Beware of cheap tour packages to Krabi, Satun

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Tourists shopping for cheap packages to two popular destinations of Krabi and Satun have been warned to turn down the offers if they are too good to be true.

The advice came from the deputy chairman of the Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA), Charoen Wang-anon who said more than ten firms have been preying on tourists who look for discounted packages at tourism promotion fairs.

Charoen said these firms have been systematically luring tourists with discounts between 30 to 50 per cent. And they often used tourism promotion fairs to prey on customers.

Charoen said the TTAA has banned some ten firms with suspicious background from joining the 16th Thai International Travel Fair at the Queen Sirikit Convention Hall from February 25 to March 1 for fear that they would cheat tourists again.

He said the cheating firms often offered discounted packages to Krabi ad Lipe Island of Satun.

The cheating firms initially operated at loss to really provide accommodations and traveling at the promised prices by shouldering the cost higher than the money they collected from the package buyers. After the first groups of tourists returned, they would post reviews to confirm that the packages were really cheap and they were not deceived.

The reviews then helped many more victims to bite the bait. This time, when such firms sold high number of packages, they disappeared and the tourists lost their money, Charoen said. The firms would later resurface with new names.

He urged the governors of the two provinces to take certain actions to prevent damage to their provinces’ reputation, saying so far no firms have been charged in court yet as police took time to gather complaints and tourists often let the cheaters go.

And how are people to know if a 30% discount is too good to be true, or simply a discount..

Perhaps instead of putting the burden on the consumer, and damaging the industry, how about prosecuting the scammers..

Shouldn't be too hard in these days of Google and mobile Internet.

And how are people to know if a 30% discount is too good to be true, or simply a discount..

Perhaps instead of putting the burden on the consumer, and damaging the industry, how about prosecuting the scammers..

Shouldn't be too hard in these days of Google and mobile Internet.

Really ?? How ??

I get discounted offers all the time.. Booking.com offers me regular discounts, flipkey offers apartments and villas at a fraction of what agents charge.. Priceline allows you to big on rooms for deals far more than this.

So "in this age of google and mobile internet" how exactly are consumers supposed to know ??

Or in other words ... the Thais don't like free market competition and this scaremongering is design to keep that status-quo; that is allowing Thais to charge extortionate rates.

If they are really that worried about protecting tourists from being ripped off then they should look to their own first ... JetSkis, Double Pricing (10x if you look at national parks) Murders and the list goes on.

" police took time to gather complaints and tourists often let the cheaters go."

Erm, regarding the first part of the sentence - now there's a surprise, and come to think about it, so is the second part! (I think I'd be a bit wary of trying to apprehend any Thais, especially those that are likely to have "Island" connections)

Well, I jsut assume something is wrong with those 15 Dollar Rolexes. Likewise, I give a wide berth to any tours that sound too good to be true.

And I very much doubt that above tours can be found on booking.com or the like.

True, but prosecution rarely happens, the old Lonely planet book what happened to that? maybe can not keep up with it, I learnt a lesson I bought a Bus ticket from a guest house in Chiang Mai to BK, the bus broke down half way to BK (staged)

in the middle of nowhere, the Bus leaked in the rain, the bus was packed with obnoxious back packers and when the bus arrived in BK most on board found that their bags were rifled and robbed.

My saving grace was the lady opposite the guest house whose place I ate at told me to beware of buying tickets and tours from these sorts of outlets as they rob the bags that are in the downstairs storage.

I kept my bag with me.

Never again I always travel on the government busses or Sombat which are pretty reliable.

The other problem is that most newcomers to Thailand never listen to advice.

DIY is a good thing to learn and only buy from reputable travel agents

• Like 1