ED visa in Jakarta possible?

I've got to leave Thailand to apply for my Non Immigrant ED visa this week, and the secretary at my school is adamant that I must do it at Vientiane. I asked her if I could do it in Cambodia, and she said that it could take two weeks to get done before. I have not asked her about Jakarta yet, but my friend would like to go there for his tourist visa run, and I'd like to join him. There's nothing for me in Laos but a visa.

I've searched the forum and tried to find my answer, and I don't believe it is there yet

I'm an Australian citizen, coming off my first tourist visa this year. A 60 day that I applied for in Australia and extended in Bangkok.

Bottom line - Is there any reason why I can't apply for my ED visa in Jakarta or any other place for that matter? Do let me know if I need to provide additional information.

Edit: I don't want to be away from Bangkok for too long as I'm keen on getting back to my Thai language course. Do you think coming on Saturday and leaving on Wednesday afternoon should be enough time?

Edited by Bear0Mack

If you want sure and safe results,you need to go to Vientane as your school suggested.

Otherwise if you want to try Jakarta (that is not a normal destination for Thai visa) just for your personal convenience, at least contact them beforehand to minimize chances of a negative surprise..

Thanks Paz. I appreciate your helpfulness.

My school also says that I don't need the multi-entry visa, just single entry but I found this recent post by UbonJoe saying that I need multi-entry to get the 1 year visa now. Not sure if I've understood that correctly.

Apparently if I want to leave the country I just need to get an exit permit, which costs 1000 baht at immigration or the airport.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=1&t=781533&qpid=8974314

I am confused, I just called my school and they confirmed that nothing has changed. I got my visa before October 2014 so before the doubling of hours, and I have got one year still. Not 6 months

And how can they make students having their visa before a law is passed, be subjected to that law?

Are they applying the law retroactively ?

That's illegal in any democratic country

You only had a visa that was valid for 3 months that gave you a 90 day entry. The only ED visa that is valid for a year is multiple entry visa that allows 90 entries.

Calling the tuition you paid a one year visa is wrong. Immigration and the MOE have no obligation to honor that.

My school also says that I don't need the multi-entry visa, just single entry but I found this recent post by UbonJoe saying that I need multi-entry to get the 1 year visa now. Not sure if I've understood that correctly.

Apparently if I want to leave the country I just need to get an exit permit, which costs 1000 baht at immigration or the airport.

That't not an issue because multi-entry is not issued at consulates near by. So you would obtain extensions of stay at immigration and re-entry permit in cse you need to travel.

Note, staying on ED visa extensions has become very expensive, time consuming and even hassling because of treatment by Immigration. You can read the many related threads. Consider if it wouldn't be better for you to stay on tourist visa instead. You could still study, that's legal.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=1&t=781533&qpid=8974314

I am confused, I just called my school and they confirmed that nothing has changed. I got my visa before October 2014 so before the doubling of hours, and I have got one year still. Not 6 months

And how can they make students having their visa before a law is passed, be subjected to that law?

You only had a visa that was valid for 3 months that gave you a 90 day entry. The only ED visa that is valid for a year is multiple entry visa that allows 90 entries.

Calling the tuition you paid a one year visa is wrong. Immigration and the MOE have no obligation to honor that.

Don't make the same mistake we did

we are all stuck with ED visas'extensions getting more and more difficult to get

If I could change my single ED visa to a multiple and avoid these extension nightmares I would

The fact remains that I don't have to leave the country after 6 months since I am in my 7th months like many others.

So no, nothing has changed for my school, and my course is STILL a one year course, allowing me to renew my stay up to one whole year.

Edited by Kitsune

You should contact the embassy in Jakarta to find out their requirements to get the ED visa. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/jakarta/en/organize/17506-Address.html

You might mention to your friend that he also should check with the embassy about the tourist visa. Reports are that they require proof of accommodation for each 60 day entry and tickets out of the country.

I would listen to the school, they have the most updated information. Of course, they're sometimes wrong, but they have hundreds/thousands of students going in and out every week so have reports of crossings.

Another reason is, if you go to Jakarta and get screwed, your school might be all, "I told you so; it's your problem now." If you do exactly as they say, then they're more likely to assist in any way possible.

Also, if you want to make it quick, there's no point going on a Saturday as the visa office doesn't open until Monday morning.

