determine much of your costs. If you go for top of the range the kitchen (equiped) can be B 500 k plus (appliances = B 250 k and cupboards B 250 k for small kitchen). If you go lower on the kitchen and still do a good job B 1 m. Check the following:

1. If you must get plans drawn up and approved = +-B 30 k

2. If rural check water and electricity supply and the frequency of interruptions. If you have frequent interruptions design and build the house with alternative water and electricty supply from the start. Could be +- B 300 k (borehole and solar).

3. Look at the building specs and design the house that its lifted +- 1 m from the ground. This will prevent damp problems in future and make termite applications easier in future. Agree on the specs in writing with the builder. I would look at the foundation specs and pillar specs as savings here will cause future problems (sagging walls and cracks). Are you going to build with cement blocks or clay bricks, are you building single walls or double. There are lightweight roofing available that reflects heat as well as insullation in the roof.

4. Electrical work in the country is soddy, get a good electrician (not easy) to do a western standard wiring job with all the safety systems build in.

5. Water heaters differ and you get ones that will only warm the water and others that gets it hot (look before you buy), make certain that they are correctly earthed.

Good luck.

Also Isan is getting expensive.

Contractors (farmers) are already asking 2000 baht per day for themselves when doing a construction job.

2 million baht is not going to be enough.

Be very careful !! I have been building for 7 years now.

At this point my advice would be rent.

2000 Baht/day? You have been tagged.

This, readers, is why you only ever talk in cost per sqm. You shouldn't care less about what the contractor pays his staff ;)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Aside from cost is there a reason no-one seems to build anything upcountry that could be considered modern?

I see all these boring spanish style villas, but nothing built with steel and glass.

I have seen some great villas around the coasts and in Bangkok, so I know it can be done.

skilled Thai workers whether in Bangkok, North or Issan cost somewhere between 300-500 baht per day. Maybe someone really good up to 600 but no more than this. And if you want cheaper you can hire Cambodians/Myanmar for less obviously.

However I recommend to fix a price for a construction company/person to do the work on your house and buy the material yourself. This way

a) it doesn't matter to you whether workers are efficientlydoing their work or not. You just focus that quality is good.

B) you safe a lot on materials and you can the right quality material you want.

How much is the undertable money to avoid the fine/jail time, for working without a workpermit

You do not need a work permit to do things by yourself. He is not selling any product or service. such stupidity!

• Like 2

skilled Thai workers whether in Bangkok, North or Issan cost somewhere between 300-500 baht per day. Maybe someone really good up to 600 but no more than this. And if you want cheaper you can hire Cambodians/Myanmar for less obviously.

However I recommend to fix a price for a construction company/person to do the work on your house and buy the material yourself. This way

a) it doesn't matter to you whether workers are efficientlydoing their work or not. You just focus that quality is good.

cool.png you safe a lot on materials and you can the right quality material you want.

I lived in a small village in Phitsanulok for a year where my g/f's mother built a 600 sq metre two story building(store) in 3 sections(not with my money) I told my g/f that the building was 3 times larger than what they needed and that the contractor was doing shoddy work (I know a little about construction) We had an apartment above the second floor of the first section and before the contractor finished we had water leaking into every room and around the windows. It tripped the breaker a couple of times. The ceiling drywall was collapsing with the weight of the water build up. He the contractor kept telling her and her mother they were both crazy that the work was OK. The husband had walked out some time ago. The bank had advanced them about 7 million baht for the work going back 3 years now. The rooms were not square and the water was pooling in the bathrooms(does not run uphill) He rushed the job to get his money so he could run. She said they had a one year warranty on construction but I doubt that they had any warranty after the builder was done and gone. He was a scammer plain and simple and they were stuck with a big leaky mausoleum. I doubt that they had any way to enforce the warranty in this village. I left after a year and would not be surprised if the bank had taken over my now.

We are almost finished building a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 120 sq meter home...relatively high end...for 2M. This is in the province of Kalasin. Of course there are some things not included in that price such as mosquito screens for the windows and screen above the vented soffit. He did make us a kitchen base cabinet structure out of concrete to fit the cabinets we bought from Kitzcho. We also bought our hob vent and hob, but he is putting the whole kitchen together as part of the price. It did include the house water pump. Other than that it included just about everything you would expect in other countries for a finished house ready to move in. We got very lucky with our builder.

Good luck.

Edited by oneday

About 5 years ago we built almost the exact house you are talking about. Paid a tad less than B800,000. Not 5 star but had granite counter tops in kitchen & toilet. A bit of sandstone trim on the outside. CPAC roof and not just roof panels. Better grade electrical plug ins. Things are a bit higher today my guess is less than 1 million if you pay attention. These are building prices only......no land involved. I can PM you a photo if you like.

Edited by rotary
  • Like 1

Aside from cost is there a reason no-one seems to build anything upcountry that could be considered modern?

I see all these boring spanish style villas, but nothing built with steel and glass.

I have seen some great villas around the coasts and in Bangkok, so I know it can be done.

Lack of skilled builders. They know how to build very basic houses, but they know nothing about steel and glass. Generally "the coast" and bangkok is wealthier, so some people can afford expensive houses, which in turn attracts skilled builders, who can build those houses.

It is for the same reason there are no luxury car repair shops or dealers upcountry. There is no demand.

Edited by monkeycountry