Growing roses in Chiang Mai

BonnieandClyde

They seem to always grow roses on the mountain tops.

Which probably means they won't do well in the valley.

I tried tomatoes and peppers, wasted my time all eaten by bugs.

I've only managed to grow stuff inside.

Edited by BritManToo

Yes, the David Austin roses are bred for fragrance and Austin does a good job of policing the licenses and quality of the growers authorized to propagate their roses. We didn't offer many Austin roses at our nursery in Michigan because only a few varieties have the winter-hardiness needed for a U.S. northern climate. 

I would image they'd do well in Vietnam if they get some true winter chill, like they have in England.  It's a mis-statement that roses in a hot climate "go dormant" in the heat.  They just stop producing quality flowers.  It's a good time to prune the bushes back hard and strip the leaves to "force dormancy", but it's not really the quality dormancy you get with a period of chill. 

Graham Thomas is one of their best and most famous roses.   

On 6/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, NancyL said:

I would image they'd do well in Vietnam if they get some true winter chill, like they have in England.  It's a mis-statement that roses in a hot climate "go dormant" in the heat.  They just stop producing quality flowers.  It's a good time to prune the bushes back hard and strip the leaves to "force dormancy", but it's not really the quality dormancy you get with a period of chill. 

Graham Thomas is one of their best and most famous roses.   

It is so true...I am testing the roses I have by pruning them back and yes they are still developing well, only the flowers are not so good. Thank you for your information.

Could you please recommend a(few) rose plant(s) you like because of the fragrant, form, and strong disease resistance, any shrub one? I would love to hear the vote from an expert. 

Thank you

On 6/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, Bill97 said:

Is this thread about growing roses in Chiang Mai?  If so why posts about growing them in Vietnam?

The OP is living in Vietnam and he thought he could come to Chiang Mai to purchase roses.  He found a licensed David Austin nursery in Thailand and is looking forward to a trip here when travel restrictions ease.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, hthuonghuong said:

It is so true...I am testing the roses I have by pruning them back and yes they are still developing well, only the flowers are not so good. Thank you for your information.

Could you please recommend a(few) rose plant(s) you like because of the fragrant, form, and strong disease resistance, any shrub one? I would love to hear the vote from an expert. 

Thank you

As I wrote earlier, we didn't grow many DA roses because few had the winter hardiness needed for Michigan.  However, Michigan has hot, humid summers so ones that did well there would have the disease resistance needed for a humid, SE Asia climate.

All the DA roses are fragrant.  This is one of the goals of their breeding program.  Most have blooms that are very full, also.  

In my opinion, a must-have is Mary Rose.  

I suggest you visit the Garden Web's Rose Forum and start to hang out there, chatting with people who grow roses in climates, similar to yours.  It's been 12 years since I grew roses, so I'm not up on the newest varieties and I didn't garden in a climate like Vietnam.  

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

The OP is living in Vietnam and he thought he could come to Chiang Mai to purchase roses.  He found a licensed David Austin nursery in Thailand and is looking forward to a trip here when travel restrictions ease.

Seems to me that the original post and next one by the OP are pretty clear he/she is in CM and talking about growing roses in CM.  The person who hijacked the thread mid page 2 is the one you are talking about who lives in Viennam.  But what's new? Still quit close to topic as things go.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I have DA, HT and floribunda roses in my garden in the Philippines, all sourced from the US. I was searching for authorized seller of DA roses in Thailand, hoping it might be easier than ordering from the US. Do Rakmit Roses or other rose sellers

ship internationally? My DA roses (Charles Darwin, Benjamin Britten, Lady of Shallot and Gentle Hermione) are supposed to be shrubs but in the tropics they grow like climbers and have to be pruned hard. Same for the hybrid teas (Memorial Day, Pope John Paul II). Only the floribundas behave as shrubs.