Regarding ED visa at an embassy my school told me Vientiane was the quickest way to do it, it was wrong information, Savannakhet was.

Regarding ED visa at an embassy my school told me to chose a single entry visa, it was definitely a wrong move, that I deeply regretted.

Regarding ED visa at an embassy my school told me Vientiane was the quickest way to do it, it was wrong information, Savannakhet was.

Regarding ED visa at an embassy my school told me to chose a single entry visa, it was definitely a wrong move, that I deeply regretted.

Right, Savannakhet had the one day visa service. Although this may have changed according to this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794602-savannakhet-thai-consulate-stop-same-day-service-1st-feb-2015/

post-24765-0-46685300-1422145745.jpg

There's a multiple entry ED visa?! I had no idea. How would that work, after 3 months you just exit and reenter? This bypasses needing to get an extension?

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. This is really a useful and constructive forum.

It sounds like despite what the school says, I'm way better getting a multiple entry visa. They say that if I apply for a multiple entry visa, it costs THB 3800 more, which means I can come and go as many times as I want without paying (I think I still need to apply for re-entry permit though). But they also say that immigration will ask you to justify the need to come and go so many times and will think that you are not genuinely studying because of the multile entry request. They also said that it will reflect poorly on future applications.

That't not an issue because multi-entry is not issued at consulates near by. So you would obtain extensions of stay at immigration and re-entry permit in cse you need to travel.

Note, staying on ED visa extensions has become very expensive, time consuming and even hassling because of treatment by Immigration. You can read the many related threads. Consider if it wouldn't be better for you to stay on tourist visa instead. You could still study, that's legal.

If Multi-entry is not issued at consulates nearby (to Thailand?), do you know what countries in Asia I could get one from or how I could find out?

Yes, I read on ThaiVisa that one can get a double entry tourist visa from Jakarta, which would provide 6 months for a THB 2K. It is an attractive option, however to become a permanent resident one requires to have 3 years of back to back non immigrant type visas, such as an ED visa. I have also already paid 2K to the school for the paperwork. Along with 3 months of classes up front (3 hours per day, 5 days a week). Also as Ubonjoe mentioned, they may require prepaid flights out of the country. But thanks for the suggestion.

The reason I'd like to go to Indonesia is to enjoy with my friend and enjoy my time there rather than going out of the country as a chore. I'll consider Savanakhet for future ED visa applications too considering it's reputation as a fast visa processing centre.

Bottom line and questions to the forum: Sounds like multi entry is the way to go. I've heard people say the multi entry ED visa is better than the single entry, but can we elaborate a bit more on why that is and how it works with regards to length of stay and leaving and reentering the country? If it's not done near Thailand, where can I get it done in Asia - Is Jakarta an option?

Edit: Calling Jakarta embassy now to find out more. Will post back shortly.

Edited by Bear0Mack

I don't recall seeing any reports of getting a multiple entry non-ed visa within the region.

A multiple entry visa gives you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You have to leave every 90 days. If you do an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa you can get another 90 day entry giving a total stay of about 15 months from the visa.

I don't recall seeing any reports of getting a multiple entry non-ed visa within the region.

A multiple entry visa gives you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You have to leave every 90 days. If you do an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa you can get another 90 day entry giving a total stay of about 15 months from the visa.

The Rule as I understand and which has been reinforced many times to me is that an Ed Visa application can be for a Single Entry only. Although, I am aware that some European "Honorary" consulates will issue Multi.

If Multi-entry is not issued at consulates nearby (to Thailand?), do you know what countries in Asia I could get one from or how I could find out?

Should be available in Australia.

Yes, I read on ThaiVisa that one can get a double entry tourist visa from Jakarta, which would provide 6 months for a THB 2K. It is an attractive option, however to become a permanent resident one requires to have 3 years of back to back non immigrant type visas, such as an ED visa.

Permanent residency is expensive and purposely made painfully difficult to obtain, for one you must be working with an high salary. Forget about it.

The Rule as I understand and which has been reinforced many times to me is that an Ed Visa application can be for a Single Entry only. Although, I am aware that some European "Honorary" consulates will issue Multi.

There is no rule that states a non-ed visa can only be issued as a single entry. There are just some embassies and consulate that will not issue them.

There have been several reports of embassies and official Thai consulates issuing them but not within the region.

I was working in Jakarta in 2012 and I found the Jakarta Thai embassy quite helpful and easy to deal with aside from the fact that they take their sweet time issueing a visa. I was able to get a one year multiple marriage, my first, and in fact I didn't even know at the time about such things, having been on work permits in Thailand for ages.

I would call them. Unlike the Thai consulate in Seoul, Korea or Vientiane, they actually seemed to have a policy of picking up the phone and actually listening and answering questions clearly and correctly.

Don't make the same mistake we did

we are all stuck with ED visas'extensions getting more and more difficult to get

If I could change my single ED visa to a multiple and avoid these extension nightmares I would

Consider this! Go to Jakarta with your friend and get a tourist visa.... As many entries as possible. Study on the tourist visa. You will thank us later.

As soon as my extensions for my ed visa are finished, I will be doing the same.

• Like 1

Well. I've booked my flight to Jakarta and allowed Monday to Wednesday for sorting out my visa. I'm going to get a single entry, as they say that they only offer single entry, and my school recommends single entry. Fingers cross it all goes well. I'll post back with results.

Well. I've booked my flight to Jakarta and allowed Monday to Wednesday for sorting out my visa. I'm going to get a single entry, as they say that they only offer single entry, and my school recommends single entry. Fingers cross it all goes well. I'll post back with results.

You will be in the depths of hell with the rest of us come 90 days and you are stuck at CW immigration for anywhere between 4 and 6 hours attempting to get an extension.

You don't get it do you?

Getting a single visa is a piece of cake.

What you'll be getting is a visa of 3 months, that would be very difficult, time-consuming and expensive to extend.

My only other choice is to go back to Australia to get my ED visa because nowhere else around here processes it. And from what I understand on this forum thread, if I get a multiple entry I MUST leave every 90 days regardless, right?

No! Your other choice is a tourist visa! You can study Thai on a tourist visa.

Have you been reading any of the threads on the current situation regarding ed visas? If you have, I am shocked you would still opt for one.

Edited by inbangkok

I've read many other threads on the current situation regarding ED visas. From what I understand, people are having trouble getting extensions and re-entry permits granted because of poor Thai language skills. Other people are complaining it's a bit expensive. Well, I've already paid my school the 2K baht for the paperwork. I'm genuinely studying Thai 15 hours a week at school, 3 hours a week at night class, and 6 hours a week with language exchange partners. I don't really see what I have to fear. I'm dedicated and learning Thai very quickly.

I've read many other threads on the current situation regarding ED visas. From what I understand, people are having trouble getting extensions and re-entry permits granted because of poor Thai language skills. Other people are complaining it's a bit expensive. Well, I've already paid my school the 2K baht for the paperwork. I'm genuinely studying Thai 15 hours a week at school, 3 hours a week at night class, and 6 hours a week with language exchange partners. I don't really see what I have to fear. I'm dedicated and learning Thai very quickly.

You might be doing all of that but who is supplying the paperwork to support an extension of stay ?

You have clearly not read over the threads then. People who can speak, read and write Thai have been getting 30 day extensions at the same cost of 1,900. People who can only speak a bit and never attend class have been getting 90 days. I have no idea what has led you to believe you are special and that you will not face the same B.S. EVERYONE else is facing as well. Being dedicated to learning Thai quickly is great. However, that will have absolutely nothing to do with your extensions when you get to immigration. If is 100% up to the IO you deal with and the mood he/she is in that day.

I am also very curious what shady school charged you 2,000 baht for documents. I paid my school roughly 200 baht for the initial documents which was to cover printing costs.

Right, Savannakhet had the one day visa service. Although this may have changed according to this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794602-savannakhet-thai-consulate-stop-same-day-service-1st-feb-2015/

There's a multiple entry ED visa?! I had no idea. How would that work, after 3 months you just exit and reenter? This bypasses needing to get an extension?

I was referring to what my school said to me LAST YEAR (when that was true)

My point was to demonstrate schools ARE NOT the best source of info

My only other choice is to go back to Australia to get my ED visa because nowhere else around here processes it. And from what I understand on this forum thread, if I get a multiple entry I MUST leave every 90 days regardless, right?

No that's the beauty of it.

You can make extension OR leave

Let's say you want to test the water and go to immigration... then you realize it's a nightmare, you just leave and comeback !

I can't wait to hear from your 1st extension report clap2.gif

Are you in BKK ?